New Uber ride category: Uber Comfort

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
This afternoon Uber announced a new category of rides in Miami, and Orlando also has this category. Just glancing at the list of cities, I think it may be available everywhere in Florida -- but definitely in the Orlando market.

The new ride class is called Uber Comfort. It features vehicles with more legroom and drivers who have at least a 4.85 rating for more than 250 rides. For example, in Miami a Toyota Corolla does NOT qualify for Comfort, but a Camry does. So you could expect either a full size sedan or SUV on a Comfort ride.

The number of riders is capped at 4, and it looks like the rider fares will be just a little more than X. I checked MCO to OKW and there was only about $3.50 difference.

I'd expect Lyft to do backflips for the next week trying to copy this change ASAP. These two companies copy each other shamelessly.

I wonder whether Uber X will be renamed “Uber Discomfort”.
Naw. I think they just want to offer a slightly higher-priced option. I get a number of rides where it's just a couple going to dinner, but they want more comfort and a better driver so they order XL.

This afternoon Uber announced a new category of rides in Miami, and Orlando also has this category. Just glancing at the list of cities, I think it may be available everywhere in Florida -- but definitely in the Orlando market.

The new ride class is called Uber Comfort. It features vehicles with more legroom and drivers who have at least a 4.85 rating for more than 250 rides. For example, in Miami a Toyota Corolla does NOT qualify for Comfort, but a Camry does. So you could expect either a full size sedan or SUV on a Comfort ride.

The number of riders is capped at 4, and it looks like the rider fares will be just a little more than X. I checked MCO to OKW and there was only about $3.50 difference.

I'd expect Lyft to do backflips for the next week trying to copy this change ASAP. These two companies copy each other shamelessly.

Is there a way to see which cars qualify for each category?

Is there a way to see which cars qualify for each category?
There is a list in the email to drivers on the Driver App, but I don't see any similar thing on the rider app...just the promise of more legroom.

The best comparison I can give you is that a Toyota Camry qualifies for Comfort; Carolla and smaller vehicles do not. So full-size, minivans, and SUV's would qualify (including Toyota Rav4), but not compact vehicles.

Of course, once a driver has accepted your ride request, you will be able to see what vehicle they are driving in your rider app.

I wonder how much of the extra fare goes to the driver.
So are the drivers!

Uber says it's more for the driver, but my app shows the same pay, which might be a glitch. One of my friends says it's about 10% more for the driver, but we'll just have to see.

If it is more, it won't be much because the rider fare is only a little higher.

I can see us using Comfort more often than not.
For the room.

ETA - Maybe not, forgot Ride Pass is only on X. Need to decide if we'd prefer the bigger car, and just cancel ride pass.

Naw. I think they just want to offer a slightly higher-priced option. I get a number of rides where it's just a couple going to dinner, but they want more comfort and a better driver so they order XL.
Is XL a better driver? You can't be "beginner" in that class?

Is XL a better driver? You can't be "beginner" in that class?
Honestly, I never thought of it that way until several riders told me they intentionally ordered XL because of 1) more room, and 2) better drivers. That's happened several times when I've had one person or a couple on an XL ride.

Sometimes riders order XL by mistake, so I inquire in order to show them how to avoid mistakes in the future. It matters here; XL is 2.3x the X fare here in Miami. But most of the time when I ask, they say no mistake.

And yes, I'm pretty sure a newbie can start out with XL. I did.

But if you order XL, you will almost certainly get someone driving their own car, rather than some new driver driving a car they rented for $180 per week. Newbies in rented cars can be exciting rides!

With Comfort, you will not get newbies -- they have to have at least 250 rides and a 4.85 or higher rating.

This is not an option I ever see myself using, Uber X has always been fine for me.

I think this is great. DH is tall and we don't always want to do an XL so this seems like a nice middle ground.

I like the idea of Comfort too for the airport. Only 2 of us riding, but it is 45 minutes away. And with Comfort being a little bigger car, luggage should be a better fit. We had 1 ride in a Scion that was kind of tight, but the driver put the extra suitcase in the front with him.

I like the idea of Comfort too for the airport. Only 2 of us riding, but it is 45 minutes away. And with Comfort being a little bigger car, luggage should be a better fit. We had 1 ride in a Scion that was kind of tight, but the driver put the extra suitcase in the front with him.
Yeah, we always go with XL when doing airport rides. I never trust the regular cars can fit our bags. So it will always be our option now. First try will be late tonight after we land in Orlando. Heading to the airport in 15 min :)

I wonder how much of the extra fare goes to the driver.
I got an answer to your question yesterday, Lewis. I did my first Uber Comfort ride, so now I have a comparison. On a 7 mile, 26 minute ride, Uber Comfort paid me about 21% more than I would have made on an X ride.

This probably is different in Orlando, because their rates are different -- but in Miami, Comfort costs about 18-20% more for the rider than X. So for most typical rides, about $2 more to the rider.

If Uber keeps the upgrade cost that small, I think a LOT of regular riders will use Comfort for the extra room and higher-rated drivers. The two ladies I drove were very pleased.

Used comfort twice so far
First at the airport. We landed about 10. I checked the app as we walked and there were no comfort cars available. Checked again after we got to the pick up zone and one had come on. Got him and he asked if we'd been waiting long. He said he had just signed on for work when I made my request

Used it again to go from Uni to Disney. Had no problem getting a vehicle this time

Both rides were really nice. Both driver's were sorts to offer little extras too. Like water, chargers, etc

Used comfort twice so far
First at the airport. We landed about 10. I checked the app as we walked and there were no comfort cars available. Checked again after we got to the pick up zone and one had come on. Got him and he asked if we'd been waiting long. He said he had just signed on for work when I made my request

Used it again to go from Uni to Disney. Had no problem getting a vehicle this time

Both rides were really nice. Both driver's were sorts to offer little extras too. Like water, chargers, etc
I offer multi-chargers that will charge just about anything and chilled Chandon Blanc de Noirs champagne.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!