News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
This exactly right, though actually the main street theater is a "smarter" play for them. Cost is relatively low and it will EAT bodies (up to 2000 per show) for an hour or more. Tron will also increase park capacity but may also attract more people, so not as good,

Yep exactly. Doubtful many guests will go to MK because of the theater-but will for Tron. But I'm good with it, should be awesome-busier or not.

I'm actually hoping once Tron goes up they will finally take Space down and redo it. That thing is painful. Plus it would be nice if they would make it more flexible so they can do all the fun themed stuff they do in DL. But regardless, Space needs to just be shut down for a year or two and completely redone. With Tron, I hope they feel comfortable doing so.
First thing I hope they change on space is the location of the ride photo.

I'm actually hoping once Tron goes up they will finally take Space down and redo it. That thing is painful. Plus it would be nice if they would make it more flexible so they can do all the fun themed stuff they do in DL. But regardless, Space needs to just be shut down for a year or two and completely redone. With Tron, I hope they feel comfortable doing so.

Space is unique. I get that some people find it painful. For me it's my favorite coaster in WDW other than Everest. I was extremely disappointed in DL's version. Yes, it is smoother, but it's just very boring to me. WDW doesn't do thrills very well. But the quick drops and fear of getting your head cut off provide a different kind of fun and thrill you can't really find anywhere else. Since a redo isn't going to turn it into a world class coaster that thrill seekers flock to, I'd rather keep it as it is now. I'm sure it will be replaced eventually but I hope it's still a ways down the road. Maybe they can redo one side and keep the other side as "Space Mountain Classic."

Space is unique. I get that some people find it painful. For me it's my favorite coaster in WDW other than Everest. I was extremely disappointed in DL's version. Yes, it is smoother, but it's just very boring to me. WDW doesn't do thrills very well. But the quick drops and fear of getting your head cut off provide a different kind of fun and thrill you can't really find anywhere else. Since a redo isn't going to turn it into a world class coaster that thrill seekers flock to, I'd rather keep it as it is now. I'm sure it will be replaced eventually but I hope it's still a ways down the road. Maybe they can redo one side and keep the other side as "Space Mountain Classic."

They also replaced the entire track about 8 years ago had it shut down for 9 months. I doubt they are going to bother to do that again anytime soon.

I'm on the side of liking California's better - but I prefer them to stay different. The more differences between the coasts the better.

I think the $800 is the problem. No way in ____ am I spending that on a lego set. I still haven't been able to justify the castle.
This is why I "settled" for the Millennium Falcon for the X-Wing miniatures game that I recently started playing!

I agree. Disneyland's is fun, but I really missed the drops. They're the best part.

I also agree about moving the ride photo location.

They also replaced the entire track about 8 years ago had it shut down for 9 months. I doubt they are going to bother to do that again anytime soon.

I'm on the side of liking California's better - but I prefer them to stay different. The more differences between the coasts the better.

It shut in 99 and 08. So a decade apart after the first 25 year run. Granted those were to fix different things, but at almost 50 years by the early 2020s I think we could claim the support columns would be a different issue as well. Regardless, by the time Tron is up and running and the 50th is in the past, it will have been close to 15 years since the last refurb. The timing probably works out.

It seems like every time I go they are using the trim brakes more, so there must be some kind of underlying issue causing them to slow the ride. Whether that is the replaced tracks aren't keeping up or the non-replaced support columns are getting uglier or some other problem I don't know.

I don't really want to clone DLR's SM. I love the single file, double track nature of WDW. But music, updatable projections, maybe even bringing back the glow in the dark cars (though that's really for the PeopleMover) would make the ride better, let alone making it less of a back breaker.

I think back to BTMR and how I almost dreaded riding it before that track was replaced. But since then it is once again one of my favorite rides. I'd like to see SM restored to the point where the trim brakes aren't always on and to see some fun new features added. With Tron able to hold down that section of the Park for a year or two while it gets done, it seems like it makes sense some time not long after the 50th.

It shut in 99 and 08. So a decade apart after the first 25 year run. Granted those were to fix different things, but at almost 50 years by the early 2020s I think we could claim the support columns would be a different issue as well. Regardless, by the time Tron is up and running and the 50th is in the past, it will have been close to 15 years since the last refurb. The timing probably works out.

It seems like every time I go they are using the trim brakes more, so there must be some kind of underlying issue causing them to slow the ride. Whether that is the replaced tracks aren't keeping up or the non-replaced support columns are getting uglier or some other problem I don't know.

I don't really want to clone DLR's SM. I love the single file, double track nature of WDW. But music, updatable projections, maybe even bringing back the glow in the dark cars (though that's really for the PeopleMover) would make the ride better, let alone making it less of a back breaker.

I think back to BTMR and how I almost dreaded riding it before that track was replaced. But since then it is once again one of my favorite rides. I'd like to see SM restored to the point where the trim brakes aren't always on and to see some fun new features added. With Tron able to hold down that section of the Park for a year or two while it gets done, it seems like it makes sense some time not long after the 50th.
I don’t believe they’ve ever replaced the full track. I know I’ve heard @rteetz mention this before, I believe in 09 they were supposed to do a full replacement and the budget got slashed so they only did what they could with that money

I don’t believe they’ve ever replaced the full track. I know I’ve heard @rteetz mention this before, I believe in 09 they were supposed to do a full replacement and the budget got slashed so they only did what they could with that money
That is my understanding too but I did a quick search online and couldn't find any details I'd want to quote. I know they replaced some track, I think at one time there were a few pictures of the support structures during the '09 refurb and I remember thinking they didn't look too hot (though I have no background to make that kind of judgment!). But in those pictures there was missing, shiny, and old track. So I feel safe saying some track was replaced but I don't know, and seem to remember, that it wasn't all of it. Maybe not even most of it.

That is my understanding too but I did a quick search online and couldn't find any details I'd want to quote. I know they replaced some track, I think at one time there were a few pictures of the support structures during the '09 refurb and I remember thinking they didn't look too hot (though I have no background to make that kind of judgment!). But in those pictures there was missing, shiny, and old track. So I feel safe saying some track was replaced but I don't know, and seem to remember, that it wasn't all of it. Maybe not even most of it.
The track was supposed to be completely redone and replaced in 2009 but that refurb was cancelled as they couldn't justify taking it down that long. If you ever ride the people mover when the lights are on you can see the markings on the steel where they were set to take things apart. As far as I know the track was never replaced at least not in any of the more recent refurbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!