New "Ultimate Nights" tour that skips Pandora lines

It gets boring around here...I'm Trying something new.

Let's see...Canada, Boston, cali, DC...

Yep...definitely all "screw em for money" hotbed areas.

It all makes sense now:sad2:

...and by the way - you didn't say you didn't live in Ohio.
They're all pay-through-the-nose-in-taxes areas... what's NOT taken we do like to spend on some nice vacation add-ons... :)

Never lived in Ohio. :(

It gets boring around here...I'm Trying something new.

Let's see...Canada, Boston, cali, DC...

Yep...definitely all "screw em for money" hotbed areas.

It all makes sense now:sad2:

...and by the way - you didn't say you didn't live in Ohio.
Then don't tell me to quit poking the bear. That can liven things up sometimes. ;)

I'm mulling over this idea of social responsibility when it comes to theme parks. The trouble is that the line is once again hard to find. We had a friend that told us that the Disney parks in general were unfair to poor children because they couldn't afford to go. This is back when the parks were really good and also much less expensive. I wonder what he thinks now.

WDW could be in danger of becoming only a rich person 's playground. I'm not even sure if the truly rich care much about such places. But what can be done? I don't really see a solution because no one is owed a Disney vacation.

They're all pay-through-the-nose-in-taxes areas... what's NOT taken we do like to spend on some nice vacation add-ons... :)

Never lived in Ohio. :(

I don't know about north of the border...but south, nobody has been "overtaxed" since the 1950's.

...I know...that pesky truth again...

I've booked. 2 of the nights I asked for in November were already booked out. They did say closed toe shoes, so that to me means something backstage. It does include some merch, probably a pin.
I'm spending a fortune to see Pandora, (it was the main factor in why the holiday is scheduled when it is) and this is an expensive way to take the pressure off. I know it's expensive, and by paying it I'm encouraging Disney to implement similar things for Star Wars and probably Toy Story, it probably makes me an irresponsible consumer.

I consider it like theatre tickets, some people pay an outrageous premium for 'the package' with A-reserve seats, a glass of bubbly, lanyard, and a program, while the person next to them just pays for their A-reserve tickets, and someone else is happy up the back of the dress circle with their obstructed view tickets. Looks like I'm doing the outrageous package this time.

I don't know about north of the border...but south, nobody has been "overtaxed" since the 1950's.

...I know...that pesky truth again...
LOL! Own property and pay local taxes in these places then tell me you're not overtaxed. There's a reason why businesses pick some areas and not others to set up these days. Part of that is about regulations, part about various taxes. Your certainty that you are the arbiter of "truth" in every circumstance is amusing. That usually work on people?

And Quebec is FAR worse. I won't even go there.

Last edited:
I'm mulling over this idea of social responsibility when it comes to theme parks. ...

I don't really see a solution because no one is owed a Disney vacation.
This is why I think a "social responsibility" argument with respect to something as unnecessary as a theme park just doesn't hold up.

It's not a human need/necessity. Outside of the notion of not supporting any company that might abuse people or resources (and I don't have Disney in that category!), I don't see a SR angle here.

Nice chatting with you folks but I'm going to jump off this thread. I feel bad for people ACTUALLY coming to discuss this offering... we've veered pretty far away now. That, and DIS keeps getting REALLY slow at times, and I have meetings to go to and thus OTHER people to debate with. ;)

it probably makes me an irresponsible consumer.
It doesn't! The day a Disney trip becomes a NECESSITY or Disney employs unethical practices, then we'll talk. :)

Ignore the judgment and just enjoy! And report back!

I've booked. 2 of the nights I asked for in November were already booked out. They did say closed toe shoes, so that to me means something backstage. It does include some merch, probably a pin.
I'm spending a fortune to see Pandora, (it was the main factor in why the holiday is scheduled when it is) and this is an expensive way to take the pressure off. I know it's expensive, and by paying it I'm encouraging Disney to implement similar things for Star Wars and probably Toy Story, it probably makes me an irresponsible consumer.

I consider it like theatre tickets, some people pay an outrageous premium for 'the package' with A-reserve seats, a glass of bubbly, lanyard, and a program, while the person next to them just pays for their A-reserve tickets, and someone else is happy up the back of the dress circle with their obstructed view tickets. Looks like I'm doing the outrageous package this time.

And carrying that analogy even further - even the cheapest tickets to a popular show on a Broadway are rather expensive and not everyone can afford it - or some people can and choose to spend their dollars there and then can't do Disney or can't afford a new car or a new used car or whatever

Everyone is in a different sotuation and put different value on where they want to spend their money.

LOL! Own property and pay local taxes in these places then tell me you're not overtaxed. There's a reason why businesses pick some areas and not others to set up these days. Part of that is about regulations, part about various taxes. Your certainty that you are the arbiter of "truth" in every circumstance is amusing. That usually work on people?

And Quebec is FAR worse. I won't even go there.

I live in an affluent metro suburb in NEW JERSEY!!!

are you kidding me?

By every statistic recorded - I'm severely "overtaxed"

However that's greedy and incorrect...cause I'm not overtaxed for what I receive.

Believe it, don't believe it...that's your call. But since you're a capitalist...If the market determines the prices, and the taxes are based off the markets...it's all good, ain't it?

And carrying that analogy even further - even the cheapest tickets to a popular show on a Broadway are rather expensive and not everyone can afford it - or some people can and choose to spend their dollars there and then can't do Disney or can't afford a new car or a new used car or whatever

Everyone is in a different sotuation and put different value on where they want to spend their money.

Was broadway built on a middle class model?

If so - then I can concede this point. Or was broadway built to cater to a certain demographic? We're they coming down from Hell's Kitchen to go see plays in the 40's?

What about Disney parks? No one has read buzz price's books, huh? Or really anyone who has researched anything prior to 2005?

Hmmm...I'm stumped.

Was broadway built on a middle class model?

If so - then I can concede this point. Or was broadway built to cater to a certain demographic? We're they coming down from Hell's Kitchen to go see plays in the 40's?

What about Disney parks? No one has read buzz price's books, huh? Or really anyone who has researched anything prior to 2005?

Hmmm...I'm stumped.

Maybe that is our big divide - I don't view Disney as Middle class ... to me it is more of a luxury item - a superior product offered at a superior price (which is why I always focus way more on the quality of the product provided rather than the price .... as long as the quality is there, people will pay the price. When that drops (or drops be low a certain point) then that is the issue)

This is a direct result (Good or bad) of anyone on here (Or otherwise) that paid extra for anything at WDW (Or even other Disney parks including DL) over the years.

This didn't happen over night. It has built up from popularity shown year after year for add ons.

These include WDW weddings, parties like dessert and MNSSHP, higher priced resort rooms each year, higher priced park passes each year etc.

Those are the guilty party that did not say no, even if they claim they do now during an obvious rebuild time and will be right back in saddle when these new lands like Star Wars open.

Either way, pay for what you want and can afford, ain't hard.

This is a direct result (Good or bad) of anyone on here (Or otherwise) that paid extra for anything at WDW (Or even other Disney parks including DL) over the years.

This didn't happen over night. It has built up from popularity shown year after year for add ons.

These include WDW weddings, parties like dessert and MNSSHP, higher priced resort rooms each year, higher priced park passes each year etc.

Those are the guilty party that did not say no, even if they claim they do now during an obvious rebuild time and will be right back in saddle when these new lands like Star Wars open.

Either way, pay for what you want and can afford, ain't hard.

yup - and from day one there were always extras. Heck, when Disneyland opened you had to have tickets to go on the individual rides ... those that could afford more tickets / want to spend "extra" on more tickets could go on more rides than those that don't. And there have been VIP tours forever as well.

To me, I would much rather them add more and more "extras" to make their revenue goals then jack up the baseticket price even more. As long as you keep that "baseline experience" the same, then I don't really care what the extra things they add that a small % of people will pick to do. And there is obviously the chance that some of these things lead to the reduction of the baseline experience (there have been some examples - getting rid of the fP area for fireworks viewing at MK to be just for dessert party, some studies show a slight reduction in park hours/evening EMH since they started the paid extra hours) but so far that has been very, very minimal (from what I can tell). It is that baseline experience that sets the standard for 99% of guests. And if others want to pay more $ for other things, then great!

yup - and from day one there were always extras. Heck, when Disneyland opened you had to have tickets to go on the individual rides ... those that could afford more tickets / want to spend "extra" on more tickets could go on more rides than those that don't.

It's pretty hard - dare I say impossible - to compare the purchase of extra E-tickets back in 1971, which I believe went for a staggering $.90/ea standalone and were cheaper when bought in a ticket book.... To what essentially equates to a fast-pass for Pandora that costs 1/2 of an annual pass. Plain and simple, this is an obscene, indefensible money grab. I almost spit out my coffee when I read that it comes with free popcorn. You can take that and feed it to the Pelicans - what a slap in the face!

It's pretty hard - dare I say impossible - to compare the purchase of extra E-tickets back in 1971, which I believe went for a staggering $.90/ea standalone and were cheaper when bought in a ticket book.... To what essentially equates to a fast-pass for Pandora that costs 1/2 of an annual pass. Plain and simple, this is an obscene, indefensible money grab. I almost spit out my coffee when I read that it comes with free popcorn. You can take that and feed it to the Pelicans - what a slap in the face!

I fully agree - i don't see the value in it. Now, there was some mention in one article about the tour that it included behind the scenes access, etc. So if you get that and some other "extras" that only come from taking this tour, then there is some value to that. But it is always comparing the value of time vs money. For some people that have the money this is worth it to them to not worry about getting FP (or can't get them) and don't want to wain in the standby line, etc. But if there truly is nothing special/extra I have trouble seeing them sell a lot of these - but I guess we shall see.

But I don't begrudge people that spend the money on this. If I begrudged every person that spent money on something that I can't afford or don't have the inclination to do i would do a lot of begrudging - and life is to short for that

I think it is really hard to compare almost anything from today to something that happened in 1971 - or even to 20 years ago (they actually had E-Ride nights through 2004) - there used to be things that I feel were a great value (like that one) that have drastically gone up in price as people are willing to pay more. Part of that is that things prior to Eisner were drastically under priced per the market - so some is just making that up. A lot I think has to do with the internet as back then I am sure a much smaller portion even knew about the E-Rides night, but now a much higher % knows about everything "extra" and wants to do it, etc.

I keep relating it to being a Fan of a pro-sports team - it isn't really a normal consumer dynamic as emotion is involved - both to the positive and negative effect. Negative in that the consumer will often act irrationally, but to the positive in that the joy and happiness it can bring can be higher due to that emotional connection and investment

This isn't about begrudging those that can afford the upcharge. It's begrudging TWDC for the blatant money grab. Yes, it's capitalism. Yes, there are people who will line up and pay for it - I get the microeconomics at play.

Had AK not been a half-baked, half-day park for the past 19 years with no new blood, maybe the banshee ride is only a 45 minute wait as opposed to a 120 minute wait and then there's no need to extort your loyal guests. That's what I begrudge. I'm not going to feed the beast and reward Disney with a $300 upcharge in exchange for nearly two decades worth of no developments.

This isn't about begrudging those that can afford the upcharge. It's begrudging TWDC for the blatant money grab. Yes, it's capitalism. Yes, there are people who will line up and pay for it - I get the microeconomics at play.

Had AK not been a half-baked, half-day park for the past 19 years with no new blood, maybe the banshee ride is only a 45 minute wait as opposed to a 120 minute wait and then there's no need to extort your loyal guests. That's what I begrudge. I'm not going to feed the beast and reward Disney with a $300 upcharge in exchange for nearly two decades worth of no developments.

would AK having more rides really have that much of an impact on FoP wait times? Magic Kingdom has by far the most rides and wait times for 7DMT stayed high - and are still rather high - and FoP is a much better attraction that 7DMT

would AK having more rides really have that much of an impact on FoP wait times? Magic Kingdom has by far the most rides and wait times for 7DMT stayed high - and are still rather high - and FoP is a much better attraction that 7DMT

You're comparing a park (MK) with literally twice the attendance as AK, so yes - my opinion is that it would make a significant difference in a park like AK. 7DMT isn't the only attraction in MK with significant wait times, either.

Maybe that is our big divide - I don't view Disney as Middle class ... to me it is more of a luxury item - a superior product offered at a superior price (which is why I always focus way more on the quality of the product provided rather than the price .... as long as the quality is there, people will pay the price. When that drops (or drops be low a certain point) then that is the issue)
I agree that Disney is a luxury item. However, the products they are selling as of late are certainly not superior. You are paying more and getting much less. They are charging superior prices for mediocre entertainment on this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter