News Round Up 2018

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by rteetz, Dec 31, 2017.

1. DisneyLiz20

DisneyLiz20 Earning My Ears

I loved flights of wonder

2. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Walt Disney World is proud to unveil the all new Monorail Crimson!

gberg, MamaBelle4, MommaBerd and 6 others like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Q-man

Q-man DIS Veteran

I see a red train and want to paint it black./Stones.

tcufrog, Ariel484, MommaBerd and 10 others like this.
  5. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

6. jlundeen

jlundeen Mickey Fanatic

I love how they draw in about a dozen folks hanging out around the platform.... real life would be so many folks lined you, you probably couldn't even see the platform.... ha ha

Do we know how many people they think these will be able to accomodate at any given time? Seems like pretty longs lines would form pretty quickly if the cars only hold maybe 5-10 folks each.

7. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

Each gondola will hold 8-10. It really depends how quickly they plan to dispatch a gondola to know capacity numbers. While there could be a line at certain times I can’t see it being any worse than waiting for a monorail. This theoretically should be better than that since it’s constantly moving and landing where as a monorail isn’t.

8. Tigger's ally

Tigger's ally Segway test dummy

Thing is though, there are cars coming all the time. Figure a bus comes every 10 minute to any hotel and 50 people get on a bus. With two gondolas per minute at an average of 7 per gondola then in the same amount of time you would get 140 people on board.

writerguyfl likes this.
  9. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I am sure in the mornings there will be crowds to get to park openings, but other times it shouldn't be too bad as it is continually loading. plus, there is the bridge there that I am sure they can stretch the line on to when needed so probably don't need as much waiting space actually in/next to the station

MissGina5 and umichigan10 like this.
  10. Gusey

Gusey Mouseketeer

Very cool shape, thinks it fits both hotel themes :) Also, interesting to note the skyliner poster is no longer in the gallery at the Festival of the Arts, seems a bit odd.

BigRed98 and rteetz like this.
  11. rteetz

BigRed98 likes this.
  12. AMusicLifeForMe

AMusicLifeForMe DIS Veteran

News

Disney's Animal Kingdom Celebrates Hippo Birth!

Tuma (name of the hippo) gave birth to the first hippo born at the park in 13 years last night at around 10 p.m.

Source: Disney Parks Blog Article!

osully, BigRed98, afan and 9 others like this.
  13. Q-man

Q-man DIS Veteran

Doppelmayr has quoted capacity as being 3K/hr. 8 riders per car(capacity) leaving every 8 seconds(stated departure rate) is 3,600/hr. So, the quoted 3000 hourly rate is 80% of full capacity.

A bus holds ~50 people and a full one would have to depart every minute to reach 3000/hr. Thus conversely the gondola system can move a full bus load of people every 60 seconds or less. Or a full capacity monorail train worth of people(360) every 7 minutes.

Unless there is an issue then end of the day crowd is the only time you'll see any significant line.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  14. TomServo27

TomServo27 Mouseketeer

So since the skyliner is servicing four hotels to two parks. The bus system if a bus arrives every 10 minutes for each park at each resort would be 8 busses every ten minutes. Which would be 2400 people an hour. So if the skyliner can hit that 3000 seems like it would be be pretty effective. If my calculations are correct.

15. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

Which is the case of any form of non-walking form of transport at the end of the night or after fireworks.

writerguyfl, Q-man and koala1966 like this.
  16. rteetz

17. rteetz

18. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

And the skyliner will be faster than just about every mode of transportation out of the parks at that time. I think they only thing that has similar or higher hourly capacity is the TTC to MK ferries when all 3 are in operation since they hold about 600 people each.

rteetz likes this.
  19. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Plus it should "feel" faster as it is continually loading so even if in a long line you will be moving all the time vs being in a mob of people and not moving for many minutes at a time waiting for the next monorail or ferry

TexasKiwiPrincess and rteetz like this.
  20. skier_pete

skier_pete DIsney-holics Anon

And when have you seen a bus arrive every 10 minutes?

21. vacationer1954

vacationer1954 DIS Veteran

And of course buses are subject to the effects of traffic while I hope we can expect that, once you board a skyliner, your trip to your destination will take a pretty reliable amount of time.