New to renting points, how do you piece together points from different people to get your reservation?

skbyrne

Earning My Ears
So, if I'm trying to rent points for two studios (2 BR villa too much for my family), and I see someone with a great deal on points, but it's not enough to cover my days/rooms, what do I do? Do I look for another set of points? Do I need to inform Disney of the two separate reservations so that we don't have to change rooms etc?

For example, coming */26-*/3. Family of 6, but only 5 coming at first in one room, then one more shows up later so I have to get another room:
1 room (5 ppl): */26-*/3
1 room (1 person): */29-*/3

* Dates removed - Chuck S

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but you're looking way to late to rent points for reservations in a couple of weeks. There are no DVC rooms available for point bookings for all of your nights. Definitely not studios. You would need to find 2 confirmed reservations for rent for those dates and that is very unlikely.

If there were rooms available then the best way to book 2 rooms if you couldn't find an owner with enough points for both would be to find 1 owner to book one of the reservations and another owner to book the second room.

And even if there were now availability, booking within the next 30 days is very risky for owners, because if the renter ends up not confirming the reservation, they would end up with points on holding. This means they would probably ask you to pay the full amount before booking the reservation, but while the payment clears the availability might be gone.
However, if you find someone who is trying to rent points on holding, they might both give you a great price and book within two weeks, but the chances of finding two studios is very very slim.

DVC (especially studios) is not designed for last minute travel. Best bet is booking through Disney reservations which will be pricey for villas and you still may find NO studio availability.

DVC (especially studios) is not designed for last minute travel. Best bet is booking through Disney reservations which will be pricey for villas and you still may find NO studio availability.

If you are seeing availability for studios at POLY on the Disney website, please realize that these are an entirely different inventory and are not available for DVC members to make bookings on points.

There isn't a single DVC studio available for your dates, much less 2. As others have pointed out, timeshares need to be booked far in advance. A sporatic day or two may pop up here and there, but not full weeks, even at the larger resorts like SSR, OKW and AKV.

Hopefully you have a plan B in place.

Since the OP may be hypothetical dates...and is new to renting...

You will book some nights with one own, other nights with other owner(s). You do not actually rent "points" but a reservation made for you by the DVC Owner. Each owner would need to call Member Services and inform them of the continuing reservation once all the reservations are complete. I would also tell them at the front desk when you check-in that it is a continuing reservation, and you would prefer not to change rooms. You still may have to do so unfortunately, and either way, you would need to check in at the desk for each segment of the reservation.

5 people in a studio, though allowed, is really a stretch space-wise and privacy wise. I'd break the group up after the second studio comes online. And remember, OKW has two real queen beds in a studio, other resorts will have a queen ans sleeper sofa and/or a queen and murphy bed (s). Even in studio designed for 5 people, like Poly, it would be cramped.

Last edited:
As already mentioned, DVC reservations need to be made well in advance. When you rent, you are renting a reservation from an owner, not "points". They are making the reservation with their points for you. So, to secure two rooms, you would need to find an owner to book what you want, which means, someone who has points to rent your entire stay, at least for each room. Trying to rent a few days from one owner and a few from another might get tricky as each would have to let member services know to note it on your reservation that you have a continuing reservation under a different number. As you are not the owner, when you check in, if things were not noted correctly, it might be very difficult for you and you could indeed have to change rooms mid stream.

Another thing you should be aware of - in general DVC rooms do not connect (except at Vero Beach and the Poly IIRC), and a request to have two rooms nearby is just a request. So if your family involves young children, you could end up with two studios a floor or a hundred yards down a hallway apart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter