New Vendor Drop-Off Policy? Update: CONFIRMED exclusive drop off vendor = Scooterbug

I still have the ScooterBug website open from when I booked earlier in the week. Here's what the ECV's looked like before the website redo. They completely replaced the Heavy Duty model.

From discussions in other groups it seems Disney made the changes because some of the 3rd party vendors were taking advantage of bell services by leaving strollers, cribs, ECV's etc at bell services for DAYS before the actual guest who had the item reserved was arriving.

If this is true, which it likely is, then I blame WDW for not following their own "rules" for the featured providers. I believe one of the items vendors had to agree with to be a featured provider was timely delivery/pick-up of equipment. That issue was one of the arguments several years ago for limiting which vendors could use Bell Services and lead to the "featured provider" list. If WDW allowed that to slip, it's on them - they could have warned and subsequently dropped a vendor for leaving items at Bell Services for too long.

I wouldn't be surprised if one grocery vendor gets named "exclusive" as well. My take on the situation is that a broad rumor leaked last week (all deliveries) before WDW intended to make any such change public knowledge - resulting in a scramble to get ahead of it, at which point the only contract fully in place may have been ScooterBug (who also appears to have been unprepared for the announcement). I could be wrong, but I think there will be a grocery vendor announced in the future.

If this is true, which it likely is, then I blame WDW for not following their own "rules" for the featured providers. I believe one of the items vendors had to agree with to be a featured provider was timely delivery/pick-up of equipment. That issue was one of the arguments several years ago for limiting which vendors could use Bell Services and lead to the "featured provider" list. If WDW allowed that to slip, it's on them - they could have warned and subsequently dropped a vendor for leaving items at Bell Services for too long.

I wouldn't be surprised if one grocery vendor gets named "exclusive" as well. My take on the situation is that a broad rumor leaked last week (all deliveries) before WDW intended to make any such change public knowledge - resulting in a scramble to get ahead of it, at which point the only contract fully in place may have been ScooterBug (who also appears to have been unprepared for the announcement). I could be wrong, but I think there will be a grocery vendor announced in the future.
We don't know how many warnings, if any, were given. We don't know if the featured vendor contracts were up on October 1. Sometimes the consequences of bad behavior are greater then expected. The penalty for driving 9 miles over the speed limit may be a warning. Driving 20 miles over might be a ticket. Driving while intoxicated might be license suspenstion. Buena Vista may have made a caluclated businesss decision and lost. Having one vendor makes it easier for Disney to control. Makes it easier to control the number of ECVs at each resort. You can reserve a scooter with 2 hours notice. That suggests a system to replinish inventory during the day. Prehaps Scooterbug will only need to keep enough scooters in the resort to handle deliveries for half the day.

I'm not sure how long before Disney imposes restrictions on outide vendors. One poster suggested setting up tents in resort parking lots to facilitate deliveries. Not going to happen. One on one scheduled deliveries, Gold Mobiliy, should be OK. Having a few delivery times, and having a dozen guests line up to accept delivey might not be allowed.

Some, non-Disney, resorts accept packages (including groceries) through a business or convention center. The charge to accept deliveries is per pound.

Grocery deliveries incur expenses for Disney, Refrigerators. Freezers. Labor. Impact on Disney's revenue. Fewer breakfasts purchased at the resort. Maybe one less table service meal. Fewer water purchases.

I'd be shcoked if Disney doesn't reign in deliveries. I can see a charge. I can see limiting the number of vendors allowed, at least allowed to store foods which require refrigeration or freezer space.

Why should Disney be spending $ on providing a service which reduces Disney's revenue?

My complaint. Currently there is a charge for accepting a small envelope or package from FEDX, UPS etc. I have a, small, issue paying a nuisance charge to receive a medical item or even a small item like a charger left behind.

For the time being, Disney has somewhat monetized the grocery delivery business by imposing a fee for drops at bell services. They’ve gone a different route with mobility devices, we’ll see how it works out. I’m gratified to see that Scooterbug has not raised their prices (yet) since being named the exclusive bell-drop vendor.

However, the cat is out of the bag as far as demand for both groceries and mobility devices is concerned. People have learned about them and want them. In the case of mobility devices, need them. Reducing the amount of these items delivered to bell services is not going to change overall demand much. Shifting some of the volume from bell services to the resort entrances/drives helps one issue but exacerbates another.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see many more changes to the delivery infrastructure as time goes on. Dedicated delivery zones, exclusive vendors, more fees, etc. It will be interesting, one more reason to follow these boards for news.

We don't know how many warnings, if any, were given. We don't know if the featured vendor contracts were up on October 1.

Correct, we don't. But the only change to the Featured Vendors program in the past 7 years is one vendor who retired and closed the business. That doesn't lead me to think WDW has made much if any effort to reign in any problems with these 4 vendors (+3 stroller vendors). Unless the problems were very recent, but I know BV has been offering that free case of water for quite a while. Stroller vendors have also offered "free (water, cooler bag, etc.)" with a reservation for a few years now. Contract timing may come into play somewhat, as the original Featured Vendor program started in Nov. 2012. So if the problem was length of time equipment was left with Bell Services and/or additional items being delivered as "freebies" with a rental -- there does not appear to have been effort on WDW's part to fix that without the drastic change to 1 preferred vendor. And yes, sometimes ramifications are more drastic than one might expect.

But I still believe it has more to do with the sheer volume increase of rentals dropping off at Bell Services via these few vendors, and space limitations, rather than other problems.

I do NOT see WDW allowing tents or trucks to essentially set-up shop in resort parking lots. Since it hasn't been done already for the many vendors who do meet in person, it is unlikely to occur now. But...WDW does their own thing, so never say never...

One idea I will throw out now is to have just one dedicated delivery zone, staffed by an "official" vendor such as Scooterbug. They would handle other kinds of deliveries as well as wheelchairs and strollers. There would be economy of scale, shared staff compared with separate staff for packages, groceries, faxes, etc.

Having a single vendor would make it easier to swap out batteries so the same scooter could be returned by one guest, cleaned up, and rented to the next guest. Still it will be necessary to have a box truck come and go to pick up and deliver scooters, strollers, etc.

Last edited:

Thanks, @Lewisc. No big deal, really. I will continue to utilize my ;) preferred companies: Walker, Randy's, Scooterama, Gold...
My comments were more directed to people reading this thread, and your comments. JMO but guests who want to pick up and return their items to bell services shouldn't have an issue with the new vendor. For the most part the variety of items offered are sufficient for most needs. OK we're missing a 22" wheelchair and 4 wheeled scooters. Those guests who prefer the pricing, items and accessories offered by other vendors have no reason to change to Scooterbug. Guests who are currently using BV Scooters are the people who have to make a choice.

edited to say: Not really a new vendor but an existing vendor with a vastly improved product offering.

One idea I will throw out now is to have just one dedicated delivery zone, staffed by an "official" vendor such as Scooterbug. They would handle other kinds of deliveries as well as wheelchairs and strollers. There would be economy of scale, shared staff compared with separate staff for packages, groceries, faxes, etc.

Having a single vendor would make it easier to swap out batteries so the same scooter could be returned by one guest, cleaned up, and rented to the next guest. Still it will be necessary to have a box truck come and go to pick up and deliver scooters, strollers, etc.

In what world would Scooterbug want to take responsibility for processing rentals for other companies. In what world would they want to take responsibility for servicing, replacing batteries, for scooters owned by competitors.

I think Disney would just ban other scooter companies from property before setting up such a system.

Orlando Strollers has rented space from MCO, in the same general area as DME. I wonder if any of the now non-featured scooter companies might consider doing the same. A folded stroller takes up a lot less space then a scooter. I have no idea if space is available, or at what cost. Get your scooter and stroller at the airport. Go right to your room. I'll speculate the cost of renting space would make scooter rentals pricing non-competitive. But I could be wrong. If were BV Scooters I'd be looking at that option.

In what world would Scooterbug want to take responsibility for processing rentals for other companies.
Making money, of course, with appropriate agreements among the various companies and with Disney's blessing.
However no company would be dissecting, servicing, or changing batteries of another company's equipment without a separate arrangement for same between the two companies..

I love the Scooterbug "Companion Tourist" model, which I believe has been renamed to "Resort" in the past couple days. Here's some pictures of the upgrades I bring with me.
View attachment 441085
Question about how you are hanging your backpack. Is that a separate lock I see? What do you use to lock it and where do you find the hooks to go on the headrest? Thanks!

I don't remember whether it was WDW or Disneyland (I think the latter) but I remember someone in bell services telling me that they usually would keep one or two unreserved scooters in their area in case a park-goer needed a scooter so they didn't have to wait to have one delivered. That was a while ago so maybe the policy has changed.

Question about how you are hanging your backpack. Is that a separate lock I see? What do you use to lock it and where do you find the hooks to go on the headrest? Thanks!

Everything is from Amazon.
Headrest Hooks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E5CAXK0/
2 Hoop Lock: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EM3D6E/
Bike Phone Mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016CU0EUC/

I used black pipe cleaners from the arts & crafts section of Walmart to make compartments in the basket.

o.jpg
o.jpg
o.jpg

Good to see they've upgraded their fleet to the Pride Victory (at least that is what they look like.)

It works just fine for all the non-featured vendors now. There are only 4 featured vendors, and off the top of my head I can think of almost double that number of non-featured.

which 3 still dropp off to bell services please. Not sure how to tell

I believe there are 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!