Newbie ride questions

SarahD112

Mouseketeer
My 17 year old and I are doing a few days at Universal before rest of family joins us for Disney trip in October. I know NOTHING about Universal. We have made reservations for two nights at Cabana Bay (getting in late on a Saturday) and plan to spend two days in two parks with park to park tickets. I haven’t gotten park tickets yet because they’re offering two days with a third free, and that’s not an option for us, so maybe a better discount will come along? Anyway, with that done, I’m starting to research the park, look for touring plans, etc. In looking at the rides, it seems like there are a LOT of motion simulator rides. 🤢 When Universal’s site says motion simulator, are they meaning similar to Star Tours, where you sit in a box with a screen? Those can make me a little nauseous. But I love rides like AK’s Dinosaur. I can’t do the big coaster anymore, but love the log rides. Just trying to get a feel for which ones are better off avoided! It’s not worth feeling poorly after a ride anymore... unless it’s a spectacular can’t-miss, have-to-ride-it-once kind of ride.

We have had some recent threads asking about rides not screen based and those that are

I read all the threads so can’t off the top of my head tell you which ones will be beneficial for you to read

If you use the search button on the right side of the page, you will be able to bring up the threads that will help you

No one can tell you if a ride will bother you, you will just have to give it a shot and see. When ever this situation comes up, the ride most people agree on as causing problems is the simpsons. I love that ride and have never been bothered on it.

Not all the simulator rides are in the star tours type way. Universal does rely on a lot of screens. Many you can just shut your eyes on those parts and still enjoy the ride.

Even if you skip all the simulator rides there is still lots to do in the parks.

My 17 year old and I are doing a few days at Universal before rest of family joins us for Disney trip in October. I know NOTHING about Universal. We have made reservations for two nights at Cabana Bay (getting in late on a Saturday) and plan to spend two days in two parks with park to park tickets. I haven’t gotten park tickets yet because they’re offering two days with a third free, and that’s not an option for us, so maybe a better discount will come along? Anyway, with that done, I’m starting to research the park, look for touring plans, etc. In looking at the rides, it seems like there are a LOT of motion simulator rides. 🤢 When Universal’s site says motion simulator, are they meaning similar to Star Tours, where you sit in a box with a screen? Those can make me a little nauseous. But I love rides like AK’s Dinosaur. I can’t do the big coaster anymore, but love the log rides. Just trying to get a feel for which ones are better off avoided! It’s not worth feeling poorly after a ride anymore... unless it’s a spectacular can’t-miss, have-to-ride-it-once kind of ride.
I am sometimes bothered by simulators but I ride everything at Universal. A couple precautions I take are to take a Meclizine every day (it is the same as non-drowsy dramamine) and I make sure they my stomach is NEVER empty when riding those rides. I know that second sounds counter-intuitive, but it really works. Not super full mind you, just something in there - I carry a lot of small granola bars and such.
Ok, that being said, I would say there are some that are really can't miss rides but could cause issues. The biggest for me is Forbidden Journey. The ride and tech and mixed virtual/real sections of the ride is off-the-charts amazing. BUT it can cause some nausea - so you'll have to decide for yourself. It is unlike any other ride for comparison, but definitely has a reputation for motion sickness. This ride gets a special note from me because it is both a potential motion sickness problem AND a can't miss.

Some other notes on rides:
Rides that remind me most of Star Tours are Minions and Simpsons(both Universal Studios) - neither are enclosed like ST but the premise is similar - moving seats while watching a screen. Neither really causes me any issues but I would say that have potential to for others. Also similar is Jimmy Fallon (US) - though that is the whole theater moving and is quite a bit less intense to me - no issues at all with that one.

I recommend trying Kong(Islands of Adventure) and Fast and Furious (US) (though FF isn't great, really, but low waits) as they are a bit like Dinosaur but with screens. They are large and open and I have never had nausea issue with them.

Transformers (US) and Spiderman (IoA) are exactly the same ride system. They have a heavy simulator element and actively moving vehicles. Neither has ever bothered me for some reason I can't explain. Might be that there is a lot of actual motion instead of just simulated motion. If you are feeling up for it, try one. I personally would label Spiderman as can't miss. If you love/hate one you are likely to love/hate the other in the same way. :-)

Gringots(US) is sort of a light coaster with screens for scenes - not motion simulator but for storytelling. It IS a coaster but fairly mild. Less intense than Big Thunder Mountain for some reference. If you are a Potter fan - it is amazing.

There is a GREAT log ride - Ripsaw Falls (IoA) - cute Dudley Doright cartoon theme - rather intense but fun hill at the end. I also recommend the Popeye ride nearby - it is a raging river style ride - loads of fun. Both will get you SUPER wet, so plan ahead if you want to ride them. Not a simulator in sight.

That's what comes to mind - I am sure you will have a wonderful trip even if you don't ride anything iffy!

Last edited:

Also the Mummy is a great indoor, non-intense-but-super-fun coaster, not a simulator, real scenes ride. A must do.

I'd agree on all of Cuchman's points. Particularly about FJ.

Kong is 3D but different style - large open air truck moving along between screen scenes, non-nauseating.

Gringotts is in the same vein as Mummy but with 3D glasses and screen scenes.

Men in Black is not a simulator, but does quite a bit of spinning if that is a concern for your stomach.

I suggest getting the current ticket deal since you’ll still be in Orlando. If you get bored at Disney (totally possible for a 17yo) or just want to re-ride a favorite you can pop back over even for just a few hours. Or use it on your arrival day just to get the lay of the land. Ticket deals will almost always be only for longer stays. 1-2 tickets won’t be on deal.
Minions and Simpsons bothered me motion wise but all others we’re fine (occasionally had to close my eyes on some others but no biggie).

We just got back. Let me first say, I am a BIG ride chicken and had never ridden most at Uni (although I love the place). I don’t usually do coasters of any kind—did ride Hagrid’s and it’s fantastic but it will be my one and done since it scared the beegeeuz out of me. After that and wanting to experience Kong, this time I did the 3D rides.

I have some vertigo and do get motion sick. And a fear of heights.

Kong, Spider-Man and Transfomers were all fantastic and I experienced no motion sickness at all. I did look down a couple of times on all of them just to get my bearings and ward off any dizziness. but really enjoyed them. (All three will be non misses for me from now on)

The one that did me in was Jimmy Fallon. I wasn’t worried about it in the least got in, buckled up and at the first movement on the screen, I knew it was a bad idea. I really think it’s between the intense movement on the screen and non movement of the car (well it is moving but not the same) it just gets all the signals crossed in my head. After that I didn’t do Minions or Fast and Furious because I didn’t feel like I could ride anything else.

If spinning bothers you, Men in Black has a lot of spinning ( no 3D) and SpiderMan has some.

I did learn not to close my eyes if the car is moving. It works better for me to just look down at the car or at my lap.

I rode FJ last trip. Don’t like a couple of movements of the cart. Caused a little vertigo for me.

It’s really depends on what makes you motion sick. Like the pp said, no one can really say. Make sure you have eaten something prior and are hydrated.

We just got back. Let me first say, I am a BIG ride chicken and had never ridden most at Uni (although I love the place). I don’t usually do coasters of any kind—did ride Hagrid’s and it’s fantastic but it will be my one and done since it scared the beegeeuz out of me. After that and wanting to experience Kong, this time I did the 3D rides.

I have some vertigo and do get motion sick. And a fear of heights.

Kong, Spider-Man and Transfomers were all fantastic and I experienced no motion sickness at all. I did look down a couple of times on all of them just to get my bearings and ward off any dizziness. but really enjoyed them. (All three will be non misses for me from now on)

The one that did me in was Jimmy Fallon. I wasn’t worried about it in the least got in, buckled up and at the first movement on the screen, I knew it was a bad idea. I really think it’s between the intense movement on the screen and non movement of the car (well it is moving but not the same) it just gets all the signals crossed in my head. After that I didn’t do Minions or Fast and Furious because I didn’t feel like I could ride anything else.

If spinning bothers you, Men in Black has a lot of spinning ( no 3D) and SpiderMan has some.

I did learn not to close my eyes if the car is moving. It works better for me to just look down at the car or at my lap.

I rode FJ last trip. Don’t like a couple of movements of the cart. Caused a little vertigo for me.

It’s really depends on what makes you motion sick. Like the pp said, no one can really say. Make sure you have eaten something prior and are hydrated.

Glad you had such a good time and enjoyed the rides.......funnily enough my husband has no issues at all with rides......could spin till the cows come home.......but Jimmy Fallon knocked him a little.....didn’t expect that either. But it’s such a bad ride we won’t be doing it again anyway.

I have issues and can’t do Simpson’s or TF.......but I find not closing my eyes helps too.......I do the trick of focusing on the ride vehicle or someone in front of me usually the back of their head......closing my eyes makes it a hundred times worse.

And yes, everyone is different, no one knows which rides will make you bad till you try........

Jurassic Park is a great boat ride that won't cause any motion sickness. Not sure if that one got mentioned. Also Flight of the Hippogriff is really fun but mild coaster like Barnstormer.

How do you do on Soarin' at Epcot? The motion simulators at Universal are a lot closer to Soarin than they are to Star Tours.

Everything depends on the person. It changes from what one person can handle to the next. However, the two most reported rides that give people motion sickness issues from what I've seen is Forbidden Journey and the Simpsons. The Simpsons being the closest thing to being like Star Tours (screen is like Soarin', but can be rough and moves like Star Tours). Forbidden Journey I believe is reported a lot due to the fact that while the movement is smooth and gentle on the ride, the movements can be dramatic and the screens surround you (once again like Soarin') and are close.

I would say to look at general motion sickness remedies by using the Search bar above (perhaps Google too) to see what others do / take in order to prevent motion sickness, as Forbidden Journey is not a ride to be missed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter