New York vs. Sequoia

Mom2Finn

Mouseketeer
I am looking to book one of these for a trip next summer. My kids will be 6 and 9. Are there any benefits of one versus another? Thanks in advance!

one is deluxe one is moderate
but I heard that disney has improved some of the resorts to make them a better star rating

I am looking to book one of these for a trip next summer. My kids will be 6 and 9. Are there any benefits of one versus another? Thanks in advance!

Both have access to EMH
Both are walkable to the park entrance

Hotel New York
First hotel when you exit Disney Village
Closest hotel (except Disneyland Hotel) to main park entrance
All rooms are located in the main hotel building
Spa, sauna, stream room, gym and pool located in main hotel building
Tennis court
Kids play room and video game area
Club level suites have VIP Fastpass
Club level rooms have hotel Fastpass
Plaza rooms face Lake Disney

Sequoia Lodge
Second hotel when you exit Disney Village
Not all rooms are in main building, most standard rooms located in lodges behind main building
Sauna, stream room, gym and pool not located in the main hotel building
Kids play area
Club level suites have VIP Fastpass
Club level rooms have hotel Fastpass
Montana Lake View rooms face Lake Disney
Club level rooms only have mini fridge

FWIW, all rooms at the SQL have been renovated recently, while the rooms at the NYH tend to wear out a little.

If you're interested into staying in a standard room, I would maybe recommend the SQL. If you have more money to splurge and are ready to pay an ESC rooom, the NYH might be worth it, especially considering the Manhattan signature restaurant is better than any restaurants at the SQL.

Think there are die hard fans of the New York but I'm afraid to say it does nothing for me! We've eaten there in the past and visited for a drink a couple of weeks ago but it still doesn't appeal! The two major pluses I can think of is the location (closer to the parks) and that they do room service, if that interests you.

However, I loved the Sequoia Lodge where we just stayed, would definitely stay there again.

We’ve stayed in both and now feel that sequoia lodge edges it. The theming is so much nicer, New York feels a little bit corporate sterile to us. The pool at SL has a slide and is more child friendly too.

Also you can usually get a golden Forrest room at SL cheaper that a standard room at HNY, which for me is a no brainier. You get breakfast, afternoon snacks, free drinks and free daily fast passes. Golden forest rooms are all in the main building too.

Last edited:

When is the New York refurb to be complete? Planning for a June 2018 trip.

jees they are closing it for the whole refurb duration?.

I reckon prices will skyrocket in the other hotels then.

I was going by what olafLover said a few posts up. I'd be surprised if they did too.

In the other hotels that's what they did, but they announced they'd close New York entirely. It was a while ago, so it might have changed
Ah sorry, didn't know they'd announced that, just went on by what I'd seen in the other refurbs.

Bold move if you ask me!

The Sephora convention held at NPB last month was chaos, they took over whole buses at a time, and clogged all the corridors, not to mention staggering back to the hotel at 2am. This will just increase the pressure with NY's convention space closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!