News: Digital FastPass and Free Wifi Coming to Tokyo Disney Resort

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
https://tdrexplorer.com/digital-fastpass-tokyo-disney-resort/

Looks like digital Fastpass is coming to Tokyo Disney this summer. Sounds like it will be similar to the Maxpass system in effect at Disneyland (CA), which has been copied over to Shanghai Disney.

No word yet on if it will cost money or if/when the digital app will become available to people from outside Japan. (Though I did some google searches and figured out how to download it anyways...its just in Japanese, so I can't quite understand most of it!)

I'm curious if this change will cause the two parks to be put on one FP grid like the Maxpass introduction did for Anaheim. I can't see it costing extra in Tokyo given how the park doesn't seem to chase money the same way that the other parks do. Plus, show lotteries on your phone currently don't cost money.

I somehow don't see the app going globally available either. PhotoKeyCard and the Disney Store Club app aren't available outside Japan.

It's a shame that it's only in Japanese (for now). I got quite excited and thought it would be made available in Japanese and English!

Still, even if it's only in Japanese, that should still mean a (hopefully) much shorter wait in the Fast Pass line for Toy Story Mania (or rather Soaring) at DisneySea since all of the locals will be able to grab their Fast Passes on their phones. Unless they're all so quick and efficient that the Fast Passes run out before I can briskly walk to the paper Fast Pass machines.

I'm always disappointed that the first 45 to 60 minutes of my time in DisneySea is spent waiting in a line for a Fast Pass! Especially when that is the "golden hour" to walk-on Tower of Terror and Journey.

Wow I’m super excited about the free WiFi coming in May! Since we’re going in June it might be up and running smoothly when we get there. We have t-mobile so could use our data anyway but I was still planning on getting a mobile wifi device. I think we may skip that and try their WiFi. I’ll wait until it’s a little closer to decide.

As far as the FPS go, I’m thinking Dh and I will try getting the app in Japanese and trying it if the system is up by the time we go

I wonder how this will change things for guest staying on property with Happy 15.

It's a shame that it's only in Japanese (for now). I got quite excited and thought it would be made available in Japanese and English!

Still, even if it's only in Japanese, that should still mean a (hopefully) much shorter wait in the Fast Pass line for Toy Story Mania (or rather Soaring) at DisneySea since all of the locals will be able to grab their Fast Passes on their phones. Unless they're all so quick and efficient that the Fast Passes run out before I can briskly walk to the paper Fast Pass machines.

I'm always disappointed that the first 45 to 60 minutes of my time in DisneySea is spent waiting in a line for a Fast Pass! Especially when that is the "golden hour" to walk-on Tower of Terror and Journey.

Just skip TSM and save yourself the trouble.

I wonder how this will change things for guest staying on property with Happy 15.
It could work like Disneyland’s Maxpass (which was copied for Shanghai). Once you scan in at the turnstiles you can start booking FPs via the app even though the times don’t start until the actual park opens. So if you have early morning magic at Disneyland, you get an advance on booking FPs.

The show lottery function is currently restricted for use only by those who are physically in the park. FP will probably be the same so you will not be able to practice from home. Be careful about using the app if you don't understand the language as it won't be easy for you to figure out how to make changes or fix a mistake.

It remains unknown whether or not you will need to be logged in to acquire FP. If you do, that will render the service useless to foreign visitors as the only accounts that can log in are Japanese-language Disney accounts tied to Japanese addresses. (English-language accounts are not eligible, even if you booked your TDR package/resort with them.)

Basically, I would really not advise anyone to count on using the app unless/until an English version is released. Nothing wrong with downloading it if you really want to, though.

Last edited:
The show lottery function is currently restricted for use only by those who are physically in the park. FP will probably be the same so you will not be able to practice from home. Be careful about using the app if you don't understand the language as it won't be easy for you to figure out how to make changes or fix a mistake.

It remains unknown whether or not you will need to be logged in to acquire FP. If you do, that will render the service useless to foreign visitors as the only accounts that can log in are Japanese-language Disney accounts tied to Japanese addresses. (English-language accounts are not eligible, even if you booked your TDR package/resort with them.)

Basically, I would really not advise anyone to count on using the app unless/until an English version is released. Nothing wrong with downloading it if you really want to, though.
I can confirm it would be a bad idea on counting to use the app without an English version. I did download it to see wait times, park map, etc (I didn't like the other versions online). I do have an account to make dining reservations, but trying to sign-in on the app doesn't work due to the characters.

I just really really hope they come out with another version soon! It is weird how Tokyo is the one park without an app in different languages. I know it can be characterized as a locals park, but still, it is very annoying to me!

I can confirm it would be a bad idea on counting to use the app without an English version. I did download it to see wait times, park map, etc (I didn't like the other versions online). I do have an account to make dining reservations, but trying to sign-in on the app doesn't work due to the characters.

I just really really hope they come out with another version soon! It is weird how Tokyo is the one park without an app in different languages. I know it can be characterized as a locals park, but still, it is very annoying to me!

I'm sure that is because TDR isn't owned by Disney so they can do whatever they want. I'm fortunate that I'll be staying at DLH so I can make my dining reservations easier online but I feel for others who can't because there is no English version.
I went on the SDL and HKDL websites and they are exactly like the Disney sites here in the US. Definitely makes it easier.
I'm interested to know (if any of the regulars could say) just how many non-Japanese people visit the parks? Is it possible to spend a day at one of the parks and not see anyone else from another 'western' country?

I'm interested to know (if any of the regulars could say) just how many non-Japanese people visit the parks? Is it possible to spend a day at one of the parks and not see anyone else from another 'western' country?
Absolutely. But not all foreign tourists are Western, including the group of foreign tourists that many Japanese people would most like to avoid.

As for the chances of an English-language app... I guess it's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if they never do it. For various reasons, OLC doesn't give a rat's behind whether foreigners visit their parks or not. Some of these reasons are justified & some are simply because they don't want the trouble. Foreign tourists are risky.

Japanese Social Rule #1 - Follow the rules (posted rules, spoken rules, unspoken rules, cultural rules, etc) without question, even if they don't make sense or you don't like them.

Japanese Social Rule #2 - Never make trouble for or embarrass other people.

As a foreign tourist, how do you know what most of those rules are? You don't. And therein lies the rub. Nobody will judge you for that, and certainly they're going to be kind to you because they know you don't know better, but they also don't really want to deal with it. Thus, they're not going to make it super easy for foreigners to come & they will heavily prioritize locals in almost everything. Kind of like... "you can come, but stay in your lane" :laughing:

Here is an example. A while back, someone came to these boards very upset because the windows at MiraCosta cannot be opened more than a crack. She thought this rule was stupid. She wanted to know the reason for it, and sent multiple emails to the hotel asking why she couldn't open the windows. She then shared that she was relieved to have found a terrace room & no longer needed to break/jimmy the windows open as she had planned to. That is exactly, 100%, to the letter, the kind of behavior they expect from foreigners and that they don't want to be hassled by.

To be honest, as a foreigner, you could live here for 50 years & still not know all of the rules - though hopefully you would learn the language, which is 90% of the battle. The other 10% is a gap that can never be bridged. This country is no "melting pot" - it's "Japanese" & "not Japanese." TDR is a "Japanese" place & inclusivity is not a goal. It's no coincidence that Disney, a foreign company, has NO ownership stake in these parks. Just something to keep in mind the next time you wonder why OLC seems to hate you. They don't. They would just prefer you didn't bother them.

Is it possible to spend a day at one of the parks and not see anyone else from another 'western' country?

Depending upon when you visit, yes it is.

On our first few visits, we were often the only Westerners within sight at any time and maybe only saw the one or two obviously "foreign" tourists during the entire day (e.g. during a parade or when extremely large groups otherwise gather).

But, on our most recent visit which coincided with Cherry Blossom season, the Westerners were everywhere! You couldn't look anywhere without seeing numerous separate groups.

International tourism to Japan has skyrocketed in recent years, so it's becoming more difficult to fully immerse yourself in the country without hearing the ... dulcet tones of a Westerner speaking English or seeing some of them behave in an embarrassing manner (e.g. getting "loudly" disgruntled with a local worker because they don't speak English to the Westerner's liking). That's not to say that we're perfect tourists - we often eat (or at least drink) "on the go" (i.e. when walking) because we're rushing to get a lot done and, if we're unwell, we'll blow our noses in public. I'm sure there are other mistakes that we make as well without knowing that we're doing something wrong!

Depending upon when you visit, yes it is.

On our first few visits, we were often the only Westerners within sight at any time and maybe only saw the one or two obviously "foreign" tourists during the entire day (e.g. during a parade or when extremely large groups otherwise gather).

But, on our most recent visit which coincided with Cherry Blossom season, the Westerners were everywhere! You couldn't look anywhere without seeing numerous separate groups.

International tourism to Japan has skyrocketed in recent years, so it's becoming more difficult to fully immerse yourself in the country without hearing the ... dulcet tones of a Westerner speaking English or seeing some of them behave in an embarrassing manner (e.g. getting "loudly" disgruntled with a local worker because they don't speak English to the Westerner's liking). That's not to say that we're perfect tourists - we often eat (or at least drink) "on the go" (i.e. when walking) because we're rushing to get a lot done and, if we're unwell, we'll blow our noses in public. I'm sure there are other mistakes that we make as well without knowing that we're doing something wrong!
I actually can’t wait to see what it’s gonna be like when we’re there. I do think there’s been a large influx of westerners visiting tdr due to vlogs. There are so many westerners making vlogs and I know quite a few people on the dis from the states going to tdr or planning a trip.

I see a good number of people from Hong Kong in the parks but on some days, I don't see a single Westerner. Other Asians also aren't that common.

Some of the restriction is cultural: A lot of Japanese websites and other shopping things won't let you give them money if you can't read Japanese and don't have a Japanese phone number, Japanese address, legal name in Kanji and Japanese credit card. But the US is equally closed minded sometimes. Turbotax doesn't let you enter a phone number in a non-US format even if you've already said you are currently not living in the US but need to file US taxes.

Last Christmas, I was at DisneySea waiting at a for them to open up a viewing area for Colors of Christmas. A woman arrived shortly after to wait behind me. In the rush to the viewing area she ended up to my left in the second row (the center was to our left). After the show, she apologized to me for getting a better spot despite arriving later. I was actually taken aback and confused because my spot was excellent and I didn't even think anything of it.

Compare to a couple months earlier. I was waiting for Together Forever at DLR. A couple walking along the path between the viewing area and the castle ducked under the rope to get a front row spot and no CM stopped them. A few people said harsh words to them but they just shook it off. Later during Fantasmic, a couple of girls ducked under the rope to sneak into the FP section.

Some rule breaking is also unintentional. I've seen a lot of foreigners go into a quick service restaurant and immediately try to save spots at a table. While this is necessary in other parks, in TDR, they don't let people into a restaurant if there's not enough tables so you're supposed to get your food before you find a table (or a CM will help you find one). But this rule breaking still creates inconvenience and extra work for CMs.

I understand the frustration but I also think it's good not to be too entitled. I rarely see Japanese people to to the US parks and complain that they don't have signs in Japanese so I don't think it's fair to expect everything in TDR to be in English either. The address/phone number restriction is a bit more troublesome but in my opinion, it's less of a hurdle than needing to book on-site to get Flight of Passage FP at WDW.

I actually can’t wait to see what it’s gonna be like when we’re there. I do think there’s been a large influx of westerners visiting tdr due to vlogs. There are so many westerners making vlogs and I know quite a few people on the dis from the states going to tdr or planning a trip.
Vlogging is an example of something that it’s fine to do in other countries (& that they have come to expect foreigners to do) but that Japanese people themselves generally do not do and often find annoying. It’s considered highly rude & a violation of privacy to post someone else’s unblurred face online without their permission and that happens by default when you vlog in a public place. YouTubers know this but they will never acknowledge it because they want to keep the $$$$$ rolling in.

Vlogging is an example of something that it’s fine to do in other countries (& that they have come to expect foreigners to do) but that Japanese people themselves generally do not do and often find annoying. It’s considered highly rude & a violation of privacy to post someone else’s unblurred face online without their permission and that happens by default when you vlog in a public place. YouTubers know this but they will never acknowledge it because they want to keep the $$$$$ rolling in.

I've noticed that my favorite Japanese Disney youtubers try to find a corner of a restaurant or other wall behind them while Western youtubers like to have the open area as their background. Japanese youtubers also tend to use high angles so you'd be looking down at them while Western youtubers tend to hold the camera directly in front. I never though about hiding faces but I guess that could be part of the reason for this style. The Japanese do vlog but in a far more discreet manner.

I've noticed that my favorite Japanese Disney youtubers try to find a corner of a restaurant or other wall behind them while Western youtubers like to have the open area as their background. Japanese youtubers also tend to use high angles so you'd be looking down at them while Western youtubers tend to hold the camera directly in front. I never though about hiding faces but I guess that could be part of the reason for this style. The Japanese do vlog but in a far more discreet manner.
Exactly this. It’s not “vlogging” the way most people would think of it. It’s really discreet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter