News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pandora alone cost at least $500 million. One restaurant, 2 rides, some nice theme work in a few acres. All rest of the park infrastructure was already there. Parking lots, ticket booths, entrance and exits, restaurants, souvenir shops, transit, etc. Estimate for SW:GE is about $1B. Again, 2 rides, one quick serve and some very nice theme work.

Maybe you get away with $5-10B if you build something like DHS or AK at opening. Skimping on the rides saves more money than skimping on theme. Animal Kingdom, which opened with just a few rides and basically a lot of theme work, cost $1B 20 years ago. That's at least $1.5B today. EPCOT was around $1B in 1983, that's over $2.5B today. Expedition Everest alone was $100 million 15 years ago.

I'm probably high on that $15-$20B, but a decent, immersive, modern Park from scratch to compete in Orlando? Easily $5-$10B. You need 2 or 3 SW/Pandora type areas. Probably 2 or 3 more TSL or NFL type areas. Parking, transit, entrance work, a few nice restaurants. It adds up quick.
Pandora was over $500 million. SWGE has quick and table service dining.

Shanghai was a $6 billion park.

I think to wrap up this tangent that 10 billion is definitely a safe estimate for a new Orlando park (with plenty of possibility of exceeding that)

I think to wrap up this tangent that 10 billion is definitely a safe estimate for a new Orlando park (with plenty of possibility of exceeding that)

Eh. The more I look into it, the more I think that's close to the top end. The government may throw around $1B like it's a small number, but it buys a lot of construction. I'm guessing it would floor at $5B for something close to DHS at opening and you could build one whopper of a park for close to $10B, depending on how you define "park". Throw a few hotels in, some innovative transportation and you could go higher.

But the park itself? $1B for the general infrastructure and 4 SW:GE type areas would be nicer than DHS was at opening and about $5B. Add 2 TSL/NFL type lands to that and you are sitting in the $6-$7B range with a darn nice park. Not MK sized, but 4-5 E attractions, 4-6 C/D and 3-4 Bs scattered around. Something like that would be really nice.

Disney Tokyo Sea was about $3.3 billion wasn't it?
In 2001. You need to multiply by 1.5 for inflation, assuming the exchange rate was in that 100 yen to 1$ ratio. Looking at my Bloomberg, it was closer to 130 yen to the dollar, so you'd probably need to multiply again .7. You'd end up in that $3.5B area in today's dollars.

In 2001. You need to multiply by 1.5 for inflation, assuming the exchange rate was in that 100 yen to 1$ ratio. Looking at my Bloomberg, it was closer to 130 yen to the dollar, so you'd probably need to multiply again .7. You'd end up in that $3.5B area in today's dollars.
And DisneySea is arguably the highest quality park Disney has ever built.

And DisneySea is arguably the highest quality park Disney has ever built.
Yeah. I had to correct my numbers. Dollars bought more Yen back then than now. So it actually wasn't that bad in those days. The exchange rate today would make it about 30% more expensive. The inflation figure also doesn't translate well. I'd have to think about how to properly convert it as my numbers above weren't right the first time and the more I think about it, aren't right now. Anyway, DisneySea was expensive but you got a lot for it.

I don't think Comcast would go that big for a third park. If they buy Fox for $80B or more, I just don't see them scraping up the money anytime soon. But who knows? Brian Roberts is known for spending big...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter