Newport Beach, California!

Linda, I know what you mean about seasick. I've been on the flyer with my dad enough times to really understand the impact of seasickness and the nearly equally horrible impact of seasickness pills - it's really tough on him!

My mom and I have spent many days over many years taking the ferry over to Balboa Island and walking around the perimeter of the island. Everyone else walks directly from the ferry to Marine - my mom is the only one who will walk the entire perimeter with me! :) We love that Rosey Toes place for manicures and pedicures and we've enjoyed lunch outside at Ciao's on a few occasions. Hope you can talk your daughter into that walk!

How funny because my DH and I always walk the perimeter too! We never even thought of not walking the whole island. By the way I'll be Newport Beach a week from this Saturday!!! Long walk along the boardwalk and maybe lunch at Sharkys. :cloud9:

So glad to find your post about Newport Beach! We will be heading to DL in July and none of us have ever been to the west coast...I really want to take the kiddos to a beach and requested info from website and received the book on Newport beach this past week! I've yet to get time to look at it but will be jotting some of you info in it! Thanks for the great info and pics! :thumbsup2

We just got back from Crystal Cove Beach Cottages and absolutely loved it. We were in #27 (Dive Shack) for two nights and then up top on the bluff for two nights in a dorm room (#29A). If you have mobility issues, the cottages could be tough with lots of stairs. I know that they have accessible cottages but we were not in one of those cottages and not with anyone that had a wheelchair. My mother-in-law chose not to go because she saw all the stairs when we visited the restaurant and staked it out back in Oct on our Disney trip.

The restaurant can develop a wait, but I saw that they now take some reservations through the opentable website. They have some good kids meals; my kids liked the grilled cheese and fish and chips. My wife enjoyed their wine list and I tried a different drink every visit and their martinis are great. The restaurant is not cheap, but I would say that I felt their appetizers and lunch menu were not necessarily overpriced either for the location (on the sand).

You can take a propane grill and cook your own food if you stay in the cottages. We liked going to the restaurant and having a drink and appetizer (great soups) and then we cooked at our cottage as the sun set.

The beach has some great tide pools (we saw a lot of anemones, mussels and some huge starfish) when the tide is out and from the bluff up top we saw many, many dolphins in the early morning hours.

We thought we might get bored at the beach for so many days and had a contingency to hit Knotts a day and The Aquarium of the Pacific, but the kids had so much fun that we only ever got to the Aquarium. The water is cold, but they mostly just got in up to their ankles and spent most of their time digging in the sand and running from the waves.

The shuttle runs from Los Trancos parking lot for $1 each way and the parking is $15 but I think you can get validated with your Beachcomber receipt; I am not sure because parking was included with our cottage rental. The walk down and under PCH1 is nice, but the walk back up can get tiring and you might consider walking there and then taking the shuttle back up.

We drove through Newport and love that area, but if you ever get a chance to stay in the cottages, I recommend trying it. They are not modern by any means, but it was nice staying in a historic cottage instead of a modern hotel for a change. I have not got pics downloaded yet, but will try and post a few when I do. I think having a beach day and lunch here when we visit Disney is going to be our thing. In October, we did that and then went to the Halloween Party and it was the perfect day/night.

If you do try to stay there, as Sherry mentioned, it is tough to get a reservation. There are numerous quirks with the place regarding check-in and all that, but we researched ahead of time and were ready for them. You do have to pay when you reserve, so when you are reserving 6 months out, that might be an issue. You can cancel, but they charge you some fees to do so. It was definitely a bucket-list thing for us to do. We would love to go back some day and stay at the cottages but just going for a day on our hectic Disney trip was also nice.

LOVE all the info, thank you so much, we needed this! Great pictures too.

Awesome thread OP! Thank you for all of the work. :goodvibes

Can anyone recommend somewhere for surf lessons at Newport Beach?

How funny because my DH and I always walk the perimeter too! We never even thought of not walking the whole island. By the way I'll be Newport Beach a week from this Saturday!!! Long walk along the boardwalk and maybe lunch at Sharkys. :cloud9:

GG, we'll be thinking of you enjoying your day in Newport tomorrow!!

So glad to find your post about Newport Beach! We will be heading to DL in July and none of us have ever been to the west coast...I really want to take the kiddos to a beach and requested info from website and received the book on Newport beach this past week! I've yet to get time to look at it but will be jotting some of you info in it! Thanks for the great info and pics! :thumbsup2

martinolichfamily, have a wonderful trip! After you read through the Newport book, let us know if you have any questions!

oumagic, thanks for that wonderful and detailed report - very helpful! The Beachcomber restaurant at Crystal Cove does take reservations now - we made an open table reservation for our lunch earlier this month. Really enjoyed the margaritas, and the Tiny Ahi Tacos were outstanding - it was my favorite meal of the week! Can't wait to see your photos - particularly any you have of the cottage interiors.

LOVE all the info, thank you so much, we needed this! Great pictures too.

Hi DDNY4ever! Really glad the info is helpful!

Awesome thread OP! Thank you for all of the work. :goodvibes

Can anyone recommend somewhere for surf lessons at Newport Beach?

Thanks, HannaBelle! I love to talk about Newport, so it's a pleasure! Funny you ask about surf lessons. That's on my bucket list, but with three kids and busy schedules, it hasn't happened yet. So I've researched several different places to take surf lessons in Newport, but I don't have any first-hand experience . . . yet! I did grab a surf school card at the 15th Street Surf Shop earlier this month because I'd trust their recommendations. The card is for Clint Carroll Surf School - website is clintcarrollsurf.com. Does anyone have personal experience or additional recommendations? I'd like to know, too!

Thanks for this wonderful thread! Your pictures and recommendations are making me so excited for our trip in January! Thanks!

We're going to California for the first time January 2013 this post was very helpful for our trip, thanks:thumbsup2

Thanks for the great information! I've been looking for a good beach for a day trip when we make it to Disneyland, and you have made Newport Beach look most appealing.:thumbsup2

Thanks for this wonderful thread! Your pictures and recommendations are making me so excited for our trip in January! Thanks!

We're going to California for the first time January 2013 this post was very helpful for our trip, thanks:thumbsup2

Thanks for the great information! I've been looking for a good beach for a day trip when we make it to Disneyland, and you have made Newport Beach look most appealing.:thumbsup2

So glad the information is helpful!!! Newport really is a perfect day trip from DL, with the combination of Balboa Island, Fun Zone and beach! As you plan, please let me know if you have any questions! :)

Thank you, pixarmom, for all the great Newport Beach info. My 20 year old daughter and I are coming out end of July and I have been thinking of staying in this area. My question is that just being the two of us, any tips or recommendations on where to stay? If it isn't directly the ocean front, we are ok, but would at least like a pool. Again, great info that I am most definitely going to use!!

Thank you for this thread :) We went yesterday and I was hoping you could add a little more and I wanted to offer my two cents.

First off, directions for us non-locals would be great! I put 15th street intersection in on my TomTom and it took me to a really nice neighborhood near Newport Harbor HS. Luckily, you added the photo of the 15th Street Surf shop and I was able to look that up to redirect us. Since there are two 15th Streets in Newport (from what we experienced) this was rather confusing.

When we arrived there was no parking near 15th street so we parked down near 11th and walked up the beach sidewalk. Towards 11th and 12th was much less crowded and just as beautiful. However, we didn't change into our swimsuits thinking there would be a place to change. Since there are none, we walked to those bathrooms you mentioned. They were disgusting! The women's restroom had only 2 clean stalls, and tp and garbage all over the ground. The men's restroom had no doors so my sons couldn't change. Note: Change into swimwear BEFORE you head to the beach. I had to hold a towel up for them to change.

After that we headed back towards 12th and found a nice, less-crowded area. At one point while the DH and I were tanning, and my son was playing at the shoreline, I saw fins in the water, just 30 feet or so out. Heart Attack! Thankfully, it was a pair of dolphins - So COOL!

Here is another tip: you can pay for the parking meters using the parking mobile app or via your phone. This was pretty convienent so you do not have to worry about a pocketful of quarters.

All in all we really enjoyed this beach, but I do wish Newport cleaned their bathrooms and maybe added some more.

Great Photos of Newport Beach I can't wait to go there when i travel to the USA in September

Thank you, pixarmom, for all the great Newport Beach info. My 20 year old daughter and I are coming out end of July and I have been thinking of staying in this area. My question is that just being the two of us, any tips or recommendations on where to stay? If it isn't directly the ocean front, we are ok, but would at least like a pool. Again, great info that I am most definitely going to use!!

I just saw this post, so I'm sure I'm too late! We usually rent a beach house, and they are often booked far in advance for the summer. But for hotels on the peninsula, we can really only recommend the Bay Shores Peninsula (excellent location, OK hotel and no pool.)

Thank you for this thread :) We went yesterday and I was hoping you could add a little more and I wanted to offer my two cents.

First off, directions for us non-locals would be great! I put 15th street intersection in on my TomTom and it took me to a really nice neighborhood near Newport Harbor HS. Luckily, you added the photo of the 15th Street Surf shop and I was able to look that up to redirect us. Since there are two 15th Streets in Newport (from what we experienced) this was rather confusing.

When we arrived there was no parking near 15th street so we parked down near 11th and walked up the beach sidewalk. Towards 11th and 12th was much less crowded and just as beautiful. However, we didn't change into our swimsuits thinking there would be a place to change. Since there are none, we walked to those bathrooms you mentioned. They were disgusting! The women's restroom had only 2 clean stalls, and tp and garbage all over the ground. The men's restroom had no doors so my sons couldn't change. Note: Change into swimwear BEFORE you head to the beach. I had to hold a towel up for them to change.

After that we headed back towards 12th and found a nice, less-crowded area. At one point while the DH and I were tanning, and my son was playing at the shoreline, I saw fins in the water, just 30 feet or so out. Heart Attack! Thankfully, it was a pair of dolphins - So COOL!

Here is another tip: you can pay for the parking meters using the parking mobile app or via your phone. This was pretty convienent so you do not have to worry about a pocketful of quarters.

All in all we really enjoyed this beach, but I do wish Newport cleaned their bathrooms and maybe added some more.

So glad you enjoyed Newport!!! Great tips on parking - we usually park near our beach house rental during the summer and walk, so your tip regarding the meters in the summer months is good to hear. As for directions, I usually put either our beach house address (not very helpful for day visitors) or Newport Elementary into my phone for directions.

Agreed on the 15th street bathrooms. Those are the not-so-clean ones and I always carry hand sanitizer because they do not have soap. Really sad to hear they were in such poor condition during your visit. I definitely agree that you should have your swimsuit on when you arrive!!! All good points - I've never been a day visitor to Newport, so the additional suggestions should be very helpful!

Thank you so much @pixarmom for all the info on Newport Beach. We are heading to DL this month and have planned a beach day. We have been undecided until now - Newport Beach it is!

I can't believe that I didn't post sooner about our Newport Beach visit. We went last month and experienced a lot of "June gloom" at all the beaches we saw, it was very chilly and no sun those 3 days but my daughter still got a sunburn (we put on sunscreen but the heavy cloud cover fooled us into not reapplying). Newport was cleaner than Huntington, and better waves we thought too. The bathroom wasn't great but it was definitely better than Seal Beach's :crazy2: We had great service renting items from 15th Street Surf Shop. We did see several dolphins at Newport too! Good thing it was dolphins and not sharks, they weren't too far from DS! ;) We enjoyed all the CA beaches, our favorite for exploring was Little Corona de Mar but for playing in the water it was definitely Newport. Huntington had more parking from what we saw but we got lucky with metered parking just on the other side of the surf shop. Seal beach seemed to have bigger waves but we were on the way to the airport so we didn't get out to play so I don't know how clean the sand was. Oh and we had better luck finding shells at Newport too.

I really want to thank pixarmom for her help and information on this thread!

Thank you so much @pixarmom for all the info on Newport Beach. We are heading to DL this month and have planned a beach day. We have been undecided until now - Newport Beach it is!

So glad you've decided to give it a try! Have a great time!!! :)

Hi pixarmom .... missing my favorite little beach town! :beach:

Hi Linda! Me too! Fortunately, we're back for 2.5 weeks next month and then for another week in January next year (love the off season!) Can't wait! Are you going back soon?

I can't believe that I didn't post sooner about our Newport Beach visit. We went last month and experienced a lot of "June gloom" at all the beaches we saw, it was very chilly and no sun those 3 days but my daughter still got a sunburn (we put on sunscreen but the heavy cloud cover fooled us into not reapplying). Newport was cleaner than Huntington, and better waves we thought too. The bathroom wasn't great but it was definitely better than Seal Beach's :crazy2: We had great service renting items from 15th Street Surf Shop. We did see several dolphins at Newport too! Good thing it was dolphins and not sharks, they weren't too far from DS! ;) We enjoyed all the CA beaches, our favorite for exploring was Little Corona de Mar but for playing in the water it was definitely Newport. Huntington had more parking from what we saw but we got lucky with metered parking just on the other side of the surf shop. Seal beach seemed to have bigger waves but we were on the way to the airport so we didn't get out to play so I don't know how clean the sand was. Oh and we had better luck finding shells at Newport too.

I really want to thank pixarmom for her help and information on this thread!

Thanks so much for your report!! So glad you enjoyed Newport and always happy to see visitors stopping by the 15th Street Surf Shop. Our January rental is just steps away from 15th Street, so we plan on lots of stops at the surf shop and snacks at the Stuft Surfer! Boo on that gloom - hope your next visit brings more sunny skies!

Thank you as well for this great thread!

I do have a question, and if I missed it above, I apologize.

We will be staying in the DLR area, but really want to take a day trip to Newport Beach--maybe visit Bilboa (sp?!?) Island and I know we want to go to Crystal Cove State Park. I'm trying to decide if we need a car rental for this trip as otherwise we will be at DLR the whole time. Is there public transport that we could take from DLR to Newport Beach and back, or would that be a real mess of transfers, etc., and we'd be better with a car??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!