New York or Orlando?? Heck, let`s do both.....12 nights NYC & Sapphire Falls...July 18 Trip Report

That was a nice size black racer in your pic Schumi.....I’am not a fan of snakes either :scared1:

I thought the same as you till I saw it, I checked back on my pics and found this, Rob took this as I am sure I had run the long way round the path

Wow......black racers are pretty common in Florida......I have never seen a snake at Universal....your pic proves they are there for sure. Black Racers are nonvenomous, but they do have teeth and will bite if they feel threatened.
The big ones have been known to go after small pets.

The other two snakes common in Florida are the Eastern Diamond back Rattle Snake and the Coral Snake.......if I saw one of these..........this fat girl would be running like my feet were on fire.

The allota Colada is hilarious! I legit laughed out loud on that one!

The night time show looks great! I hope is running in September!

I think we have had enough of the snake pics in this thread- YUK!

That was a nice size black racer in your pic Schumi.....I’am not a fan of snakes either :scared1:

Wow......black racers are pretty common in Florida......I have never seen a snake at Universal....your pic proves they are there for sure. Black Racers are nonvenomous, but they do have teeth and will bite if they feel threatened.
The big ones have been known to go after small pets.

The other two snakes common in Florida are the Eastern Diamond back Rattle Snake and the Coral Snake.......if I saw one of these..........this fat girl would be running like my feet were on fire.

:laughing:.....me too!!!! I can run when necessary...….not a pretty sight though!!!

Not liking the sound of the teeth...….:scared1: aren't they called fangs in snakes...…. teeth makes them sound like puppies......puppies have teeth!!!! Although sounds like they wouldn't even be in the least bit scared of Matt and I...……:rotfl: we would very obviously have disappeared into the horizon....quickly!!!!

The allota Colada is hilarious! I legit laughed out loud on that one!

The night time show looks great! I hope is running in September!

I think we have had enough of the snake pics in this thread- YUK!

It was a lovely drink...…..and yes, there was a lot of it!!!! But, I managed it...……:thumbsup2

The show will be on in September, just not the nights HHN is on...….and oh yes.....I agree.....snakes aren't pretty......but how funny Matt saw the exact same snake albeit different places...….

That walk isn't going to be as fun now though...have to be honest!!! One movement in those bushes along the water and I`ll be attempting to mimic a 500m runner!!!!

@angryduck71.........

I’m getting into so much trouble for singing that same song all the time.........:laughing:

It’s etched in my brain now!! Love it.........:thumbsup2

Yes sorry for sharing the pic at Universal, though I am sure it was a one off. It was so quick it looked more scared than me if possible

Just for the record, not scared of spiders at all :)

Yes sorry for sharing the pic at Universal, though I am sure it was a one off. It was so quick it looked more scared than me if possible

Just for the record, not scared of spiders at all :)

lol...….don't be silly......I was glad you posted it!!!!

It reassured me that I hadn't met the devil of all snakes and it was harmless and common!!!

I do laugh when folks say "it`s more scared of you than you are of it"...…..not buying that...…..:thumbsup2

I don't like spiders either!!!! I am a real wimp though.

:wave2:

I'm the spider "wrangler" in this house! DH (the great hunter/fisherman) is terrified of them.

Snakes are a different story for me....I won't even go by them in a zoo! Makes my skin crawl thinking about it!

I'm the spider "wrangler" in this house! DH (the great hunter/fisherman) is terrified of them.

Snakes are a different story for me....I won't even go by them in a zoo! Makes my skin crawl thinking about it!

Lol......that’s funny!!! It’s so funny when real active and sporting men are fraidy of things like that.........

My friend that passed away 2 years ago had a nickname called the Rottweiller........she took on anybody and took no prisoners.......but, sit a spider in front of her and she visibly wilted........:rotfl:

Yes, I was forced to go to a zoo as a child and wouldn’t even set foot in the reptile house!! Horrible!!

There doesn’t seem to be anything redeemable about them at all..........:sad2:

I still adore your doggy in the avatar........cute as a button!!

Thanks mac.........glad you are still enjoying this one too.........:thumbsup2

SUNDAY JULY 22ND

I really should be finished this by now...….a weeks trip shouldn't take this long to babble on about...………:rolleyes:

This should be a quick day, I think today was the very rare day where we hardly took any pictures at all...…..of course the weather ended up making a dent in our plans...…..but, as always we never let it stop us having fun.

So with that thought, we woke up and turned on the tv...….weather channel as always......and it was a nasty, horrible, wet and wild forecast for later......but, that was later...….right now it looked quite pleasant outside...….well, almost, so we kind of ignored the forecast and made plans for the day. We had decided this morning not to go to the parks again, but to drive to St Augustine......were we crazy with the forecast?? Probably...…..but we had been before so it didn't really matter if we saw anything today, and we would be going again another trip I was sure of that.

We do love driving around Florida...….and of course we wanted to drive this car some more...…...it takes around 2 hours to drive to St Augustine so we would enjoy that a lot......of course now negotiations would start as to who drove...…..we would come back to that, as once we were showered and dressed it was time for breakfast...…..and we were a little peckish this morning...…..

We headed downstairs to Dutch Trading and again there was quite a line for coffee and food. But, we picked up a large coffee, a doughnut and a pastry.....and again, it was lovely………..we were liking this morning ritual of picking something quick up...….and it was enough. We aren't really the type that would eat a huge buffet breakfast every morning......but we did plan to stop in at Amatista before we left...…..I adore smoked salmon and could live on that for breakfast!!!

So once we had put our stuff in the trash, it was time to decide who drove...……...I volunteered to drive there if Tom wanted to drive back...….I said I was looking forward to being able to open it up a little on a real road...…...Tom indeed had a vision at this point and shared with me what he was thinking...……..:D

Thanks Tom!!!!!

He was joking, I hope......and I do like to remind him although we have both got our advanced drivers certificate......and I got mine first!!!! Not that I bring it up often of course :rolleyes1...….as he did get his 45 minutes later!!!! I do forget to add that bit...……..

So, decision made...….I would drive there and he would drive home...…..I was already planning lunch in my mind as I wasn't driving home..::yes::

We first drove for fuel, as this car liked to guzzle fuel...…...but, it is so cheap for fuel here we didn't mind how many times we had to fill it. I think it took $45 this time...….but I didn't pay attention as I was fiddling with the ride rise and fall after Tom came back in the car after he filled it...…..this was fun!!!

We set off on our journey and it isn't the best journey to take...….the first part is still roadworks for such a long way...…..we had a few delays due to just being stopped for no reason...…...

i-hF3pdzn-XL.jpg

It was sunny and bright all the way and after a very long and boring part of the journey we suddenly see the sky looks incredibly black in the distance......and if I was being pessimistic I would say it was right over St Augustine...…...of course.

At the same time we got a notification from the car that said extreme, yes extreme lightning on the way in 14 minutes...…..again, it is very precise forecasting......but it does get gloomier looking as we near the City.

We didn't take a whole lot of pictures driving in today, as Tom was just enjoying being a passenger for a change......he got to see things he usually misses with driving...….so I didn't even ask him to take any......and me.....I was loving this car!!!! It was a huge amount of fun to drive...…..of course I was always mindful of the speed limit and any speed cops around...…….of course!!!! We do have a fabulous car at home, we love it.....fast and sporty, and low and sleek.......but I loved this height of vehicle and it was convincing me our option to purchase a similar car next year was the right one...……

We pulled into the centre and found the same car park easily we had parked before...…..I think it was $20 today I suppose it was due to being the weekend......and we had to wait a few moments as the lot was full, but one family were pulling out so we got their space...….I`m sure we would have found a different car park if it had been full, there are many well signposted car parks around.

We get out the car and I was sure I felt a spot of rain...…..lol......looking at the sky it wouldn't surprise me...…...but, as always we would make the most of whatever the day brought...…..

We turned into the main area where shops and bars are located.....St George Street...….and rain had held off a little for now...….

It is a beautiful little area and we still toy with the idea of spending a night or two here next year on our longer stay trip......it is lovely, we want to do the ghost tour and of course, it wouldn't be the same during the day if it was offered……...and it looked to be a fun place after dark. It had a great beach town vibe about it and we felt we would love a few days here...…….

i-qWBZxQL-XL.jpg

i-DHhh8Jw-XL.jpg

So many beautiful little stores around to wander in and out of...….and they all have some beautiful products to buy.....and I`m very good today and don't actually buy anything for a change...…….we also don't take many pictures, so don't do the town justice really......we had taken many more on our previous trip...…..and it is a beautiful city!!!

i-wGSG3Jr-XL.jpg

There are plenty of public bathrooms around here in the centre, and each one we had used had been clean and well maintained which was nice as they can be awful at times...…..certainly in the UK. We did find the USA in general to be better that way...…...

i-FgZd25P-XL.jpg

Last time we were here, sad people that we are, we had taken some pictures of menu`s that were up outside a few seafood places......we had enjoyed pizza time the last visit that had been highly recommended to us, and it was fabulous. But, we thought we love to try some local seafood...…..so we had narrowed it down to 2 places...…..and when we were right between the two, the heavens opened...….and I mean opened...….

It felt like someone had just started throwing water at us...….so decision had been made......and we were both glad to say that this had been both of our first choice.....menu really appealed. It was The Florida Cracker Café.

We went inside and it was very friendly...….and there were only a couple of tables left.....so we got seated by the window as I am a little childlike with storms and love watching them...…..and this one was a whopper!!!! Thunder was clear as day...….incredibly loud and the lighting was superlative to watch even during the day...….rain was torrential. It just got heavier and heavier and then even heavier again...….the weather man had been correct.

i-ZTwPB6M-XL.jpg

We liked this place. Very casual feel about it, almost like a beach hut restaurant...…….and staff were friendly...…..I had no clue what I wanted except, since I was not driving home...…..I could have a glass of wine...…..well, wine and seafood go together so well!!!! Tom got his usual pink lemonade......and it was lovely……

We sat for a while just watching the rain getting heavier as we marveled at the strength of it and the huge rumbles of thunder overhead...…..it would have been spectacular watching this out to sea...…….

And the wine was very nice for cheap plonk!!!!

i-bCLvpns-XL.jpg

i-Z8v6s4H-XL.jpg

i-cG75m7Q-XL.jpg

Food was eventually decided upon...….we did take out time ordering as this looked to be on for the day......boy were we going to get soaked heading back to the car as I did think again, I had a lovely dry brolly sitting in my suitcase...……

We decided to share half pound of peel and eat shrimp, then Tom chose crab cakes with fries and coleslaw and I went for a special of jerk shrimp wrap, again with fries and coleslaw...……..

i-hKBCMDb-XL.jpg

i-VgBL3RL-XL.jpg

i-92JxpX8-XL.jpg

The shrimp were huge...….plump and full of a proper sea flavor...…..not too much though, but very sweet...….I could easily have just ordered another portion and had that for lunch...…...but when the crab cakes and wrap arrived.....we were happy bunnies...……..

Those fries...…...we both commented they were amazing!!!! Just a fry, but crispy, full of fluffy potato and had a seasoning taste that was second to none!!!! We still mention those fries...…...and everything else was beautiful...…..those crab cakes were so tasty...….I was a little jealous I have to say...….my wrap was filled to the brim with shrimp, but it was a wholemeal wrap which I can`t really eat...….we did swap and share anyway, one crab cake for one half of my wrap...….and I ate the filling of my half...….oh my goodness......so tasty...….but I do prefer shrimp as it was meant to be, it didn't really need the jerk seasoning...…..

But, our meal was lovely...…...we thoroughly enjoyed every single bit of it...….and didn't leave much on the plate!!!! Even the coleslaw was sweet and tasty....but as the rain had finally eased a little we thought we may as well head out while it looked as if it was going to go off...…..well, wishful thinking really...…

We paid and as we headed out a young lady stopped me by the arm and pointed out I had left my faithful hat on my seat!!!! I am always doing that......one year I left and lost 4 hats in Universal alone. So, I was very grateful she pointed it out as I wouldn't have noticed as it certainly wasn't sunny outside...….

We did take a picture of the exterior as it wasn't too bad at this point...…..I would happily eat there again on our next visit...…..

i-xrmRrnQ-XL.jpg

We stumbled from one shop front to the other to avoid the rain that was although not torrential now, but it was a steady fall...….I did find my hat handy for not getting my hair wet...…..

I love hats!!!! I really do, and I love when we get invited to an event that involves a dressy outfit with hats included...….sadly they are becoming less and less common...…...but, any excuse...…..I`ll be there!!

i-FszpcF9-XL.jpg

It was a shame we didn't get to spend some more time here today, but one shop owner did tell us we should find somewhere to hide out for the afternoon if we planned to stay as there was more heavy storms on the way...….

i-BjR2mKh-XL.jpg

So, we did what we thought best and that was to head for home...…...no point in hanging around to do anything since it was going to be so bad.

By the time we walked the few moments to the car, the heavens were beginning to open up again...…...it felt incredibly muggy and as we left the car park, the skies began to open again...…….

More coming up...……….

The drive back was a nightmare.

I was so glad I driven to St Augustine and not back, as at one point I may just have stopped the car in the middle of the road and got out!!!

We were only driving around 40 minutes when, although it had been raining, it wasn't like this incoming storm. You couldn't see three feet in front of you and at times not even that far...…...even the idiots on the roads who will drive fast regardless of weather conditions had slowed down...….it was very scary and we had never seen anything like it before. We had been coming to Florida for long enough we knew what flash storms like this could be like, but this was definitely the worst we had driven in.

Now the water was actually turning the road into one big river...…..we could see nothing at all.....no lanes and practically no one around us either. Sandford area was worse than anywhere else...…..we must have got down to around 5mph there...…..

Eventually after another twenty minutes we began to see a respite in it and could actually see the road in front of us...…..I admit to being a little afraid there.....not about Tom`s driving, but the abilities of those around us.

Getting back home was indeed a relief today and I was never so glad to see our hotel than today!!! We got parked and headed back in towards the lobby......the parking garage is only a few minutes walk and it is undercover to walk to the lobby...….although this picture is looking towards the garage, you can see how protected you are from the elements...…….it`s nice to be able to stay dry.

i-2ktWMVB-XL.jpg

Back in our room we immediately notice our housekeeper has made us some lovely little displays with the towels...….we leave an envelope every day for her and she always replies with a Thank you and smiley face on the note pad...….so this was a nice little extra today......so cute!!! She really is a lovely lady and our room is always immaculate!!

i-s8FbNDj-XL.jpg

i-dpxpZvf-XL.jpg

Strangely we are a bit exhausted after our rather tense journey today...…..so we decide we aren't going back out today...…..it was a shame really the weather was so bad as Tom didn't really get to enjoy the drive as much as he should have, but I was sure he would manage some more another day...…..

So, we poured ourselves a rather large glass of wine, very large I suppose and sat and watched Ironman on tv...…...it was a nice way to chill down from what was quite a stressful journey...….

And it worked as we both fell asleep on the very comfortable sofa during the movie...…...we never did see the end of it, although I`m sure Tom knew it by heart...…..that was his kind of movie...…….but sleep we did, for maybe an hour or so...…….

We woke up and it was still fairly dark outside as rain was still heaving down...…….so, we wouldn't even be going into Citywalk tonight...……

There and then we thought we would spend some time in StrongWater then go down to Amatista for some food later...…..

The bar was fairly quiet when we went in, but decided we would sit at the bar as we knew a few of the staff behind the bar tonight...…..and we do like sitting at the bar...…...so, ordered a beer for Tom and I got my first rum revival of the evening...…..

i-qgJscsm-XL.jpg

i-rZH3d6Z-XL.jpg

We got chatting to a husband and wife who again lived within an hour of Universal...…...must be lovely...…..they came usually once a month and stayed at Sapphire so it was nice to chat to them...….I think his name was Jay or Mike...…..but he was very nice...….

We chatted for a while with him and I spent some time on the internet too as him and Tom got on to talking about sports...…..I am so not interested in sports unless it`s cars......but they were talking football or basketball or something else with a ball...….so, yes sports bore me beyond anything else...….

The guy was nice though...…..and Tom does like to talk sports with folks...…..

The bar was still reasonably quiet for this time of evening...……..it really is a lovely bar and we love spending time in it...……...drinks are so good, atmosphere is excellent as staff are so friendly...….and food is tempting!!!!

i-R4q3zvf-XL.jpg

The cocktail list is not extensive, but there is an adequate choice for almost everyone...…….and I had long tasted every one of them...…..had several favourites by now...…….couldn't pick just one!!!

The menu is online so I won`t post it all, but the menu is ever changing regarding food......and they are constantly adapting it, the chef is immensely proud of his menu in here...…..

i-vd69Msr-XL.jpg

i-r8RfKhp-XL.jpg

This is just a small selection of the rums on sale here...…...some really unusual ones and Tom had enjoyed several rum flights in here...….he had enjoyed all the rums, and had picked out a few old favourites by now………

i-28MshvV-XL.jpg

We order another rum revival for me and Tom gets a Modelo draught beer this time...…..and he did like it...….I think it was local from memory...….and we opted to have a Caribbean ceviche between us as a little appetizer...…..this was one of our regular choices in here...….absolutely delicious and full of flavor....all the fish in it were succulent and so tasty......you could really differentiate the variety of flavours……..and the coconut cream was divine!!!

i-BXq3TNL-XL.jpg

We enjoyed our little app and our second drink...…...one of our favourite barmen tried to tempt us into staying...….of course...….they are all such fun and we enjoyed our conversations with them all..….but we wanted to go and eat in Amatista and have a relaxing time sitting in there...…..

So we said farewell to our new acquaintances and wished them an enjoyable rest of their trip and we headed in to the lobby area to go down to Amatista……

We always meet some lovely and unique people on our travels........most folks love to chat with strangers as we do........people are generally lovely and we have been very lucky over the years and met some amazing people and many have remained friends over the years.

We head out and remark they do have a fabulous Universal store in the middle of the lobby...…..it does carry a good amount of products and some handy little last minute items too, and it is very popular...…..

i-Hj3wZ4B-XL.jpg

The Dutch Trading co is open from very early till very late...…..breakfast to dinner and everything in between were available here...….the coffee was nice and anything we had from here was nice, and very well priced.

i-qQMWSsD-XL.jpg

The lobby area does have a conveniently placed will call and a place you can purchase tickets and much more I`m sure...….we really liked the lobby area of this hotel...…..we liked the open aspect and although it was light and airy, it had a warm welcoming feel about it...……

i-VScgB8F-XL.jpg

i-8sstv3c-XL.jpg

And of course the inspired staircase...…...we thought this was beautiful...…...visually stunning, and also a handy way to get down to Amatista, the boat dock and the lower floors...……

i-hTBLNZQ-XL.jpg

i-Mx8HTdw-XL.jpg

Amatista was fairly busy tonight...…..I suppose the weather had encouraged folks to not wander too far, as it was still raining and fairly heavy...….we saw a few folks come straight off the boat from the park and they were drenched...…….we were glad to be in and dry.

i-vBnWTKB-XL.jpg

i-HVz9Xf5-XL.jpg

We were seated in a nice booth and proceeded to order a blackcurrant bourbon cocktail for me and Tom had another Modelo beer…….he had enjoyed the last one!!!!

As for food, we couldn't decide...…..and eventually after much thought and consideration, chose the meat lovers flatbread for Tom and the pork fajita flatbread for me...…..although realistically we should have shared one between us...……it was a lot of food!!

And she brought us bread which we shouldn't have eaten, but we did try a little...……..and the cocktail and beer were both lovely...….

i-hTxPJTS-XL.jpg

i-4Tb5GcL-XL.jpg

i-VNP9NSD-XL.jpg

i-CCFPRh9-XL.jpg

They were both lovely...….although mine had to go back and be remade as there was red onion on it...…..I had asked for no onion and it had just been missed......it wasn't a disaster and they did have the new one out for me pretty quickly, so I didn't take a picture of the new one as this one looks delicious.....

And they both were...…….but so filling. I know we didn't finish them!!!! The food in here has never been a disappointment, varied flavours and certainly a choice for most people...….

i-V25kkt5-XL.jpg

The family opposite us saw us taking pictures, and the young lad who was may be around 17 asked if we wanted him to take a picture......of course we would, how lovely of him to offer...….so he took a couple and we thanked him very much...….we did chat briefly to his family who were leaving...….think it was a special occasion dinner for them.

We sat for a little longer and then paid the check and left...…….Tom had this notion for a sparkly...…..now, we had bottles of wine in the room.....but he wanted sparkly!!!! So into the Dutch Trading co and bought a bottle of prosecco...……...and some potato chips although why I`m not sure as we were full to bursting right now...………

i-pjJm3wq-XL.jpg

The lady who cleans our room had removed the wine glasses we had......I think she must have thought they needed replacing...….so we used the glasses from the bedroom tray...……..anything would do...……..

It was very nice......and to be honest we weren't that tired now...…...so we sat and watched some movie or other on demand...…..

This had been a strange day...….we hadn't done much at all......but we had such a fun day...….except maybe when the road looked like a swimming pool.....that wasn't so funny!!

But around midnight we finally had emptied the prosecco and even managed to eat a few chips...…..then wondered why we put on weight!!!!

We would worry about that when we got home :blush:...……..and did plan to eat healthy at some point...……

Well we would try...………:duck:

But, for now...…..sleep...….and we did plan a park day tomorrow...…...::yes::

Last edited:
Summer rains won’t stop you from exploring and having a good time!

Yep, we adjust to suit...…..never let it stop from having fun...…even if it stops us going outside...…..:thumbsup2

I`m glad you`re still reading along and enjoying...….::yes::

So, it's raining outside as I'm reading this... your road trip is giving me jitters about driving home (not that I'm reading this at work.... a-hem...) and then going to Davy's back to school night tonight (where the parents meet the teachers -- and we'll all look like drowned rats!).

So, it's raining outside as I'm reading this... your road trip is giving me jitters about driving home (not that I'm reading this at work.... a-hem...) and then going to Davy's back to school night tonight (where the parents meet the teachers -- and we'll all look like drowned rats!).

Oh dear!!

Looking like a drowned rat is never good.........:laughing:

I’ll bet your Davy’s teachers are thrilled to get him......:thumbsup2 He’s a little star!

Sounds a pretty perfect day, we always say as long as there is a bar somewhere then a rainy day can be enjoyed

I think I recall hearing that May was more rainy than usual? Hoping September is the usual heat and storms, absolutely miss them from Australian summers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter