New Years Eve (2020)

gtpoohbear

DIS Veteran
While it's still fresh in people's minds... Thought I would ask about NYE in the parks. Last year (2018) we spent NYE at MK and had a blast. We will be in FL again next Christmas (visiting family). We had initially thought we might spend NYE at Epcot this time, but it has been several years since we were at Universal and we are all missing it, so we are thinking of doing that instead.

Other than the obvious "it will be crazy levels of crowded insanity", which we managed fine at WDW, any tips or tricks, things to not miss, etc? I'm not seeing any option online for anything like the dessert party with reserved fireworks viewing like MK does, is that right? (Because that was awesome last year!) We probably wouldn't be interested in the adult-only Citywalk party, unless the kids decide they really want to ditch us for the night anyway.

Thinking about staying at Portofino (probably 4 nights, leaving in NY Day.) We've stayed at RPR and HRH already and like to try different places each time. I'm a little worried though that PB is farther away- is it going to be significantly more difficult to get back there after the fireworks on NYE?

Anything else you can share about NYE? Thanks!

Portofino isn't that much further. It is a couple minutes extra by boat, about 5 minutes extra walking along the walking path and about 2 minutes extra walking through the HRH parking lot across the road.

It is our favourite of the resorts.

We were at the MK Dessert Party on the 31st for the midnight countdown and it was amazing. We didn't have to worry about staking out a place early and we literally walked over to the Garden Plaza viewing area at around 11:35/11:40pm and had a perfect view of the fireworks. We booked in June time but I was obsessively checking these forums and the Disney site on when they opened up bookings for it.

We loved PBH. There is something about riding the boat to the further, more secluded area that made it feel nicer than RPR (haven't stayed at HRH yet). It seemed like they have more boats dedicated to PBH, so we never had any long waits during Thanksgiving week. We never tried the walk as it seemed quite a bit longer than RPR. But NYE might be a bit more crowded, so you might need to walk some times...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!