News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
New attractions may equate to more guests in the parks. New resorts may not equate to more guests in the parks. The difference is that a new resort may entice more people to stay at a Disney hotel rather than off property for their WDW trip.

This is what I was thinking. It doesn't necessarily mean more people in the parks. Disney has sort of discovered that they have a limited number of deluxe guests - which is why they have converted a lot of their deluxe hotel rooms to DVC rooms - so I think they are mostly looking at DVC offerings.

Coronado Tower - Expands moderate offerings to make up for the ones taken out from CBR. (See next line.)
Riviera - They actually took OUT 600 moderate rooms (9 building with 64 rooms each = 576 rooms) and replacing them with rumored to be about the same number of rooms (600) though some will hold 8.
Star Wars Resort - I think this isn't relative to the expansion of the people on site. This will be a 2 night style specialty resort with likely a very limited number of rooms (50 - 100 probably?).
Epcot Resort - Little is known yet - though I think it's more likely to be a Deluxe/DVC resort than anything else. Too early to tell. Probably a limited number of rooms, though.
Ft. Wilderness site - Again likely a DVC location if this even happens.

My thinking is that Disney's current predilection for fleecing their customers wallets will come back to bite them in the posterior down the road.k.

What's odd is that this discussion has been going on since I joined the boards in 2006. "At some point Disney will pay for their greed." So far they've only paid by increasing profits and attendance. They keep adding more very expensive extras and people flock to them. And this isn't with them yet opening the most anticipated thing at WDW probably since Epcot. (I don't remember people being as excited by DAK or DS/MGM when they opened.) So, I stay off the "Disney is going to get bit by treating the guests worse." It keeps happening and we keep coming back.

The rapid expansion of high end hotels is an interesting move as it seems to speak of Disney's confidence in the US economy as a whole. Many well informed and respected economic minds have shared bubble fears of late. Disney seems to be banking on the overall health of the nation at this time and in the years to come. The last bubble burst hit tourism hard, Disney included. Another burst would slash occupancy rates but this time with a greater raw number impact. Interesting to see the faith they have and the strong decision to move forward boldly. I hope the boldness continues past Star Wars and even more into to the parks for the 50th!

With changes in extra magic hours, perks, etc. I’m curious what their next play for room reservations will be.

@bbmassey great point, they have to have a lot of confidence in economic growth/sustainability.

The rapid expansion of high end hotels is an interesting move as it seems to speak of Disney's confidence in the US economy as a whole. Many well informed and respected economic minds have shared bubble fears of late. Disney seems to be banking on the overall health of the nation at this time and in the years to come. The last bubble burst hit tourism hard, Disney included. Another burst would slash occupancy rates but this time with a greater raw number impact. Interesting to see the faith they have and the strong decision to move forward boldly. I hope the boldness continues past Star Wars and even more into to the parks for the 50th!

Disney is beholden to share holders. Even if they feel that the economy has potential for softening, they are unlikely to take that stance as it would have a negative impact on stocks. You are right that expansion like this usually means positivity, but we all know that they will halt construction in a second - anyone stayed at Pop Century "Legendary Years"? If the economy goes south in the next year, they can pull the Epcot hotel with little fanfare and even the Star Wars resort. Coronado and Riviera are too far along.

So this place is just a knock off of WDW? Even the pirate ride looked very similar to WDW version.
I was talking about Stitch being added back to World of Disney...

As for Europa it does have some similar things to Disney yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!