Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

I "downgraded" my son to the Flex. He still has 392 days remaining as of today. Was able to take him all Memorial weekend which I couldnt have done with the deluxe. Plus taking him on our Star Wars weekend June 22 and 23. I'm loving this pass right now. Unfortunately my wife was renewed month before flex was announced. Going to have to upgrade her to Signature
When you downgraded, it gave you longer than a year? Did it let you keep the dates you already had as a Deluxe?

My husband's Deluxe expires in September. By your post it looks like if we "downgrade" in June, his new pass will be good until June next year?

What the flex AP will not give you, we have found out so far, is discounts on souvenir sippers or popcorn buckets. We now have Dumbo attached to Casey Jr., but at full price. You can find the Dumbo sipper at the cart in front of the Casey Junior ride, but you need to go down to the cart in front of Edelweiss Snacks to get the Casey Jr bucket. Each is $17.66.

These items are not discounted for any APs. The merchandise discounts do not apply to all items and the food discounts are also not at all locations. The carts are one of the locations that don't have any AP discounts.

Just thought I would pass along my experience getting the Flex Pass. I couldn't print the confirmation email, but a ticket booth CM was still able to scan the QR codes for DW and I off my phone. They look just like regular APs.

Be sure to request your pass to be updated to date of first use, though. I was persistent with the CM about that. Otherwise your passes print out good ONLY from your date of purchase. So you have to renew by the day before that date next year.

With the card, we have already been able to ride HM and the monorail and get dinner at Earl of Sandwich (NOTE: The restaurant does NOT need to scan your AP and will give you 15, not 10, percent off your order!).

What the flex AP will not give you, we have found out so far, is discounts on souvenir sippers or popcorn buckets. We now have Dumbo attached to Casey Jr., but at full price. You can find the Dumbo sipper at the cart in front of the Casey Junior ride, but you need to go down to the cart in front of Edelweiss Snacks to get the Casey Jr bucket. Each is $17.66.

Anyone else feel free to ask if you have questions. Hitting up Space Mtn. this morning. Loving it!
Re: Earl of Sandwich

This is not a Disney owned/operated location. In DTD the non Disney owned/operated vendors determine what/if any AP discount they are going to offer and the amount is the same regardless of type of AP (Sig, Flex, Deluxe, etc.)

Popcorn and the drink stands are considered ODV. A handful of the ODV carts do give CM discounts, but none give AP discounts.

When you downgraded, it gave you longer than a year? Did it let you keep the dates you already had as a Deluxe?

My husband's Deluxe expires in September. By your post it looks like if we "downgrade" in June, his new pass will be good until June next year?

Even though there is no renewal discount anymore, you can still renew while your current pass is active. It used to be that you could do this up to 40 days before the expiration date of your pass. I don't know if it's still 40 days or if that part has changed. If you "renew" to a higher level pass, the new pass benefits don't start until you pass your official renewal date. This always seemed fair to me. What seemed unfair and was a source of frustration to some was that if you renewed to a lower level pass, you were immediately downgraded to the lower level pass. A downgrade to the flex pass may actually be a case though that some prefer with the current state of the blockout calendar.

... What the flex AP will not give you, we have found out so far, is discounts on souvenir sippers or popcorn buckets. We now have Dumbo attached to Casey Jr., but at full price...
This is true for all APs. ODV carts usually do not give an AP discount. For the sippers, if a sipper is sold at different kinds of locations, e.g. the Mickey 90th sipper, some CS locations will give an AP discount. For example, in DCA, Mortimer's Fruit Stand and Clarabelle's Ice Cream do not give a discount, but Smokejumper's does.

Even though there is no renewal discount anymore, you can still renew while your current pass is active. It used to be that you could do this up to 40 days before the expiration date of your pass. I don't know if it's still 40 days or if that part has changed...
I believe the 40 day window is still in place.

Just got off from chat regarding the AP. You are able to purchase and make a reservation ahead of time but the first day of use does not start until the day you enter the park.
We have two trips planned to Disneyland over the next year and the new annual pass flex seems like it might save us a few dollars. Does anyone know if you can make reservations with it before you activate the pass/first time you use it in the parks?
The above quote (post #211, page 11) from earlier in this thread should answer your question.

I wonder if they’ll let current Deluxe passholders switch to this one.

The hotels have SO MUCH AVAILABILITY this summer. And I don’t personally know a single Deluxe or SoCal passholder who renewed. They all let their passes lapse. This option definitely speaks to some concern on Disney’s part...

They could do what they do in Disneyland Paris. No matter what annual pass you have if you are staying on site, your black outs are lifted automatically. That would probably boost reservations for the hotels

One thing I don't like about the reservation system is you have to do each day separate. So it takes a little more time to do them but so far the two dates I wanted worked out. After June we don't plan on going until September for Halloween time.

Hi All, I'm thinking about making DLR my main vacation place in 2020, doing a few trips at different times in the year. I live in Vancouver, Canada and the flex pass seems like a good AP option.

Question- I see that you need to reserve certain dates in advance. Are these ever completely booked or unavailable if trying to reserve 30 days out? I'd likely be flying down to visit, so I'm just wary of situations where I may be blocked out or unable to obtain a reservation.

Hi All, I'm thinking about making DLR my main vacation place in 2020, doing a few trips at different times in the year. I live in Vancouver, Canada and the flex pass seems like a good AP option.

Question- I see that you need to reserve certain dates in advance. Are these ever completely booked or unavailable if trying to reserve 30 days out? I'd likely be flying down to visit, so I'm just wary of situations where I may be blocked out or unable to obtain a reservation.

That question is unknown at this time. I don't believe a lot of people have purchased this pass yet so everyday I see is available. If it gets more popular there might be days that fill. I believe thought that if you are on the computer or app 30 days prior right at 7AM then I think you will be ok. Just remember you can only hold two reservations in a 30 day period. We are going in June, September, December, and January so far and I think we will get great usage out of it.

I agree with PP that we just don't know yet. This pass has only been on sale for barely more than two weeks so while I don't think any days have filled up yet that may not be a reflection of how things look a few months down the road.

I agree with PP that we just don't know yet. This pass has only been on sale for barely more than two weeks so while I don't think any days have filled up yet that may not be a reflection of how things look a few months down the road.

Oh thanks, I didn't realize it was so new. :)

Are there any updates as to how hard it has been so far to get a reservation 30 days out? And is there any advantage to people staying on property?

Are there any updates as to how hard it has been so far to get a reservation 30 days out? And is there any advantage to people staying on property?
You can actually see the reservation availability on the AP blockout calendar. I think every day is available thus far. We plan to upgrade to these in July! :)

As mentioned you can check the calendar online without purchasing. SWGE official opening day and July 4th are still available so doesn’t seem to be an issue thus far. But really it’s still very new.

As mentioned you can check the calendar online without purchasing. SWGE official opening day and July 4th are still available so doesn’t seem to be an issue thus far. But really it’s still very new.
It’s still super new. I have a co worker who upgraded to this pass last weekend and the cm commented that they haven’t processed that many yet.

We haven’t had any issues getting reservations yet, but these passes have been on sale for less than two weeks. Time will tell if reservations become more difficult to get. There is no advantage to people staying on property above or beyond what any other AP holder receives for staying on property (discounts on room rates certain times of year and discounts on dining).

is something happening on Wednesday July 10th? I just looked at the Flex calendar to see what it is like and saw that was the only day closed for reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter