Newbie Disney family to ABD with questions...

funshipm174

DIS Veteran
This would be our first trek to Europe as we would like to do the ABD England/France trip summer of 2015. Not sure if that is the best time but wife and I work and 16 year old son is in High School.

We are at WDW or DL mostly every year but we want to expand our horizons and our son really wants to see London, and France seems like a nice place to visit.

How does this work though? I see a certain number meals are included, but we would like to meet other people also, so is dining on our own or does the tour have a group dinner if you would like to join in?

Do we fly out on our own or does the group meet at one location like JFK and fly out together?

I understand there is Disney Magic on these tours from hat I have read :cool1: and that is something nice!

Sorry if some of these questions are lame but I have never done something like this before and wanted to ask!

Last question: What would anyone's second choice for a trip be as a second option with a teen son in lieu of England / London ?

Thanks

This would be our first trek to Europe as we would like to do the ABD England/France trip summer of 2015. Not sure if that is the best time but wife and I work and 16 year old son is in High School.

We did this trip in 2011 and loved it!

How does this work though? I see a certain number meals are included...
The included meals are group meals.

...but we would like to meet other people also, so is dining on our own or does the tour have a group dinner if you would like to join in?
"On your Own time" meals can be on your own or if you want to meet up with other folks and make plans, you can check the ABD meet thread and get to know folks there.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933919

Do we fly out on our own or does the group meet at one location like JFK and fly out together?

Typically, you fly out with just your immediate party. I know some folks have scheduled their travel so they could fly with others in the past. ABD will arrange for transport from Heathrow and to CDG in Paris for you based on your flights.

I understand there is Disney Magic on these tours from hat I have read :cool1: and that is something nice!

Pretty amazing stuff!

Last question: What would anyone's second choice for a trip be as a second option with a teen son in lieu of England / London ?

With a teen son, Backstage Magic would be fun. But I think all of the adventures have their own charm. The only one I am "ify" on is the New York City trip.

We are going to Italy in September (just us adults this time) and taking DS 10 (12 for this trip) to do Backstage Magic and the San Francisco trip back to back in 2015.

We did the England/France Knights and Lights in 2011, although the itinerary has changed slightly since, it was a great trip.

You may want to post over on the ABD section of the boards, there is a lot of information there including trip reports that will help fill in some details for a newbie.

The trip includes some meals (usually all the breakfasts, some lunches and some dinners), but there are times when you are on your own, which is a great part of the adventure.

Your ABD guides and the hotel concierge will have suggestions on local restaurants to suit your mood and tastes.

The trip starts in the destination city with an evening dinner and kick off gathering, so it is up to your party to get to the starting city's airport where the ABD program will pick you and your luggage up. ABD coordinates all of this and your departure prior to your flight.

My wife and I are about to leave on our sixth ABD is a few weeks.

We recommend ABD to anyone who has the desire to travel, see amazing sites in first class style with world class guides, meet new people and have true adventures.

Good luck!

We did this trip in 2011 and loved it!

The included meals are group meals.

"On your Own time" meals can be on your own or if you want to meet up with other folks and make plans, you can check the ABD meet thread and get to know folks there.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933919

Typically, you fly out with just your immediate party. I know some folks have scheduled their travel so they could fly with others in the past. ABD will arrange for transport from Heathrow and to CDG in Paris for you based on your flights.

Pretty amazing stuff!

With a teen son, Backstage Magic would be fun. But I think all of the adventures have their own charm. The only one I am "ify" on is the New York City trip.

We are going to Italy in September (just us adults this time) and taking DS 10 (12 for this trip) to do Backstage Magic and the San Francisco trip back to back in 2015.

Thanks for the replies!:)

Hi, funshipm174! As skunkvette said, please do come join us over in the ABD Forum! We have a lot of folks there who have taken the London/Paris trip (including me!) and lots of other trips, too!

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146

The London/Paris trip is wonderful! You see all the highlights, with the fabulous ABD Guides and wonderful local Guides, too! I can highly recommend it!

I also really, really loved the Greece trip, if you're looking to go to Europe. If your son likes history, there's tons of it there.

For a domestic trip, I highly recommend the Arizona & Utah trip. A great mix of activities and amazing sights.

You just can't go wrong with ABD. I'm going on my sixth ABD (Scotland) in August, and have loved each and every trip!

Sayhello

Hi, funshipm174! As skunkvette said, please do come join us over in the ABD Forum! We have a lot of folks there who have taken the London/Paris trip (including me!) and lots of other trips, too!

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146

The London/Paris trip is wonderful! You see all the highlights, with the fabulous ABD Guides and wonderful local Guides, too! I can highly recommend it!

I also really, really loved the Greece trip, if you're looking to go to Europe. If your son likes history, there's tons of it there.

For a domestic trip, I highly recommend the Arizona & Utah trip. A great mix of activities and amazing sights.

You just can't go wrong with ABD. I'm going on my sixth ABD (Scotland) in August, and have loved each and every trip!

Sayhello

Thanks all for the replies!

:)

Would love to go to Europe ... Do you guys have any idea of the cost of one of these trips? I suspect they are expensive...

I've never been on ABD but hope to one day. I have however been to London and Paris multiple times and I feel like these are 2 cities that you can easily tour on your own and there's SO much to do you won't be missing the Disney "magic". I'm hoping to go on a ABD to a place I would be less comfortable doing on my own. I guess I justify some of the extra cost in the convenience and reassurance knowing I will be taken care of Disney style.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter