News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides knowing the range, how long will the room remain unlocked? With Magic Bands or even non-Disney Hotels that use the non-swipe type of card, once you wave the card or Magic Band, the door only remains unlocked for a few seconds. If this is still the case, then I would expect the range would be very small in scope. At least I would hope that this would still be the case.

Seems like one of those things where a lot of the time even 3 hours is more than enough but for those few times when 4 hours might be needed they changed it for everyone rather than having varying times based on when the travel was. Not sure how hard that would be for them to manage but might make more sense for them to have like low, regular, peak times and vary the pick up times based on that
This makes sense but a system like this may end up confusing people and result in potentially missed pick-up Times.

This makes sense but a system like this may end up confusing people and result in potentially missed pick-up Times.

and I am sure those types of things Disney considers and probably why it has been the same for everyone ... or you'd see people argue to be on the shorter one even if the guidelines would say they should be on a longer one, etc

Seems like one of those things where a lot of the time even 3 hours is more than enough but for those few times when 4 hours might be needed they changed it for everyone rather than having varying times based on when the travel was. Not sure how hard that would be for them to manage but might make more sense for them to have like low, regular, peak times and vary the pick up times based on that
They provide a letter to your room the day before checkout listing your pickup time and advising you to be at the stop 15 minutes (I believe) prior. I don't think there would be any confusion unless somebody has a different interpretation of what 3:30 pm means LOL!! Regardless of whether you agree with your time or not - you gotta show up at the bus stop 15 minutes prior.

@TheMaxRebo - I think dynamic timing is neat idea too. I don't see them doing it but it would be great if they did. For somebody doing resort airline check-in with pre-check 4 hours would be a killer. However for somebody needing to check bags at the airport with no pre-check I can see why they'd like the additional time. Too bad they can't customize it to somebody's unique situation BUT the problem there is many stupid people would try to cut it too close and blame Disney for missing a flight.

I'd like to know how many people actually missed their flights at 3 hour pick-up time. I've never gotten to an airport 2 hours in advance of my flight and not made the flight - and I've been stuck in some heinous lines. Plus here your bags are already checked. Heck, I've gotten to airports 30 minutes before my flight and made my flight. It seemed to me the overreaction of the 4 hours was done due to a couple of complaints, and then the 4 hour change got them even MORE complaints - so they went back.

They provide a letter to your room the day before checkout listing your pickup time and advising you to be at the stop 15 minutes (I believe) prior. I don't think there would be any confusion unless somebody has a different interpretation of what 3:30 pm means LOL!! Regardless of whether you agree with your time or not - you gotta show up at the bus stop 15 minutes prior.

Might be the same people that ask "what time is the 3 O'Clock parade?" ;)

@TheMaxRebo - I think dynamic timing is neat idea too. I don't see them doing it but it would be great if they did. For somebody doing resort airline check-in with pre-check 4 hours would be a killer. However for somebody needing to check bags at the airport with no pre-check I can see why they'd like the additional time. Too bad they can't customize it to somebody's unique situation BUT the problem there is many stupid people would try to cut it too close and blame Disney for missing a flight.

I think that is their big worry - much rather get everyone there earlier than they need than deal with one person missing their flight and blaming Disney

I'd like to know how many people actually missed their flights at 3 hour pick-up time. I've never gotten to an airport 2 hours in advance of my flight and not made the flight - and I've been stuck in some heinous lines. Plus here your bags are already checked. Heck, I've gotten to airports 30 minutes before my flight and made my flight. It seemed to me the overreaction of the 4 hours was done due to a couple of complaints, and then the 4 hour change got them even MORE complaints - so they went back.

I think they got really worried about the extra long lines at MCO security that was being seen and then reports of them going through the candy, etc. - combined with holiday season ... just got them worried and like I said, would rather everyone be there 2 hours earlier than they need than one person miss their flight and blame Disney

I bet some people did miss flights - but can't imagine it was Disney's fault. They probably just messed around at the airport then tried to pin it on Disney - like you said a couple of complaints!

The one thing to remember though is that not everybody checks their bags with resort airline check-in. Some people choose not to, and some get flagged for a TSA security thing that says they have to check at the airport (although if you have the insider knowledge on this you can still just check them at the resort ;)). Regardless the 4 hour thing seemed like overkill to me and pretty much everybody else lol.

We've been vacationing in Orlando for 2 weeks every December since 2008.

Almost every year I read about these long lines at MCO and every year we're through security in 30 mins or less. I've always thought they do an impressive job of getting alot of people through security there. After being through 9 holiday seasons at MCO I have a hard time believing its been luck. We always end up sitting around for at least 90 mins with nothing to do.

The ability to use a smart phone with BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) can't be far behind. Imagine Disney moving to this technology for park entrance and FP as well. They could do away with MB's.

At Disneyland and DCA, they do allow you to use your smart phone for your FP scans. So that part of the technology is currently available. Given how much $ they get from selling special Magic Bands (right @rteetz?), I really do not see Magic Bands going away at WDW.

At Disneyland and DCA, they do allow you to use your smart phone for your FP scans. So that part of the technology is currently available. Given how much $ they get from selling special Magic Bands (right @rteetz?), I really do not see Magic Bands going away at WDW.
But it’s a barcode scan not an nfc or blue tooth read.

They could just as easily sell disney parks apple watch bands and still capture that market. I'd buy one that has purple Haunted Mansion wallpaper print in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!