News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone notice that Innoventions West is not in the concept art... ;)
that was part of what I was referencing when mentioned it looked like a lot more greenery in that area - but wasn't sure if it was just artistic license of the concept art or part of the reality

I am super-excited at the Play Pavillion possibilities. Maybe it will harken back to the days of Innoventions exhibits and even the Imagination pavillion - But modernized, of course.

also made me think of Disney Quest a bit

... maybe a combination of the Character Spot meet & greet, classic Innovention and Imagination play areas, and Disney Quest - all with a look of the Oh My Disney part of WiR2

wow, that is a pretty big announcement - something happening to the Wonders of Life building (which I guess means new location for the Festival Center in the future), will be an "City" (guess sort of playing homage to Walt's original goal of EPCOT) and will feature Disney Characters ... seems to fit the whole "More Family, more Disney" goals with the redo of EPCOT

"The ongoing evolution of Epcot includes plans for a play pavilion that’ll be unlike anything you’ve ever seen at the park. This new space will be devoted to playful fun and feature an innovative city that’ll come to life under the dome of the un-named pavilion previously known as Wonders of Life. The pavilion’s city will be bursting with interactive experiences, your favorite Disney characters, hands-on activities and engaging entertainment when it opens just in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort!"
My kids would have spent hours in a place like this! Well done, Disney.

It really feels like this Epcot news completes the puzzle of a modern Disney world.

Magic Kingdom was re-energized with New Fantasyland and has some improvements on the way (i.e. Tron), Animal Kingdom fleshed out with Pandora (my favorite land of any park), Hollywood Studios finally will feel like a complete park once Star Wars opens, and Epcot has several new attractions and this modernization TLC on the way.

I’m very excited for this Epcot change above all else - can’t wait!

• According to the THR article, it’s not the quality of the story or the actual movie that’s inciting the negativity, some fans seem to take issue with the existence of the film or, rather, its star.
Well, at least This being judged on its own merits as a film *sigh*
The way a lead actor conducts themselves offscreen has always been an issue for any movie or studio. That's not new. What does feel new is more contrived attempts at creating "strong female characters" -- it feels forced a lot, and as though we're all supposed to like the movie BECAUSE they're showcasing a supposed "strong female lead". I can see some rebelling against that.

To me, this movie just doesn't look interesting -- no plans to see it.

ETA: It's funny, but my 12yo daughter and her friends joke about movies like this... they say things like "oh, I guess this is a superhero movie for ME", or "I guess I'm supposed to like this...". They seem to pick movies to see based on whether the characters seem INTERESTING to them. Kids these days seem to be beyond this stuff more so than the generation making these movies.

Our society is so pathetic , this is like the backlassh against last jedi because it had strong female characters. Sorry but .... these people. I've actually heard some very good reviews already.
Interesting interpretation -- not one I agree with. I thought one of the female leads played a ridiculous, uninteresting and annoying character who had zero chemistry with her "love interest". "Strong" wasn't the problem.

Last edited:
The way a lead actor conducts themselves offscreen has always been an issue for any movie or studio. That's not new. What does feel new is more contrived attempts at creating "strong female characters" -- it feels forced a lot, and as though we're all supposed to like the movie BECAUSE they're showcasing a supposed "strong female lead". I can see some rebelling against that.

To me, this movie just doesn't look interesting -- no plans to see it.

I think you need a variety of super heroes and this is another element to that - and gives it an interesting twist. So not sure how forced it is - you just do need some female super heroes to round out things.

My wife isn't into most super hero movies but wants to see this one and we have tickets for opening weekend. She enjoyed Wonder Woman - but that worked because it was a good movie that had a strong female lead .... it wasn't good simply because it had a strong female lead and this will be the same. if it is a good movie that bring a new personality and angle to the storyline, then great - if the movie is no good then it doesn't matter

I just don't agree with giving a movie a poor review before you even saw it just because of this. If it makes you not want to see it, that makes sense, but how can anyone properly rate the movie before they see it?

I think you need a variety of super heroes and this is another element to that - and gives it an interesting twist.
Not to me, or to my 12yo daughter and her friends. They were joking about it the other day: "Oh, I guess I'm SUPPOSED to like this because there's a girl in it...". I edited my above post to add that I think a lot of kids these days are beyond this stuff (more so than the generation making the films) -- they seek out films with characters who actually look INTERESTING to them.

Box office seems to come along when the characters are INTERESTING in and of themselves -- no matter what group they belong to. I'm not sure they achieved that here.

Not to me, or to my 12yo daughter and her friends. They were joking about it the other day: "Oh, I guess I'm SUPPOSED to like this because there's a girl in it...". I edited my above post to add that I think a lot of kids these days are beyond this stuff (more so than the generation making the films) -- they seek out films with characters who actually look INTERESTING to them.

Box office seems to come along when the characters are INTERESTING in and of themselves -- no matter what group they belong to. I'm not sure they achieved that here.
Everyone is different. I’m certainly not as excited for Captain Marvel a sport other films but I’ll see it and am interested in it.

i agree with all of that - I just think Captain Marvel is interesting ... not just because she's a female, that is part of it and how that fits in with the, largely Male dominated Avengers, but much more than that ... her back story, her powers, etc.

Like I said, if the movie is no good it is no good and if she winds up being uninteresting then she is uninteresting - just as of now I am interested in it

and I guess I see "interesting" and "like" to be very different. I think it does make it more "interesting" because she is female - but that doesn't mean I will "like" it or girls should "like" it simply because she is female

i agree with all of that - I just think Captain Marvel is interesting ... not just because she's a female, that is part of it and how that fits in with the, largely Male dominated Avengers, but much more than that ... her back story, her powers, etc.

Like I said, if the movie is no good it is no good and if she winds up being uninteresting then she is uninteresting - just as of now I am interested in it

and I guess I see "interesting" and "like" to be very different. I think it does make it more "interesting" because she is female - but that doesn't mean I will "like" it or girls should "like" it simply because she is female
My only issue with Capt. Marvel is they skipped the cannon version. Capt. Marvel was originally a man, then went to Ms Marvel/female Capt. Marvel. Is this a huge deal, no, but you lose a whole lot of the history of the character by not including that. Now that said, there are some hints in one of the previews that may address this.....still.

As for the negative reviews.....that will change. Look at what Black Panther has done for having a strong viable minority hero. Assuming similar quality - I can't see this as a negative to women, any more than WW was. I am actually very interested in this to see how she gets tied into the whole Infinity war model.

I know we're getting to the side of the Disney topic so I'll just add this one last thought: I get what you're saying -- and we can totally just see this differently! :) To me, a character is not one whit more interesting nor more likable because she is female -- certainly not in a superhero movie where she's far, far, far from a first. I'm glad that my daughter doesn't see a strong female as so unusual or noteworthy that she has to like her for being female. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter