New Year's Eve

BeachMama13

Mouseketeer
Looking for camping suggestions for New Year's Eve. Besides, FW, we will be there for Thanksgiving & Spring Break. We live in NW FL, so the west coast is out. It's just the 4 of us... DH, DS(15) and DD(12).

I was thinking about possibly Nashville or St. Augustine? We've traveled to New Orleans, Gatlinburg, & Sarasota this year, so want to try something different.

Thanks for any suggestions!

What kinds of things do you like to do? How far north (how cold) is your limit?

Anastasia State Park is pretty. My 2nd DD had her wedding there on the beach. (haven't camped there yet, but one day...) Easy trip across the Bridge of Lions to St. Augustine tourist areas.

What kinds of things do you like to do? How far north (how cold) is your limit?

We are up for most anything. Probably not as far north as to worry about snow. Not sure DH is ready to drive the Motorhome in that, lol!

Anastasia State Park is pretty. My 2nd DD had her wedding there on the beach. (haven't camped there yet, but one day...) Easy trip across the Bridge of Lions to St. Augustine tourist areas.

St Augustine is actually where we were thinking about going. :)

My vote would be St. Augustine based on the time of year. Nashville might be fun, but it will be colder than St. Augustine. My favorite stay was Beverly Beach Camptown, on the oceanside (or ocean view). Full hookup, 50 amp on all sites (bring an adaptor if you are 30A!!!) I loved taking the trolley tour of St. Augustine and all the history of the area.

My vote would be St. Augustine based on the time of year. Nashville might be fun, but it will be colder than St. Augustine. My favorite stay was Beverly Beach Camptown, on the oceanside (or ocean view). Full hookup, 50 amp on all sites (bring an adaptor if you are 30A!!!) I loved taking the trolley tour of St. Augustine and all the history of the area.

I've looked at Beverly Beach in the past, we've been wanting to stay there! We are 50A, so no issues there.

Thank you!

DW and I will be in St. Augustine for New Years at Anastasia State Park. :banana:

The SP may be full and there are a couple loops that only take small rv's, tents, or popups. If you look there at any vacancies on ReserveAmerica, pay special attention to the max length that the site can handle.

There is also a KOA nearby in St. Augustine Beach. And I am sure there are others around like the one above if you can't get into BB.

Maybe we'll bump into you on the trolley, BeachMama13!

My vote would be St. Augustine based on the time of year. I loved taking the trolley tour of St. Augustine and all the history of the area.

James, tell me what we should see while we are in StA. I've been there quick for a day visit but want to see more. We will be there for 5 full days.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

DW and I will be in St. Augustine for New Years at Anastasia State Park. :banana:

The SP may be full and there are a couple loops that only take small rv's, tents, or popups. If you look there at any vacancies on ReserveAmerica, pay special attention to the max length that the site can handle.

There is also a KOA nearby in St. Augustine Beach. And I am sure there are others around like the one above if you can't get into BB.

Maybe we'll bump into you on the trolley, BeachMama13!

James, tell me what we should see while we are in StA. I've been there quick for a day visit but want to see more. We will be there for 5 full days.

Bama Ed

Bama Ed - I need to look around and see what campgrounds are there. Probably won't be able to get into Anastasia this late.

You never know though, we might bump into each other!

@jbrostek - Yes, would love to hear what we shouldn't miss!

My favorites for St. Augustine:

Ripley's Red Train Tour - Hop on hop off tour train filled with information about parts of the city and its history. We jumped on an off several times to check out local attractions or foods. Like the old school house, fountain of youth

Castillo de San Marcos is a given. The oldest masonry fort in continental US.

Cathedrial Basillica St. Augustine - Oldest catholic church in the City and if you think of when they built it and the work that went into it.

The lighthouse museum was fun, ps. lots of steps if I recall.

Marineland where we tried to drown my friends wife (the dolphin really liked her.)

La Strada Italian Restaurant - we love this place and the owners. Such good foods.

We never made it to the Aqarium, though we spoke about it. And we always wanted ot go to the governers house museum, maybe another trip is needed.

My favorites for St. Augustine:

Ripley's Red Train Tour - Hop on hop off tour train filled with information about parts of the city and its history. We jumped on an off several times to check out local attractions or foods. Like the old school house, fountain of youth

Castillo de San Marcos is a given. The oldest masonry fort in continental US.

Cathedrial Basillica St. Augustine - Oldest catholic church in the City and if you think of when they built it and the work that went into it.

The lighthouse museum was fun, ps. lots of steps if I recall.

Marineland where we tried to drown my friends wife (the dolphin really liked her.)

La Strada Italian Restaurant - we love this place and the owners. Such good foods.

We never made it to the Aqarium, though we spoke about it. And we always wanted ot go to the governers house museum, maybe another trip is needed.

The Train/Trolley hop on/hop off seems so kitchy but it might be the best way to get around.

For our one day that we have spent in StA, we went to Mass at the Cathedral and also visited the Oldest Wooden School House (very nearby).

The Fort is a given. Would love to walk through it.

The Lighthouse is VERY close to Anastasia SP and I love lighthouses (I climb to the top of them all when possible).

The StA Distillery tour is #2 out of 148 Things to Do in StA on TripAdvisor (and I want to support local businesses) :rolleyes: :drinking1

I also have an interest in Henry Flagler and his hotels/railroads in Florida. Flagler College in StA is in his old Ponce De Leon Hotel that he built. In my one day in StA (very close to the Cathedral) I walked through the lobby of the Ponce and saw they offered tours but it was the weekend and tours are only offered on weekdays IIRC. It's a beautiful property and I would like to take the tour there.

I parked on the street next to the Governor's House, jbrostek, my one day in StA when I went to church at the Cathedral. But as it was Sunday the House was not open that morning. The GH is between the Cathedral and the Ponce (all very close together) so I hope I have time to add it to the list.

Plus I want to add the Golf HoF out past I95.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Bama ED

PS - I also have a bucket list item regarding camping in FL that I hope one year (soon) and check off the list.

PPS - I'm gonna BUTT OUT of beachmama13's thread now becuz it's hers I don't want mama mad at me..... :scared:

Last edited:
The Trolley seems Kitchy, but it really is the best to get around. We parked at the parking garage and got the tickets. I probably could have walked, it would have been like an Epcot day, but we had others with as that could not do that and we found it convient.

Its been awhile since we last went, and after thinking about it. Flagler college and more was on the next trip list. I think if I took the girls though, since they have never been we would revisit lots of places just so they could see it too.

PPS - I'm gonna BUTT OUT of beachmama13's thread now becuz it's hers I don't want mama mad at me..... :scared:

Oh you hush! I wouldn't get mad at you! I'm happy to share the thread with anyone that has/or looking for info on the topic! ☺

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!