Newbie advice reg/travel 2019 marathon

AJruns

Mouseketeer
Hi all, I've done hours worth of researching today but still have some confusion/questions that I'm hoping the more experienced people here can help me out with. I know I want to sign up for the full marathon (first one!) and it's been really fun to start planning and read all the info online. My basic info is this- solo racer, solo hotel-stayer (if I can rope some running friends/spectators into joining me I will, but I'm not counting on it and have to book not knowing). My biggest focus is the race- I've seen the Magic Kingdom relatively recently; if I wanted to see a park(s) it would be Animal Kingdom or Epcot (or HP which I know is unrelated). I've also stayed at a Disney hotel and looooved it, but I've had that experience and budget is my bigger concern.

My biggest question initially was about hotels, and my research has led me to these conclusions:

- staying at a Disney hotel is best, and it's best because of the transportation options
- no single Disney hotel offers a huge advantage over another in terms of being a solo marathon racer
- the non-Disney Hilton/Astoria hotels offer discounted race packages that include transportation
- my hotel stay would only be two nights (Sat and Sun- I would like to arrive Thurs or Fri but would go extra budget friendly then)

So my plan was to just to register for the race, maybe or maybe not get a park ticket for 1-2 days, and find the cheapest Disney hotel, but it appears that those dates haven't been released yet? Then I questioned whether I should just book one of the off-site hotels if transportation isn't an issue and they are cheaper (and potentially nicer than Pop?)

Today though I found out about the registration delay, and it will be trickier for me to sign up. I'll be out of the country starting June 1 with somewhat limited internet access and was hoping to have everything booked before I left. I also found out about the travel agents who can reserve bibs for you with packages. So that seemed like the obvious answer, but then I'm locking not just myself into the price of a Disney hotel and park ticket, but anyone who I could get to come along and share with me as well.

Ultimately I'm looking for a balance on the most fun, easy experience for the best value (aren't we all?!). I'm a planner and like to obsess over every detail! As a side note, I'm also curious if anyone knows of virtual or real groups to follow/join before or at the event- as a solo racer it would be fun to meet people doing this race too.

Thanks!

You picked a great first marathon. It was my first as well.

Staying at a Disney hotel for a race weekend works really well if you don't have a car. If you have a car you could be completely fine offsite.

Which hotel depends on what you want out of it. If you are looking to be budget friendly value hotels are best with cheapest being the All-Stars. I think you are best going with a Disney value to have the race transportation for the race itself and the expo.

If you go through a travel agent they will be able to get discounts for you unless they book you in a room block. Travel agents are able to book discounts for your stay if they do come out but that is not alway guaranteed. That means you aren't necessarily locked into one price. Park ticket prices don't decrease so if you buy those now you will be fine.

We have a large group of people running here on this board. We have a Strava running group as well. There are several groups on Facebook and other social media for runDisney events. runDisney has a huge community of runners.

I'll add my two cents worth (which might be what it's worth!)...... I speak as someone who has always done the races solo.

-The marathon is the one event that usually takes longest to sell out (if at all). I would not overly stress about the registration for this one. Yes, do it when it opens, but I doubt it will sell out. Its not an anniversary year like 2018.

-I have stayed onsite mostly, but have done offsite once. If you plan to have a car, it is quite possible to find a higher value property offsite and just drive. Just make sure you comprehend the fees that properties have: offsite may have resort fees and parking, Disney has parking fees for resorts (as a guest) and parks (as non-guests). I looked at the Hilton, but once I added the fees (I had a car), I chose not to do it. If you don't plan to have a car, then staying onsite would be easier. You can get to parks, race expo, race via Disney bus options.

--You mentioned "nicer than Pop". You won't likely find a value property onsite that beats it. I will add a vote for Pop. I have gone from "I will never stay there" to "this is a good value choice". The rooms are being renovated--I stayed there for Dopey this past January and got one. It had many nice features and I was pretty happy. By next year, they should all be done. I like to get one overlooking the lake. It's not a bad option. Any other resort category will cost big bucks. You could look at renting DVC points to stay at a studio (to get a nicer location at less than Disney rack/discounted rate), but would have to do soon, since the booking window is already open and availability is already getting tight.

--Others can comment on going through a Travel Agent. I have not done this. You can make it one stop shopping and be done with it, but there will be commitments to make re: hotel and possibly park tickets.

--Check out the Marathon weekend 2019 thread and also look for the Meet-up thread. For this past year, there were pre-race gatherings (at 0 dark thirty!), post-race gatherings, a Friday meetup at Hurricane Hannah's at BCV and Monday's Drink around the World at Epcot. If you want to meet people, there are always people willing to meet!

Good luck with your planning. WDW was my first marathon, too.

I've never gone through a Travel Agent, but I'm pretty sure they do have insurance options and some sort of cancellation policy (the insurance thing is definitely right because that's how runDisney Travel tries to get people to book packages through them)...maybe ask about that if you reach out to them before actually committing.

I think you can call Disney for rates. They are available, just not online. For 2017, I booked POFQ and watched the Room Discount thread. Once promos were announced (think it was September), I called in to change the rate.

You can definitely call and book rooms for 2019 even though they aren't listed online yet. Then as Princess KP said if a discount becomes available between now and the trip you just call back and ask for the rate change.

So while I've never done a Marathon weekend solo, I have done Disney races solo. I have also booked everything on my own, with a travel agent for the room only, and with a travel agent for the entire package. Based on what you've said I would see if you can find a TA that has discounted rooms form Marathon weekend. I use a TA that prebuys a block of rooms for Marathon weekend and then offers them at a discount. If discounts come out that will lower your rate the TA will handle that for you. If you book this way it would be most likely the least expensive way to get an onsite room and you could add other people to it without them needing to book a package.

Driving to the race and the expo is not crazy. If you will have a car and there are good offsite options but you loose the FP+ booking window and will have to pay for parking during your resort days.

In terms of "best value rooms" I think based on your price point I might look at Contemporary Garden Wing rooms, Pop, and Swan/Dolphin. I think all of those provide really good value for what you pay.

A couple things I take into consideration when choosing the hotel for my Disney races:

1. Hot tub is mandatory for me. The value resorts don't have them. After a long race I really love being able to go soak in a hot tub.

2. How/what will I eat the morning before the race? My "go to" pre race breakfast is a toasted English muffin with peanut butter and coffee. Lots of coffee. Again, most of the values don't have coffee makers. Most rooms in general will not have a toaster. So I either plan to bring my own toaster/coffee maker, or stay in one of the special rooms that does have them (for example, I've stayed at a cabin at Fort Wilderness for some race weekends.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter