New Valet Parking Rules at WDW

Cheshire Figment

<font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend
I have found out that effective Monday July 16 there will be a $6.00 daily charge for use of valet parking at the WDW deluxe resorts (Boardwalk, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge). This has been confirmed with one of the resort valet offices.

As a person who stays often at the Contemporary I know there are very few handicap-reserved spaces close to the building. At the other deluxe resorts there is no real close-in parking, and use of valets is almost a necessity for people with disabilities. Usually, for example, the valets will assist with getting my ECV into or out of the trunk and sometimes with the assembling or disassembling of it. I would imagine that many others also need the assistance which is provided by the valets.

Part of what I have found is that the entire $6.00 will be going to Disney; the valets will still be a "tip position". Obviously their incomes will go down as many people will not want to tip them, or give reduced tips, because of this fee. Supposedly payment of this fee is once per day, and one payment is valid for use at all the deluxe resorts. I have not found if this will be charged for a day when a car (or van) is in valet parking but not used (such as using the car on Tuesday, using only Disney Transportation Wednesday, and using the car again Thursday).

Anyway, I called the Disabilities office at WDW. They were not aware of this upcoming policy change. They looked into this new policy. The response I received was according to Mr. Cardinale (Sp?) (the person in charge of everything having to do with disabilities at WDW) valet parking for people with disabilities will still be free throughout the resort, as it is at Pleasure Island and Boardwalk (after 5:00pm) currently.

Cheshire Figment,
Thank you for the update regarding the valet parking situation. I use a wheelchair and my DH and I are planning on having dinner at Victoria and Alberts on July 28th and I was just trying to figure out how far from the buildings entrance we would be with handicap parking. In my fancy attire I don't look forward to pushing long distances....

21 days till WDW...:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

How are they going to enforce this?? If you have a handicapped car tag and a Guest Assistance Pass from the park will let let you park for free?? This is going to be a pain.........we have a reantal car for 10 days WOW thats $60.00 plus tips for the CMs who do the parking. Who did you call again..Can you post name and # I am going to call before we leave on Sat and try to get some answers. Thanks for the valuable info.

Thanks for the info.
I assume they will see the handicapped parking tag and know that you are eligible for valet parking without a fee. That's how it worked before. When my DH pulled up to the front entrance of BW to let us off, the valet saw our handicapped parking permit and told us he would park it for free. They don't have anywhere near enough handicapped parking spots near the resort entrances, so waiving the valet fee helps them as much as you.

I found this on the DVC Board. Someone had copied it from the DVC Official Member website information about the valet parking changes (I only copied and pasted the part about people with disabilities):
There will be no charge for guests with disabilities with the proper permits.
So, someone with a handicapped parking permit issued by their home state would have a proper permit. You would not need a Guest Assistance Card, since most people with a disability don't get GAC.
Someone had also written to WDW and was told that the first time you valet park in a day, you will get a valet parking tag to put in you car. It would be visible and they would know not to charge you again.

When we stayed at the DLH, our car was valet-parked the first day, and sat there until the 2nd day, when we had the valet return it to us. That day, we took a quick trip around Anaheim, and when we returned, we self-parked the car, where it sat for the next 6 days. When we got the bill, they had charged us for 7 days of valet-parking at $10 per night. I called the Concierge and they reduced the charge to $10 for the first day. So, yes, if it's valet-parked and you're charged for it the first day, you're going to be charged for it every day....even if it's just sitting in the lot. OUCH!

thanks for the info. It's good to be warned.

Thank you so much to all of you who did the footwork to find out that those of us who have handicapped permits can still use valet parking without a fee. I'm glad to read it.

I didn't like to use the valet parking at BW and that is one of the many reasons we prefer OKW. I like to be able to go the van and get things I need or put things in it that are cluttering up the room.

Once at WDW we use the buses so we don't have to worry about parking.

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter