Newbie...need help

cm387

Mouseketeer
We just got back on Sunday from 10 glorious days in the world and I finally convinced the hubby to go on the tour. Needless to say, we are now trying to figure out how many points to purchase. Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me? Right now our kids are 6, 4 & 2 with #4 due in April. When will we be forced into a 2 bedroom? I know the 1 bedroom sleeps 4, but a 2 bedroom seems kind of ridiculous for us until the kids are a little bit bigger. Also, how long does it take to close? We already have airfare for October and need a place to stay and it doesn't look like any AP rates are going to be available...we're travelling in the "black hole" period. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! :goodvibes

cm387 said:
We just got back on Sunday from 10 glorious days in the world and I finally convinced the hubby to go on the tour. Needless to say, we are now trying to figure out how many points to purchase. Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me? Right now our kids are 6, 4 & 2 with #4 due in April. When will we be forced into a 2 bedroom? I know the 1 bedroom sleeps 4, but a 2 bedroom seems kind of ridiculous for us until the kids are a little bit bigger. Also, how long does it take to close? We already have airfare for October and need a place to stay and it doesn't look like any AP rates are going to be available...we're travelling in the "black hole" period. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! :goodvibes

The maximum occupancy for studios and 1 bedroom units is 4 persons plus an infant under 3. A portable crib is provided for the infant. Technically, you will need a 2 bedroom when the 2 year old turns 3, and you'll almost certainly be required to get one when the baby is born - Congratulations on the pending addition.

MS has reportedly been allowing 5 persons in a 1 bedroom (but not a studio). They may or may not allow 6 - even if one is an infant. My advice is to plan on the 2 bedroom when you make your purchase.

AFAIK, no one at DVC does bed checks. DVC does not provide bedding beyond what is in the unit - if you need more because of extra persons, you'll have to provide it yourself.

If you purchase from Disney directly, you will be able to make a reservation as soon as they have your deposit. However, availability is already very limited for October, so there is no guarantee that you will be able to get a DVC reservation for that time. 60 days prior to the date, DVC often releases unreserved inventory to CRO. So within 60 days of arrival, members are usually competing with the general public for any unreserved points inventory. Given the popularity of the free dining promotion, it is very possible that rooms will not be available for points or cash for the time you want to visit. You may want to consider making a back up reservation somewhere - if you haven't already.

Good luck with your decision.

Best wishes -

cm387
To decide on the number of points to purchase is a sometimes difficult thing. If buying directly from disney the min. is 150 (and that sounds like the way you're leaning) but if you decide to buy resale there is no min. and many times the cost per point is lower (but it takes longer to get in Disneys system in order to make ressies :( ).
Back to the question. You need to evaluate your use of disney world; when do you normally go; how frequently you'll go (once /twice a year?; every other year?) how long you'll stay, and of course what size villa (2 BR prob, since young'ns grow quickly), and most importantly how much can you comfortably afford (a vacation isn't as much fun if you're worried about how you're gonna pay for it!) If you took the tour you should have gotten the book that has all the point schedules in it.
So what we did when we were deciding was to actually make the plans and then add up the amt of points we should get. We live far, and the airfare is outrageous (by far the most expensive part of any trip for us!) so we planned on going only every 2-3 years and have longer stays when we get there (by banking, and borrowing). With the 100 pts we bought we have 3 trips "planned" an 8 nt in a 2BR in '06 (invited along Grandparents), and a 6 nt in a 1 BR (yea we lose a kid to college :cheer2: ) in '07; another trip in a 1 Br in '09.
CarolMN was right on with taking into account the busy times, and when rooms are turned over for cash ressies. So you need to be aware that you need to be flexible with when you want to go, and which resort you'd stay at, OR be a meticulus planner; and plan your trips at the 11 month mark for your home, and 7 month mark for any others

Hope this helps and wasn't to long winded! :rolleyes1

Get enough points for a Two Bedroom villa and bring along a grandparent or two. You get a built-in babysitter for a couple of nice nights out with your SO, and the folks joining you will never forget the memories they make with your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter