Newport vs Santa Monica Again

FeistyDisneyMom

DIS Veteran
Our last trip (2019) we enjoyed a day at Santa Monica. This trip I am trying to decide between doing that again or trying out Newport beach. Any suggestions? My kids mainly need sand and water they can at least wade in. We will be traveling in early June (our beach day should be Monday 6/13), and kids are ages 5-15. We will have a 12-person sprinter van, so driving is not a problem but sometimes parking it is!

We love Manhattan beach. Always try to stop there for lunch or dinner on one of our traveling days. I don't know if I would even go back to Santa Monica again and its probably even worse now.

Check out Crystal Cove State beach park. http://www.crystalcovestatepark.org/ They have several paid parking lots and it's right next to Newport Beach. If you park in the lot near the historic cottages, you can either walk down to the beach or take a shuttle. There are beach equipment rentals on the beach there, as well as a couple places to eat.

This is a pretty isolated beach. I wouldn't recommend it for a tourist.

My recommendation with young kids is Corona Del Mar Beach in Newport. There will be no problem parking there in the paid lot. There is a bathroom and snack bar, and the water is usually gentle waves. There are tide pools on the far end that are fun for kids to explore.

Early June can be very gloomy, chilly weather, so that needs to be considered. Bring sweatshirts if you will be there in the morning hours.

Santa Monica...just...no. No. It's super gross.

Check out Crystal Cove State beach park. http://www.crystalcovestatepark.org/ They have several paid parking lots and it's right next to Newport Beach. If you park in the lot near the historic cottages, you can either walk down to the beach or take a shuttle. There are beach equipment rentals on the beach there, as well as a couple places to eat.
This looks really cute, but I think DH would prefer more of a pier setting. Will have to have him check it out and see.
My recommendation with young kids is Corona Del Mar Beach in Newport. There will be no problem parking there in the paid lot. There is a bathroom and snack bar, and the water is usually gentle waves. There are tide pools on the far end that are fun for kids to explore.
That sounds like what we are looking for!
Early June can be very gloomy, chilly weather, so that needs to be considered. Bring sweatshirts if you will be there in the morning hours.
Thank you for reminding me. We have been in June several times while living in the PNW, but not since moving to a much hotter Dallas area. I'll make sure we all go with layers!

Santa Monica...just...no. No. It's super gross.
Right?! And yet that is just what DH wanted to do last trip. We hit it up in March and it was so windy. The older kids and DH had a blast but I was a bit cranky and the youngest was too cold and flustered by the wind.

This looks really cute, but I think DH would prefer more of a pier setting. Will have to have him check it out and see.

That sounds like what we are looking for!

Thank you for reminding me. We have been in June several times while living in the PNW, but not since moving to a much hotter Dallas area. I'll make sure we all go with layers!

Right?! And yet that is just what DH wanted to do last trip. We hit it up in March and it was so windy. The older kids and DH had a blast but I was a bit cranky and the youngest was too cold and flustered by the wind.

If he is hell bent on a pier, go to Newport Main Beach. However, parking is a challenge. Corona del Mar is basically guaranteed parking if you show up before noon or so. Also, the pier is JUST a pier. Nothing fun on it.

How terrible is Monday morning traffic between Anaheim and Corona del Mar? We probably won't be super early risers, but should be able to leave the house by 9. We're staying about 15 minute walk from Disney.

How terrible is Monday morning traffic between Anaheim and Corona del Mar? We probably won't be super early risers, but should be able to leave the house by 9. We're staying about 15 minute walk from Disney.

Plan for an hour given that it will be summer. It's about 18 miles. But its not a straight shot there.

One more question about Newport beach... the family with us is flying out of SNA the same day as our beach day. Should they bother trying to come to the beach with us? Would it be safe to have their luggage in a rental car? Their flight departs at 2:55pm, so I am thinking they could do beach in the morning with us, and lunch together and then head to the airport, but if they have to go all the way back to DLR area first, I'm not sure it makes sense for them.

My vote is Santa Monica! It has everything: sand, water, activities, food. It's our favorite beach and we plan getaways based just on visiting that beach.

We didn't really care for Newport beach. Though our opinion might be skewed based on a whale watching tour that we did. All of us were practically passed out on the floor of the boat seasick because the driver was going super fast over the waves trying to chase dolphins. Never again!! haha

We've been to Laguna and thought it was beautiful but didn't really feel drawn back to it. We also went to Huntington and would not do that one again (it was too windy and too cold when we went in late May and not much to do).

OC beaches over LA beaches for sure, especially if you are staying in Anaheim. My/my kids favorites were/are Corona del Mar when they were younger and Newport as teens.

Just got back from our trip and wanted to return to say a big THANK YOU to @DLgal for the suggestions. Newport beach, and Corona del Mar in particular, was EXACTLY what my family wanted. The only minor downer was the cafe on the beach was closed. My cousin joined us for the day and had brought lots of snacks, and we ended up doing Baja Fish Tacos for dinner, which were scrumptious. The June gloom hung around until well after noon, but that just meant the beach was not crowded at all. Even as the day got sunnier and warmer, it didn't get very crowded. Parking was easy when we got there at 11:45am, and the restrooms were pretty clean and stocked with toilet paper.

I highly recommend Corona del Mar for families looking for some nice stretch of beach with reasonable waves and overall a good vibe, especially if you are going on a week day.

Just got back from our trip and wanted to return to say a big THANK YOU to @DLgal for the suggestions. Newport beach, and Corona del Mar in particular, was EXACTLY what my family wanted. The only minor downer was the cafe on the beach was closed. My cousin joined us for the day and had brought lots of snacks, and we ended up doing Baja Fish Tacos for dinner, which were scrumptious. The June gloom hung around until well after noon, but that just meant the beach was not crowded at all. Even as the day got sunnier and warmer, it didn't get very crowded. Parking was easy when we got there at 11:45am, and the restrooms were pretty clean and stocked with toilet paper.

I highly recommend Corona del Mar for families looking for some nice stretch of beach with reasonable waves and overall a good vibe, especially if you are going on a week day.
Glad to hear it! Bummer about the snack bar, but it sounds like it all worked out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter