New to runDisney. Got some questions.

mbrittb00

DIS Veteran
My wife and I are wanting to do the Kessel Run in 2018. We've never done a Disney race so I've got some questions.

Let me start with my questions about registration. I know that to complete the Kessel Run you have to complete the Light Side 1/2 Marathon in Anaheim in January and the Dark Side 1/2 Marathon in Orlando the following April. (Both in the same calendar year). As I understand the Orlando races fill up quickly. I would hate to complete the Light Side and be unable to even get registered for the Dark Side. I know that there are the charities and travel providers that you can book through to get into races that are "sold out". From looking at the current Dark Side page for next April, there aren't any travel providers (like there is for the Light side on January). Do the travel providers only show up after registration begins and thus is a fall back position if you can't get registered directly or is there a way to contract with one of the travel providers ahead of time to "guarantee" your bib. And if so is there a listing somewhere of who they are?

I also have a couple of questions about the races themselves. As I understand it in order to get an "official" time, you have to finish with an average pace under 16 min/mi. But do you have to finish with that pace to get the medal for the race? To complete the Challenge? To complete the Coast to Coast? I'm honestly not concerned for either my wife or myself finishing in time, but about some others that we are considering inviting to join us.

Thanks.

Once you start down the runDisney path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume your checkbook it will.

Now that we have that admonition out of the way, I'll share my experience with you. The speed with which runDisney races sell out has varied. For a period, the races were selling out within hours of going on sale to the general public. The inaugural Avengers 1/2 and Star Wars 1/2 at Disneyland each sold out in less than 2 hours. However, that pace appears to have slowed down. I'm not sure if the 2nd Avengers 1/2 ever sold out and the 2nd Star Wars 1/2 took a few months.

As of today, the 2017 Star Wars 1/2 at Disneyland is available and Dark Side 1/2 Registration went live this morning. Last I knew, only the Dark Side 10K has sold out. All other races including the Dark Side Challenge is still available. If this trend continues, you could register for both races on the same day and thus know you're in. But this trend must continue. Things could change overnight for runDisney events.

I've only used a travel provider once to secure a bib. It was for the Inaugural Star Wars Rebel Challenge at Disneyland and I was glad I did. That event sold out in 25 minutes on general registration day. A few things you need to keep in mind. Disney puts certain requirements on all providers who sell bibs. Those requirements vary depending on the race. For example, when I used a travel provider for the 2015 Star Wars Rebel Challenge, I had to purchase a 1 day, 1 park ticket to Disneyland. I do know that the 2017 Dark Side 1/2 package from that same provider requires a minimum hotel stay. I don't remember if it also requires park tickets. Now that I'm on the email list, I see their race updates frequently. They usually get their package before general registration goes on sale and sometimes even before AP/DVC goes up. I knew about the Dark Side 2017 package before AP/DVC opened up.

Just keep in mind that each race may have a different requirement from runDisney. Do not assume that just because race A required park tickets only that race B will also require that. Do your research and make sure you know what you're in for. I used Acclaim Travel and would recommend them to anyone. You can have your spot taken care of before registration day. I signed up for the 2015 Rebel Challenge one day before it opened to everyone and watched the insanity unfold knowing I had my spot already.

Now for race pace. Hopefully, this is straightforward. The pace is set by the balloon ladies. They start in the last corral and carry balloons during the race. Once they cross the start line, every runner must keep pace with them or remain ahead of them. The 3 hours, 30 minutes requirement is set by the balloon ladies. This is how you could have a race pace of more than 3 hours, 30 minutes (required 16 minute per mile pace) and still not be swept so long as you finish ahead of them.

One very important factor to keep in mind. Your race pace is determined by how long it takes you to finish each mile. I know of some ladies that were averaging a 9 minute mile in the inaugural Star Wars 1/2 at Disneyland when they actually ran. However, because they waited in line for every character in the parks during the race, they were swept from the race because their actual pace was well over the required 16 minute per mile pace since some of those lines were 25 minutes at the shortest.

When you register, you will be asked for an estimated finish time to determine your corral placement. If you have never run a race before, you will be placed in the last corral automatically. To be placed in a different corral, you must provide a proof of finish from a certified course. Starting in the last corral is not a problem. Just be aware that you will have less time to stop for photo ops, characters, et all during the race, and depending on your pace may not have any time at all.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have any other questions.

Welcome to the RunDisney addiction!

If you have friends that might not be too fast, you need an honest discussion how much time running takes if they aren't active people. You might want to show them Couch to 5K to start now with fall running season. They could train and run a Thanksgiving 5K 2016. If they don't, you might know the training and commitment a half takes is not for them right now.

If they stick, have your group Use a Galloway plan for for a local race or two or three in 2017. This will build their confidence. It will help determine if they will run long distances regularly or if not, it will teach them the time you need to build up your mileage and that you KNOW you can do it, and do it under 16 min. It may give them some submission times for corral placement!

I am quite slow, but I can run/walk a half under 3 hours without distractions. When I run Disney, I tend to target very few picture stops. i tend to research who is likely to be out there and pick one. I get that castle shot too. ;).

For DL, I have used Get Travel for park tickets as well as for a race bib package. They were just fine. You just pop in and get your park tickets from them at the expo.

All the best!

Thank you all for responding. And while I appreciate all the information you did give, unfortunately neither of you were able to fully answer either of my two main questions.

The first of those being, is there a way to know who the travel providers are BEFORE the race sells to the public (They weren't listed as of a couple of days prior to the Dark side going live) so you can arrange and book with them to "guarantee" a bib.

The second is are you required to finish in the 16min/mile pace in order to receive the medal for that race AND the associated challenge AND the associated coast-to-coast. Is not getting swept enough? In other words, lets say you are in one of the early corrals, and stop for a few photos, and as a result your overall time is a pace slower 16 min/mile, but you started such that you didn't get swept.

I know that 1/2 marathons aren't for everyone and I know it take training in order to complete. I'm also familar with couch to 5k (which a lot of people have bad things to say about) and the Galloway methods (which conversely most people seem to like). My questing is mainly so that I can be up front and honest with them.

Any more details you could provide on either of these big questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

fairly new to this runDisney also, what I did for travel agency, was to check out a race that occurs before the one you want on the same side of the country, and emailed a few of them so I am now on their email list so they email when they get bibs. so you could go ahead and do that now, of course there is nothing to say the same angencie will be there for 2018, but you will have gotten yourself on their emails, so should get updates. As far as medals, this is how I understand it, even if you get swept you will get the medal for that particular race, but will not get the challenge medals. It's not so much you must keep a 16min pace, as people who stop for picture mostly wont have that. If you want to be assured of your challenge medals, you must stay in front of the balloon ladies. keep in mind you are placed in a corral according to the time you give RunDisney. so for example lets say you are in coral D and there are E and F behind you, Corral A will take off at 630am, corral B 640am, Corral C 650am.... corral F the last one will take off at 710am, the balloon ladies will be at tha very back of that corral, so lets say they take off at 715am, that's when the 16min/mil pace is set, so since you took off in C you now have a 25min lead in front of the balloon ladies, so let's say your running the 10K and you know you can run it at a 14min pace, you know have the 25mins plus 2mins per mile that you can stop to take pictures and still be ahead of them. Hope this makes sense

The second is are you required to finish in the 16min/mile pace in order to receive the medal for that race AND the associated challenge AND the associated coast-to-coast. Is not getting swept enough? In other words, lets say you are in one of the early corrals, and stop for a few photos, and as a result your overall time is a pace slower 16 min/mile, but you started such that you didn't get swept.

My understanding, which is by no means an official rundisney stance, is that if you finish the race (thus not get swept) you will receive the medal for the race, the challenge medal, and the coast-to-coast. There is no time threshold other than sweeping. If you theoretically started in corral A, and were to maximize your time, you could theoretically take 4.5 hours for the half marathon (20:37 min/mile) and still receive all three medals. I stress this is hypothetical. In the time I have spent on this board, I don't believe I've ever heard a story of someone who finished but was refused one of the three discussed types of medals. However, this is how it has been in the past and by no means guarantees the future practice of medal awarding (see recent removal of deferrals as precedence with making changes without notice prior to registration of an event). Hope this helps!

As far as travel providers... The main travel providers associated with runDisney generally provide bibs for all races. Just pick one that looks good to you and contact them with questions and to get on their waiting list for upcoming bibs. (Yes, you can sign up with them before the race. It's a way to guarantee your spots without reg day hassle but there are additional requirements like booking tickets and/or hotel room with the agent.) As mentioned above, there's Acclaim and Get Travel; there's also Go Magical Miles. Good luck!

I can't help with the travel agent question, but I can on the pace / medal query.

Yes, if you start and finish, you will receive all applicable medals.

When you pick up you bib at the expo, you will receive wristbands that identify you as a challenge medal and coast to coast medal recipient. A cast member will also take your picture with your bib. When you finish the race, you immediately receive your race medal and then walk to the designated tents (you'll be herded that way .... Hard to miss) to get your C2C and challenge medals.

Welcome to the addiction!

If you have more questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Brian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter