News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you going to fit it in before or after you’ve RUN yourself ragged?! That’s always a tough decision with these things for me! Though I’m so happy after I’ve done races that I don’t feel tired... right away... :)
I’m hoping it’s at a reasonable time. I’m either doing it the 2nd or the 5th so before or after the half.

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/is-toy-story-land-at-disneys-hollywood-studios-a-dud/

Interesting analysis by Josh of easywdw on the topic of toy story land being a dud or worthwhile in Disney's eyes.

I took my family down to Disney in July just for TSL since the kids were extremely excited from all they saw. It’s hard to say whether it was underperforming but I know my family loved it. Honestly the most baffling part is the lack of a store and to a lesser degree a restaurant.

I keep meaning to do the elephant one. Now I need to do this as well at some point. First priority is still the Starlight Safari, though.
I need to do Wild Africa Trek soon too. I also have been meaning to do Caring for Giants. Maybe in January.

I need to do Wild Africa Trek soon too. I also have been meaning to do Caring for Giants. Maybe in January.

Wild Africa Trek is awesome. We did it a few days after it started. Can't recommend it enough. Seeing the savanna from new angles was just great. I might actually wind up down there the first week this is there so I may jump on it. Maybe just do it and elephants all at once.

My first born son we named Ryne. Ryno to all that know him. He is the one to my right in the avatar and his twin brother is on my left. Close to 6'6" and they both were really good basketball (and baseball) players in high school. Ryno had the nickname (flying white Ryno) for how he came out of nowhere to block shots with his long arms. Ever since he was a kid we always had stuffed ryno's around. Bought several ryno carvings, etc at AK and AKL. This tour might be just right for him and his GF when we go next spring. Looks fun. Also, we had the white rhyno charge our truck a couple trips ago. Right at me. I didn't move too much, but we did look each other in the eye from about four feet away. Was the best experience ever on the Savanah.

I’m hoping it’s at a reasonable time. I’m either doing it the 2nd or the 5th so before or after the half.
My first born son we named Ryne. Ryno to all that know him. He is the one to my right in the avatar and his twin brother is on my left. Close to 6'6" and they both were really good basketball (and baseball) players in high school. Ryno had the nickname (flying white Ryno) for how he came out of nowhere to block shots with his long arms. Ever since he was a kid we always had stuffed ryno's around. Bought several ryno carvings, etc at AK and AKL. This tour might be just right for him and his GF when we go next spring. Looks fun. Also, we had the white rhyno charge our truck a couple trips ago. Right at me. I didn't move too much, but we did look each other in the eye from about four feet away. Was the best experience ever on the Savanah.
Website now says its offered once a day - not sure if all days, or specific ones - 60 minutes long, and arrive at 10:45 for 11:00AM tour...$40 very reasonable!

ERA: OOOPS...sorry, I see you already have the info....I wish we could delete posts... :(

My 2 cents on TSL (we were there 2 weeks after it opened). DS15 & I were SO excited to see it. Fortunately we secured SDD FP in advance so we did not rope drop that park, but we arrived around 9am for those 7am(?) openings.

We both like the look of the area. We both far preferred SDD to 7DMT (rode them both for the first time on the same trip). But it is hotter than hot in the summer heat.

We used our 3 FP+ on RNRC, ST & SDD. We did standby lines for a second ride on ST, Muppets and TSMM. We had an ADR at Sci Fi at 1pm and we left. There just isn’t enough to do in the park anymore. I was on a trip with a 15 year old boy so obviously we aren’t doing any meet & greets or watching LM, BATB, or Playhouse Disney. We really missed GMR and BLT.

TL;DR it’s a half day park at best for those who have teen boys. TSL doesn’t change that.

Wild Africa Trek is awesome. We did it a few days after it started. Can't recommend it enough. Seeing the savanna from new angles was just great. I might actually wind up down there the first week this is there so I may jump on it. Maybe just do it and elephants all at once.
I have done this one twice too! Loved it! We're thinking about the Savor the Savanah one on our Feb trip also, so now it's turning into a HEAVY AK Park trip! Works for me!

I think it’s definitely underperforming in Disney’s eyes. Also there have been several surveys sent around about this land.

It's probably hard to call it a "dud" but I also think it would hard to say that Disney is "trilled" with the impact - especially when you see/compare to how Pandora is still impact AK's attendance and how the wait times for 7DMT are still longer than Slinky Dog, etc. ... given the advertising I am sure they wanted to see more of an impact to DHSs crowds than it has done

That said, it is hard to fully evaluate as it was meant to be a complementary land to when Galaxy's Edge opens

I do agree with a comment Josh makes in the article: Disney's goal with anything they add is to increase attendance/spending. They don't do anything just to add capacity for the sake of adding it.

As they don't sell half day tickets, I doubt Disney cares if a new land ups a park status to full day.

I feel like many vacationers are planning a trip of at least 4 days and plan to hit all of the parks in those days regardless of what is offered in each park. What it does do is add a few more things for younger visitors outside of shows. I think it was more an understanding of HS needing more for a segment of the population, increasing number of things to do, etc. than it was an attempt to drive more people to HS...they already know SWGE will do all they need related to driving attendance.

This looks really great...we are doing Caring for Giants in November. I hope they continue to add experiences like this with other species. I especially like that the profits from this and Caring for Giants goes directly to the Conservation Fund. Will be interested to hear how you like it!

NEWS

WDWNT reporting the "permanent" Wreck it Ralph playground that was added has been removed/dismantled ... apparently the metal would get to hot for kids to safely play on it

Wreck It Ralph playground gone.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-19_16-12-38.png
    upload_2018-9-19_16-12-38.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter