New TV , yes or no?

Sjm9911

DIS Veteran
Ok , so i have a 2011 1500 crew cab gmc sierra tow pacage and loaded, minty, 70k miles. It tows my 5500lb loaded TT ok. But is it getting long in the tooth. A New 2500 gas engien crew cab are selling for about 50k $$ now. Im sure i can get that lower and get some $$ 19k for my truck as a trade in. Im i just board? Or do i need a new TV?

At first I thought we were talking about a television...

When this quarantine is over I think its fair to say we will see good vehicle prices and rebates. I can't attest to the gas burner but bigger size certainly tows better.

2011 and 70,000 miles really isn't long in the tooth in my opinion. If its paid for, in a shaky economy, might be better to sit and watch.

@Sjm9911 its always fun to look even if you dont need, especially when you can't plan too many vacations. We are always looking at Class As, even though i am not expecting to get a new to me one for another 5 to 7 years. I am with @tiggerdad am going to sit and wait, could be interesting things to think about in a few months. See how that economy goes.

I know where you are coming from on looking for a truck. My F350 is also a 2011. It has just under 120,000. I just replaced all the belts and pulleys. I am doing the upper and lower radiator hoses today. It has had a coolant smell for awhile, but I can't find evidence of a leak anywhere. These Ford 6.7 diesels have 2 coolant systems though and I suspect there is a small leak in the secondary system that has small hoses going everywhere; turbo, trans cooler, power steering cooler, intercooler, fuel cooler, oil cooler and it's own little radiator.

The fuel gauge stopped working 2 weeks ago. That is a "drop the tank" job, which isn't too bad, except the sending unit is built into the pump starting on the 2011. The sending unit/pump is $250 instead of $35 for the 2010.

All in, the truck still runs great and should have lots of miles left. It's paid for, tows anything well and it's still cheaper to fix the little stuff than have another truck payment for now.

As far as moving up to a 250(0)/350(0), like others have said, they will tow much better. They will just feel more stable. With a 5500 lb trailer, you would barely notice it was back there. When I went from an Explorer to an F250 diesel, I didn't need WD bars or the dual sway controls I needed towing the 6500 TT I had. The problem was, having a much more capable TV led to getting a much more capable camper. :)

j

Try replacing the radiator caps. I had a problem like that a long tile ago. Smell but no leak. Replaced the cap and problem disappeared.

I had the same issue on my 2012, could always smell coolant, as sjm noted, changed the cap and problem solved

I had the same issue on my 2012, could always smell coolant, as sjm noted, changed the cap and problem solved
I have new caps, along with the hoses. There isn't an actual radiator cap on the primary side, just a screw on cap on the degas (overflow) bottle. The secondary side has a small radiator type cap on the degas bottle.

I have the upper hose replaced. There are 2 lower hoses. The one that connects to the radiator has a heater hose coming off one fitting. Now I'm pulling a battery, battery box and a sub-panel for the electrical to get to the firewall. Squeezing this in between meetings/calls as the day goes on. I'll post pics in the Truck/Towing topic. Despite this being a huge truck, there isn't much excess room under the hood.

j

Im i just board? Or do i need a new TV?

I'd say you're just board, Sjm9911. :rotfl:

Speaking as a non-certified financial planner, taking on $31k in payments (I assume) for something "nice" is not something I would advise my client. Even if you could get the price down further, I'd still be out of my comfort zone.

Of course there's a cross-over point somewhere that might cause me to pull the trigger but I don't know what it is. And if you were older, retired, and ready to go on a cross-country six month trip out west, that might be a legit reason to pull the trigger too.

So sure, it's fun to look and plan for the future (which I am having fun doing) but I'm not going to act until I have to. Unless I had excess cash laying around. I can gather up my nickels, dimes, and dollar bills then see how far it gets me.

Bama Ed

Unfortunately, due to my job , i will eaither be promoted or layed off. Lol. So , i may be retired soon! That adds another dimension to this.

Wow, saw the new TV and thought an RV remodel was in the works. Meant to read it earlier but just got to it.
Funny all this new truck stuff. I have a 2011 Tahoe with about 135k, plus an extra 25k of being pulled like a trailer. It's what we tow behind the coach. It's very nice, but I miss my pickup. There's a lot of stuff you can't do in the Tahoe like carry tall stuff. I'm looking at ordering a Silverado. I keep getting these "we'll pay you $13k for your Tahoe, plus like 84 months financing. No payment for 4 months, etc. Basically looking for something I can tow behind the MH and can put the Golf cart in at the same time. Anyway, that's my story.

$19,000 for a 2011 trade in? Add in 7 years of loan payments? Personally, I say it's a trap like Admiral Akbar. However, it is your money and you are more than free to spend it any way you want. Take pictures when you get your new truck.

Lol. I am going to look in the am. If i really , really need it. Oh , wait, thats really want it. Ill get it. I do see thats its really a want, and not a need right now. If im not totally blown away, ill stick with what i got. I like my truck, i would like a bit more power, but i did tow down to disney and back with no problems.

A 2500 tows so much better. :)
And my 3500 Duramax Dually tows even better than that. I had a 2500 Duramax (2018) and it was a gem. Then I got the upgraded TV (Jayco 5er) and discovered the pin weight exceeded book limit for the truck bed (didn't do my homework very well). Upgraded to 3500 Dually Diesel (2018) and have been thankful ever since! Ford does have the best color palettes for vehicles anywhere, though. Good looking trucks.
I read your thread title and jumped on it as our Furrion gave up the ghost last trip and we are in the market for a new 50" TV for the 5er. Never mind.....that's a whole nuther thread, I suppose.

I'm debating what I do when my truck needs replacing. I just priced out a new F350 just like my current one. $75,000 and that was after the $5500 dealer "discount".

I'm debating selling everything and looking for a used diesel pusher. That's dependent on what I end up doing in 8 years when I retire. Beach condo and keep the current camper or MH and someplace south further away from the beach. If I go the beach condo route, I'm strongly considering the PAHunter path.

image01.jpg

$45,000, 347,000 miles so MANY, MANY more to go. This is one for sale near me. 2016 Volvo 670. These can be had for under $40k depending on age and mileage. That is a fraction of a new F350 and it will easily go twice the miles.

We'll see. It depends on how long my current truck lasts before I lose confidence in taking long trips.

j

Ok this is harder then it looks, the one delership never called me back, i left 3 messages. I called another and was told online purchases only, ok so i asked for the best price, i got no response. The 3rd dealer said they only do test drives for leases or purchases, ok well im trying to buy one but i have to see if i fit in it first........I'm thinking it was not ment to be. I guess i can slum around in mu old truck for bit. It is in good shape and most of the work is done allready. I wanted more power for hills and such, even with the decent tow rating on my 1500, it still goes slow up the big hills i to PA and NYS. Thats what hazzards are for i guess. Thanks all. I do appreciate the advice, but this was just not ment to be.

With everything thats going on right now I can see how a test drive might not be practical. All the dealers around here are on limited services. Its likely that whatever sales people they have dont work every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!