New York City power outage **Coming back on now**

Went to my former residence which is on the Upper West Side this afternoon to pick up a converter adapter I lent to a neighbor. The building faces Central Park in the '80's so we looked out the window and realised much of the '70's and lower is without power. The nabe and I are on our way out the door now to see if Citarella's, Zabars or Fairway's are having a freezer sale ;). These NYCers have their priorities in order, LOL.

@L&Lfan - Lived in the city since at least the blackout of the mid '60's; only heard of looting for that one ('64?) and another when I was married during the summer of '77 and we slept on the roof of our brownstone in Brooklyn. For all the subsequent ones the city has been pretty mellow.

No power loss here in Brooklyn and my dad is fine on Roosevelt Island but i feel bad for people trapped without a/c, it's NASTY out there tonight. Muggy. Hope they get it back on soon.

Weirdly, it's the anniversary of the 1977 blackout...

Ds21 has an internship in the city, he only takes the subway if it’s raining, it’s SO muggy tonight, was just at a party for 7 hours and there were very few breezes.

Used to live in the UWS. I miss it, but having no AC and to walk up would suck so hard. I lived in such a cool building. It's called The Ansonia. Widest halls in NYC, and an interesting history. The concept when built was to farm on the roof--kind of before it's time with the urban farming idea. They have a little area for tourists with memorabilia of famous residents. Babe Ruth and a bunch of musicians, mostly. Our apartment was a sublet from pianist--so pretty small with a baby grand taking up most of the living room. I could hear an opera singer practice every day there, too.

My neighborhood was hit. But, the power's back up! :cheer2:

I was actually downtown when the power outage happened, I didn't know about it. I was on a subway platform, trying to get home. There is a digital sign that alerts us when the next train is coming. And I noticed, one by one, the trains all stopped & were eventually marked as delayed. I walked over to a different subway line. Luckily that one was running. If I had walked in the other direction, that subway line was down too. :headache:

I happened to be peering over another passenger's shoulder and saw her flick her cellphone to the news that there was a power outage on the west side. I asked her if she knew what street the outage started at. She didn't know.

Our train finally made it to 42nd St but was delayed there for quite a while. I did NOT want to be stuck underground on the train tracks if the power outage hit us down there. That's when I decided to get out and walk the rest of the way. I live in the Times Square/Theatre District/Midtown area.

It was kind of a zoo on the street when I got to 42nd St. It was like ants coming out after a rain storm. But, there was still power on. I started walking up the avenue, and that's when I saw the traffic lights were out, up the avenue as far as I could see. :eek: And there were several cops in each intersection directing traffic & doing crowd control. (So no looting that I saw.) It was weird. I look back and 42nd Street is bustling with all the neon lights flashing. Turn north and the apocalypse had started. :eek: (No zombies though! :thumbsup2)

I finally make it to my building. There were people from the building milling about outside. I turn on my flashlight app on my phone and make the L.O.N.G. slow climb upstairs. I live in a high-rise. So I pace myself. I was surprised the stairwell actually had emergency lights that were on. Although, they weren't working on all the floors. :headache: So. I was glad of my flashlight app. Although, I wanted to preserve my phone, as I didn't know how long the outage would last.

When I got home, the first thing I did was pull out all the flashlights I have and see how much power I had in my other cellphone and my tablet. I figured, I could charge them off my laptop, if neccessary, till the laptop battery died. The wifi router was dead. So, I need my phone more than my laptop. I can still check the Internet off my phone.

It's ironic. I actually threw out 4 really old crank flashlights a few weeks ago. They were powered by watch batteries in them, but charged a bit by cranking. Only, they were so old, the batteries no longer worked at all. :badpc: I had been looking around on Amazon for newer technology, ones that crank, also charge by solar power, and will charge up a cellphone or tablet too. Only, I hadn't had a chance to pick one out yet. :rolleyes:

I did still have some other flashlights, battery powered, portable LED lights and a boatload of batteries. The fridge was stocked yesterday, by chance. And I have canned goods. So I was fine. :thumbsup2 This power outage wasn't like the one that happened in 2003. That one hit the whole northeast. The cell towers went down too. This one, I was able to text family & let them know I was fine. Tomorrow, if the power was still out, I could walk to a neighborhood that had power and charge up my phone & some rechargeable batteries. :thumbsup2

I do want to get a crank/solar flashlight/radio/cellphone charger. Anyone have one? Is it worth getting one with all the features? What one do you have?

I had been looking at this one a couple weeks ago. It had over 2000 reviews. :confused3

https://www.amazon.com/Version-iRonsnow-Emergency-Weather-Flashlight/dp/B00WIF2T7C/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8

Last edited:
Ds21 has an internship in the city, he only takes the subway if it’s raining, it’s SO muggy tonight, was just at a party for 7 hours and there were very few breezes.

It was HOT today. My phone said it was 83 degrees this afternoon. And it was muggy. :crazy2:

Used to live in the UWS. I miss it, but having no AC and to walk up would suck so hard. I lived in such a cool building. It's called The Ansonia. Widest halls in NYC, and an interesting history. The concept when built was to farm on the roof--kind of before it's time with the urban farming idea. They have a little area for tourists with memorabilia of famous residents. Babe Ruth and a bunch of musicians, mostly. Our apartment was a sublet from pianist--so pretty small with a baby grand taking up most of the living room. I could hear an opera singer practice every day there, too.

I have this book about NYC luxury apartment buildings from the early 1900's to about 1960. The Ansonia is on the cover.

Here's a typical floor plan from the era. Sorry, the only image I could online find is sideways. In the book I have, it's turned 90 degrees to the left. I particularly like the layout of the apartment in the interior of the Broadway Court with its oval parlor and dining room. However, it's location didn't allow for much natural light. Many other apartments have circular and other interestingly shaped rooms. And yes, the public hallways are 10 feet wide.

Almost all of these layouts have been changed and updated to incorporate modern needs and tastes; i.e. open floor plans, larger kitchens, laundry rooms in each apartment, media rooms, etc.

A bit of perhaps sordid history. From the late 1960s thru the 70s, the basement of the Ansonia housed the Continental Baths, a gay sex club where a not-yet-famous Bette Midler got her start in show business. When the Continental closed, it because Plato's Retreat, a straight swingers club.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!