News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree with all of that - I just think Captain Marvel is interesting ... not just because she's a female, that is part of it and how that fits in with the, largely Male dominated Avengers, but much more than that ... her back story, her powers, etc.

Like I said, if the movie is no good it is no good and if she winds up being uninteresting then she is uninteresting - just as of now I am interested in it

and I guess I see "interesting" and "like" to be very different. I think it does make it more "interesting" because she is female - but that doesn't mean I will "like" it or girls should "like" it simply because she is female
I agree with this. I’m also interested because of the whole Avengers storyline. She obviously has a place in that and I’m interested to see how she fits.

I know we're getting to the side of the Disney topic so I'll just add this one last thought: I get what you're saying -- and we can totally just see this differently! :) To me, a character is not one whit more interesting nor more likable because she is female -- certainly not in a superhero movie where she's far, far, far from a first. I'm glad that my daughter doesn't see a strong female as so unusual or noteworthy that she has to like her for being female. :goodvibes

I agree with that - I wouldn't want my daughters to think they have to like Captain Marvel simply because she is a female - but if it is a good movie and is presenting her in a positive light and my daughters can draw inspiration from that, then great - but not simply because she is female

I just think different characters in general make things more interesting. For example, the fact Black Panther is a person of color and from Africa makes him a bit more interesting ... not the only reason, far from it, but it does add to it

and if my views are antiquated then it is probably just reason 157 or so that I am antiquated :D

I'm so excited! Just bought an annual pass for our 10 day trip in May 2020! We will then buy one regular length of stay hopper.

We always eat table service at night, buy memory maker and buy nice souvenirs. Plus possibility of resort discount, it made sense. And figured why not buy today, so I did!!!!

This is news, right? :p

also made me think of Disney Quest a bit

... maybe a combination of the Character Spot meet & greet, classic Innovention and Imagination play areas, and Disney Quest - all with a look of the Oh My Disney part of WiR2

This is what I am seeing, looks just like "the internet" as it was portrayed in WiR2.

I'm so excited! Just bought an annual pass for our 10 day trip in May 2020! We will then buy one regular length of stay hopper.

We always eat table service at night, buy memory maker and buy nice souvenirs. Plus possibility of resort discount, it made sense. And figured why not buy today, so I did!!!!

This is news, right? :p

That's what we do - get one AP for the discounts (also you can get a Tables in Wonderland card if you have an AP so that is more dining discounts) and then regular tickets for the rest of the family

Actually got 2 APs right before the last price increase, one in my name and one in my wife's. Currently have mine active and then in the future we will activate hers

I know we're getting to the side of the Disney topic so I'll just add this one last thought: I get what you're saying -- and we can totally just see this differently! :) To me, a character is not one whit more interesting nor more likable because she is female -- certainly not in a superhero movie where she's far, far, far from a first. I'm glad that my daughter doesn't see a strong female as so unusual or noteworthy that she has to like her for being female. :goodvibes

what's also important here is NOT that girls see themselves on screen though that is important, but girls and minorities are much more able to relate to characters who are different than themselves than white males. Or rather this has previously been the case. It is much easier to get a minority child to read about a character that doesn't look like them than a white boy (I say this as a librarian and not to start something, this has been my observation and reports from other librarians and teachers support this). By making a diverse Marvel universe, we are all forced to relate to characters even if they don't look like us.

EDIT: Also, as someone who went to an all girls high school, I felt much like the daughter who said "oh I have to like this cuz I am female" often. We once had speakers come in to tell us how exciting it was we could go into science and we were like obviously??? It's hard to understand that it was exciting for the presenter because at the time they started their career it wasn't easy. Just another teachable moment to say you don't have to like her because she's female but you should appreciate that you can see a female superhero, it wasn't always that way.

That's what we do - get one AP for the discounts (also you can get a Tables in Wonderland card if you have an AP so that is more dining discounts) and then regular tickets for the rest of the family

Actually got 2 APs right before the last price increase, one in my name and one in my wife's. Currently have mine active and then in the future we will activate hers

Besides all the great stuff you listed, any other things I should be on lookout for? Special t-shirts or anything? :o outside of resort, souvenir discounts.

A little later than Memorial Day but still right in the Summer time frame. Disney and Universal battling news today.

So we are there for Memorial Day and I didn't know if I would be upset or relieved if I missed it. Good news is the emotion is relieved. While it looks like a lot of fun, in the end I'm glad to not have to deal with the crowds that arrive with a new HP ride.

As far as the Epcot announcements - I love all of it. Fixing up wonders of life is huge to me. I loved that pavillion, and anything that involves new attractions in there is a great idea. The spine redesign looks great too. The only thing is that it feels like the entrance to that park is going to be a hot mess for the next two years.

what's also important here is NOT that girls see themselves on screen though that is important, but girls and minorities are much more able to relate to characters who are different than themselves than white males. Or rather this has previously been the case. It is much easier to get a minority child to read about a character that doesn't look like them than a white boy (I say this as a librarian and not to start something, this has been my observation and reports from other librarians and teachers support this). By making a diverse Marvel universe, we are all forced to relate to characters even if they don't look like us.

If you want to look at an example of how bad female superheroes were treated not at all long ago - watch the poop-show that is "Catwoman". If ever there was a female driven superhero movie that was led completely by men - it was that one. Wonder Woman has its flaws - but as others have said it is a strong movie that is led by a strong female character.

My point is - slagging on a movie just because it has a strong female character is pathetic and counter-productive to everywhere we need to be. Talk to some minorities about how important Black Panther is to them - but at the heart what's important is that it's a great movie, and that it then gives minority audiences characters to look up to - and let's not discount that -s, characterS - is fantastic. So I hope first and foremost Captain Marvel is a great movie and then if it also has strong female roles - that's wonderful too.

Sorry if already posted but I’m on mobile and haven’t been able to read every comment.

I find it a bit amusing that Universal did a ‘bike rollercoaster’ ahead of Disney’s TRON coaster. No one else in Orlando has one yet, right?

The only real interesting I have in Captain Marvel is how they handle her powers. Honestly, in the comics she is cosmic level. She can pretty much do anything at times. That, to me, has always made for crappy story lines. I expect she'll be more limited than she is at the extremes in the comics, and how they define that will interest me. One of the things I like about MCU is that they haven't given god like powers yet. Superpowers, yes, but still beatable (except maybe Hulk, who's limiting factor is his intelligence).

Anyway, I'm thinking this is likely to be a small screen movie for me. My kids can't wait for How to Train Your Dragon III, they have loved those movies and shows, so I'm guessing the movie budget is going that way in the near future. Kind of refreshing not to hand it to Disney.

Besides all the great stuff you listed, any other things I should be on lookout for? Special t-shirts or anything? :o outside of resort, souvenir discounts.

You can get your free AP magnet (Mouse Gear is usually reliable to have them). If are staying offsite and drive you get free parking (that is usually our situation and is >$100 savings right there for us).

There is usually some special AP only merchandise (we were there during Food and Wine and they had a bunch)

Is there any news about an upcoming annual pass price increase? I saw something mentioned about it somewhere on Twitter, but I had not heard anything here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!