New Zealand volcano erupts while Royal Caribbean ship is nearby

I have read various reports that there are at least 15 dead with many still unaccounted for. I think the RCL excursion had 30 people on the island.
Denise

The footage you see on the news was actually filmed by a person who just finished the excursion and got back on the boat to leave with his family. That boat circled back to pick up as many as it could take. Or so the early reports state.
Just horrible. Nature is a B.

Not stopped thinking about this all day.
It seems very close to home, I've done this run on a different RC ship, and spent some time on Ovation this year.

Was just watching it on the news, it's just unbelievable.

http://crew-center.com/ovation-seas-passengers-and-crew-missing-after-new-zealand-volcano-erupts
I did the cruise in 2017 thought about going on the volcano tour but decided not to, will the waiver forms keep the company from being sued and will this stop any more tourist trips I think it must do that.

Imho
Why any excursion at all was offered is beyond comprehension when it was allegedly reported that seismic activity had increased and the threat of eruption as well, had increased. Mother Nature...

Travelers rely on Companies/tour companies to Know what’s safe/not... .. was it a Rccl sponsored tour? Was it a reputable company ? Anyone can sue, but the facts will make a huge difference. If rccl relied on a reputable company’s decision that it was safe, how could they be liable? If rccl decided to use some cheapo/doesn’t pass muster outfit, that’d be a different story.
I’d be surprised if that were the case. Did people just do this on their own as well??

Regardless who is at fault... it’s a Tragedy... though one that seemed avoidable!
Prayers for All the victims/families ... may the the injured survivors have the physical, emotional and spiritual strength to get thru the often long road to recovery.
And to the lost...RIP
So very sad...

I did the cruise in 2017 thought about going on the volcano tour but decided not to, will the waiver forms keep the company from being sued and will this stop any more tourist trips I think it must do that.

I read that in NZ is nearly impossible to sue for things like this.

It is an absolute tragedy and one that has dominated our news all week (in New Zealand).

Although the threat level had increased, it was still at a level deemed “no potential threat to life”. There will be investigations that will determine if the tour operators had any information that should have made them hesitate about running the tours.

In New Zealand people cannot sue, so the families won’t sue the tour operators. But our healthy and safety laws are very strict and there will be huge fines if the tour operators were negligent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter