News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep I hope Disney lets them win. At this point I don't think it is worth it. We could see a lot of cuts throughout the Disney company (Parks, and studios) if it happens.
Comcast could use the content potentially for a third park. I feel like Disney already has plenty they can use for their streaming service (which is their supposed motivation) where this becomes a foolish investment

Comcast could use the content potentially for a third park. I feel like Disney already has plenty they can use for their streaming service (which is their supposed motivation) where this becomes a foolish investment
If Comcast has to load the debt boat to buy Fox, they will be hard pressed to scrape together another $15-$20B to build a third park any time soon.

Thank you for doing the responsible and respectful thing and leaving them at home. I know it's going to suck when I have kids, but if I can't afford to have someone watch them for me, then I just won't get to see the movie I want to in theaters. I can't believe how many people treat a movie theater like it's their personal living room.

We bring our son, but he's 12.

I mean, obviously we would bring them to like Incredibles II (in that specific case we went to the Drive In) but if we don't think the movie is appropriate for them and/or they wont' sit for it we aren't going to bring them

Sometimes we got to a theater near us called the Alamo Draft House which has a rule that no kids are allowed except for certain early showings of family movies (they also don't allow any talking or being on your cell phone - you get one warning and then kicked out with no refund)

We mostly do Alamo too. We have warned him that if he talks, we will personally kick him out ourselves, while we finish watching the movie:rotfl2: He thinks we're serious. We are serious about removing him, but we wouldn't leave him out in the lobby by himself, at least I don't think we would:scratchin

Drafthouse is the best. Though all of the ones I've been to allow kids (Austin/Kansas City/Dallas)

I think the kid limit at Alamo for early shows is 6 years old. There really isn't a limit for kids that are older than that. We took our son to see a night showing of Shape of Water, which is R, and he loved it. He kept talking about how beautiful it was.

I can't wait to be at TSL in less than 2 weeks!!! I'm really excited to try some of the food offerings, and get a couple of the merchandise items. I'm a big Toy Story fan. Do we have any prices on any of the TSL merchandise yet? I'm eyeing the pins (of course) and the light-up Slinky Dog.
No pricing as of yet and likely not until it opens.

Would it really be that much for a third park? That blows my mind
Pandora alone cost at least $500 million. One restaurant, 2 rides, some nice theme work in a few acres. All rest of the park infrastructure was already there. Parking lots, ticket booths, entrance and exits, restaurants, souvenir shops, transit, etc. Estimate for SW:GE is about $1B. Again, 2 rides, one quick serve and some very nice theme work.

Maybe you get away with $5-10B if you build something like DHS or AK at opening. Skimping on the rides saves more money than skimping on theme. Animal Kingdom, which opened with just a few rides and basically a lot of theme work, cost $1B 20 years ago. That's at least $1.5B today. EPCOT was around $1B in 1983, that's over $2.5B today. Expedition Everest alone was $100 million 15 years ago.

I'm probably high on that $15-$20B, but a decent, immersive, modern Park from scratch to compete in Orlando? Easily $5-$10B. You need 2 or 3 SW/Pandora type areas. Probably 2 or 3 more TSL or NFL type areas. Parking, transit, entrance work, a few nice restaurants. It adds up quick.

Pandora alone cost at least $500 million. One restaurant, 2 rides, some nice theme work in a few acres. All rest of the park infrastructure was already there. Parking lots, ticket booths, entrance and exits, restaurants, souvenir shops, transit, etc. Estimate for SW:GE is about $1B. Again, 2 rides, one quick serve and some very nice theme work.

Maybe you get away with $5-10B if you build something like DHS or AK at opening. Skimping on the rides saves more money than skimping on theme. Animal Kingdom, which opened with just a few rides and basically a lot of theme work, cost $1B 20 years ago. That's at least $1.5B today. EPCOT was around $1B in 1983, that's over $2.5B today. Expedition Everest alone was $100 million 15 years ago.

I'm probably high on that $15-$20B, but a decent, immersive, modern Park from scratch to compete in Orlando? Easily $5-$10B. You need 2 or 3 SW/Pandora type areas. Probably 2 or 3 more TSL or NFL type areas. Parking, transit, entrance work, a few nice restaurants. It adds up quick.
Yeah I can definitely see 10 bill for a new park, but putting pandora in context definitely gives an idea of cost.

For reference how much did Shanghai Disneyland cost (though I know there was hotels and such added to that cost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!