New Year's Day ~Big Dinner?~

Snowwark

DIS Veteran
In our family the holiday season isn't over until January 2.

Traditionally we have a big family dinner on New Year's Day, turkey, again, and all the trimmings. We don't eat turkey all that often through the year, and the New Year's day dinner is always a bit more relaxed, a chance to really taste the fowl.

I'm not especially looking forward to going through all that preperation again, and DH is already rolling his eyes in anticipation of the mess and stress..lol! At least this time, we won't have 21 people attending, I don't think.....:)

Do you have another feast on New Year's Day? What do you serve, ham, roast beast, turkey?

Kim :)

Hi Kim, first of all, I wish you the very best of luck for a stress-free New Year's Day family dinner! :)

The only "feast" we have on NY's Day is to go out for brunch, usually at the Elmhurst Inn, in Ingersoll. It is such a nice relaxed "outing" for me in very pleasant, peaceful surroundings. Then for dinner, we just have something light as we are still full from brunch.

All my family lives out of town so we just get together for Christmas and phone each other for NY's.

Hi Julie, We usually just have wings and stuff watching US college football. Deb and I are heading to Elmhurs tonight for dinner, an overnight without DD and DS and breakfast tomorrow. We do this every Christmas for a little R&R after the Christmas rush. See you soon
Tony and Debbie

This year we have a wedding on New Year's Day, so we'll be having a nice big dinner/wedding reception.
when I was a kid my parents always had a big dinner NYday, usually a smoked ham, potatos, etc. and a special cake mom would only make for New Years but as we got older & went out for New year's Eve for parties & stuff, that stopped, and I never really started it up after I got married.

I know for me because dd's birthday is 23rd, christmas eve service at church, 25th my parents, 26th his parents....I usually just relax & do nothing. I think I'm going to enjoy this wedding because it doesn't all hinge on me doing it. :confused: hmmm,Maybe that's why i liked it when Mom use to do it.

We'll probably have a turkey dinner that day too, but it will just be us. We go to DH's family for Christmas, my family for Boxing Day, and never have any leftovers, so I like to cook a small one at New Year's.

Julie, Tony and Debbie, enjoy Elmhurst! When we lived in London I used to love to go there for brunch, and once, for a wedding reception for my best friend. Such a beautiful place!

I tend to look more forward to New Years than to Cmas. I love the relaxation, reflection and dream of the future year! My kids are young, so we don't go out. dd is old enough to stay up late. We will be enjoying a relaxing day with the kids. S

Thanks Kathy! I'm really looking forward to our NY's Day brunch. Tony, what are the rooms like at the Elmhurst? I've often said to Rudy that we should stay there overnight sometime. It's such a pretty place. I hope you and Deb enjoyed your stay there tonight!

I'll probably cook a turkey breast for NY's day. One of the kids is working so it'll depend on the shift. I should be rested since on New Years Eve I'll be alone since everyone else is working-I think I might enjoy the night to mysellf. Happy New Years everyone.

Elmhurst Inn would be a great place for brunch! We went to a wedding there a few Christmas's ago, it was very nice. Enjoy your visits! :)

Update: The New Year's turkey dinner has been cancelled. Both my parents, and DH, are full of cold. We'll see how everyone is in a few weeks, and try again then.

Happy New Year everyone!! :) :)

We usually do brunch as well at the Wheels Inn here in Chatham. They do a huge brunch on New Years. I'm tired of cooking by this time of year, but I think I will probably put a pot roast in the crock pot. Everyone loves it and it is really easy on me!

We're fortunate enough to be invited to my best friend's home for dinner tomorrow night and after trying to get through Christmas (cooking for everyone and right in the middle of complete kitchen renovations Ughhh!) and being sick....just been diagnosed with bronchitis and still feeling terrible....I hope to take it easy tonight and order Chinese food with DH,DS and his girlfriend and spend a quiet night playing cards and board games while enjoying a glass of bubbly at 12!

Happy New year to you all and may this year bring you all the happiness,health and prosperity that you need!You're a great bunch of folks and I've enjoyed my years here on the DIS!!!!:sunny: :wave:

Hi all, Had a great time at the Elm Hurst. The rooms are nice, queen bed and table with chairs and an occasional chair. Some suites, the views are usually nice and the decor is always nice. Fireplace and bar in lobby is elegantly decorated with Victorian furnishings. Not too many people bring their kids so its quiet. The food is great. Might be a good place for a Dismeet sometime since a lot of us know of it. LOL. The only problem is its a bit pricey. Hope you all have a happy and prosperous new year.
See you soon
Tony and Debbie

Oh Kim, you squeeked out of that one didn't you! ;) Hope everyone's feeling better soon. You should have a nice restful day, then! Enjoy! :)

Thanks for the review on the Elmhurst's rooms, Tony and Debbie. Sounds like you had a very nice time there! :)

All the best for a happy, healthy, safe and prosperous NEW YEAR everyone! I look forward to seeing many of you soon! :)

Had a very quiet New Years Day after spending Nye at my dd's house. It was fun with the dgrdd's my dh, ds "adopted ds" my dd and her dh. We played Monopoly. I was the banker. We started to play Disneys version of Sorry but the amount of rules were too much for us to handle. We found it a bit much. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and Happy New Year.
tigercat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter