News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
News

Bob Iger suffers a pay drop

https://t.co/yUPOMZmwIw?amp=1

Oh no...I hope he's ok :\

Plus it should "feel" faster as it is continually loading so even if in a long line you will be moving all the time vs being in a mob of people and not moving for many minutes at a time waiting for the next monorail or ferry

I hope so. The line for the People Mover usually goes pretty quick, barring technical issues. I'm still so curious if the transportation ideas for the original plans for EPCOT would have worked.

It appears regular Mickey (sorry gonna ruin the magic here) has two Mickeys (rotation for breaks and such). Two photopass photographers and two attendants. One for each Mickey.

Talking Mickey has that plus about four more people behind the scenes.

So 4 people at 4 sites, you get 16 extra people. Say the park is open 9 to 9. You are talking somewhere between $1.5 and 2k a day in savings. I don't know, didn't they just tout that profits are up at WDW? Do they really need the cost savings like this?

In discussing the Skyliner and capacity/numbers - are they factoring in strollers? ECV? I know for buses, strollers have to be childless and folded before boarding but new parents or ones not familiar with rental strollers I have seen hold up boarding 5-7 mins at times - and the ECV can be longer if the "driver" is not skilled with parallel parking. Obviously all part of the resort transportation experience but a constantly moving/loading gondola - not sure if this was discussed and just curious. POP is my typical resort so interested to see how this all factors in.

In discussing the Skyliner and capacity/numbers - are they factoring in strollers? ECV? I know for buses, strollers have to be childless and folded before boarding but new parents or ones not familiar with rental strollers I have seen hold up boarding 5-7 mins at times - and the ECV can be longer if the "driver" is not skilled with parallel parking. Obviously all part of the resort transportation experience but a constantly moving/loading gondola - not sure if this was discussed and just curious. POP is my typical resort so interested to see how this all factors in.

It's been discussed - though no one knows for certain the process. They did say that the Gondola's will be able to handle strollers and ECVs and my understanding is they will not need to be folded up (just would not be able to hold as many people than if there weren't any. As for the loading process, with these godolas they can be "detached" from the line at the loading station making it much easier to load - but until we see it in operation we won't know for sure the impact.

My guess is that unless there is an issue (like a bad ECV driver hits the door or something) the impact should be negligible - but we shall see

It's been discussed - though no one knows for certain the process. They did say that the Gondola's will be able to handle strollers and ECVs and my understanding is they will not need to be folded up (just would not be able to hold as many people than if there weren't any. As for the loading process, with these godolas they can be "detached" from the line at the loading station making it much easier to load - but until we see it in operation we won't know for sure the impact.

My guess is that unless there is an issue (like a bad ECV driver hits the door or something) the impact should be negligible - but we shall see
I guess with anything that is true, we will have to see. But based on what I see with most ECV drivers its not promising LOL

I have a hard time picturing this going smoothly on a continuously loading system... but what do I know?! :)

We definitely shall see - and I am sure like a lot of things there will be some growing pains. BUT while the technology is new to Walt Disney World it isn't that new around the world and they use them at ski resorts where people have to get on carrying all their equipment and in ski boots, etc. Guess I am saying, I am sure there will be some hiccups but I think overall it will work smoother than some people may fear

I think that's why they mention some can be detached and stopped.
I suppose I just can’t picture it — there would be a fair bit of demand for these being detached and stopped with the number of ECVs in WDW (if that’s what’s needed to get them on)... and if you’d have to stop the ones for strollers too, seems like a lot. I wonder how that looks/works in practice.

I think we’d wait to hear how it was going in practice before opting to use this over something else.

I have no idea if it will work the same, but this past summer we went to Bush Gardens Williamsburg and they have a sky ride and at the stations the cars detach to a separate rail and the workers hold the car completely still/steady wile people get on and then they bring the car back to a waiting spot and then when the timing is right (to keep the spacing) the car slides down off the separate rail onto the wire and then starts the journey. So I am sure something similar could be used and worst case scenario if someone is taking longer than expected with an ECV or something they miss that "timing spot" and wait for the next

We definitely shall see - and I am sure like a lot of things there will be some growing pains. BUT while the technology is new to Walt Disney World it isn't that new around the world and they use them at ski resorts where people have to get on carrying all their equipment and in ski boots, etc. Guess I am saying, I am sure there will be some hiccups but I think overall it will work smoother than some people may fear
I don’t see skiers getting in with equipment as comparable to loading ECVs and strollers. Especiallly seeing how that often goes on monorails, boats and buses in WDW. :)

Hope it goes smoothly, but I’ve not personally seen a comparable, so it’s a little difficult for me to picture.

I suppose I just can’t picture it — there would be a fair bit of demand for these being detached and stopped with the number of ECVs in WDW (if that’s what’s needed to get them on)... and if you’d have to stop the ones for strollers too, seems like a lot. I wonder how that looks/works in practice.

I think we’d wait to hear how it was going in practice before opting to use this over something else.

I don't think you'd have to stop for strollers. They're not sailing by at 15 mph, they come to an absolute crawl. I've watched people dash with strollers onto a monorail car so I'm pretty sure they can up the difficulty a touch.

I have no idea if it will work the same, but this past summer we went to Bush Gardens Williamsburg and they have a sky ride and at the stations the cars detach to a separate rail and the workers hold the car completely still/steady wile people get on and then they bring the car back to a waiting spot and then when the timing is right (to keep the spacing) the car slides down off the separate rail onto the wire and then starts the journey. So I am sure something similar could be used and worst case scenario if someone is taking longer than expected with an ECV or something they miss that "timing spot" and wait for the next

This is what I imagine too. I know people are skeptical but this isn't brand new, these vehicles operate all over the world. There's likely many scenarios that have the process broken down into tasks to be sure it can be completed before even considering to build these. With this being a high-profile project, they will need to put a lot more effort into training the CMs who work the platforms to be sure everything goes smoothly.

I'm not an expert but in a lot of systems I have seen, the cars can be off the line for a decent amount of time - often you are waiting in your car while one or two are ahead of you waiting for the timing to get back onto the rope (almost like how there are planes waiting in line to get onto the runway) so even if someone needs a bit of extra time for an ECV or something I think it will work ok

I don’t see skiers getting in with equipment as comparable to loading ECVs and strollers. Especiallly seeing how that often goes on monorails, boats and buses in WDW. :)

Hope it goes smoothly, but I’ve not personally seen a comparable, so it’s a little difficult for me to picture.
Yea my hopes aren't high given how many ECV there are to load and how long that tends to take - although pulling into the gondola and just being strapped in not having to parallel may help a ton.

It would make a quick run back to the room when you forgot something easier, you know the thing will/should still be running every 15 secs or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter