News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read this story:

https://arstechnica.com/information...ccount-sharing-with-help-from-cable-industry/

Basically Disney is going to consider password sharing piracy and Charter and Disney have agreed to sure your data with each other to make sure you aren't letting your buddy or mom use your account. I have a feeling both of these companies consider it piracy if you let your friend that doesn't have cable watch your TV as well.

As long as they don’t get uppity about me sharing my MDE account with hubby, I’m fine. They do lose money when people share streaming accounts. Not judging anyone that does though.

They do lose money when people share streaming accounts
Not necessarily. In many cases, sharing helps them maintain accounts. I know a good number of people that only hold onto Netflix because collectively their families use it enough to be worth it, but individually none of them would pay. In those cases, sharing makes them money.

Not necessarily. In many cases, sharing helps them maintain accounts. I know a good number of people that only hold onto Netflix because collectively their families use it enough to be worth it, but individually none of them would pay. In those cases, sharing makes them money.

That’s true, but that’s definitely not how businesses think about it. However, they don’t always live in the real world.

That’s true, but that’s definitely not how businesses think about it. However, they don’t always live in the real world.
This is basically how Netflix and HBO publicly look at it. Amazon even used to let you share prime between five accounts and even though officially this has gone away they still let me.

At the end of the day you pay for two streams at a time, so it's easy to argue it's not stealing if your buddy is using the second stream you're paying for.

As someone who does share streaming services with my parents (but I’m the one paying!), why don’t they just do like Netflix and bill in tiers by number of devices? That way, it doesn’t matter if you share as long as you don’t go over your device limit.

Is anyone worried about this new Halloween party ticket making the crowding thing even worse? Reports in the last year or two indicated parties were getting too crowded for the extra cost.

Won't this make that uncontrollably worse? If locals have passes, they could crowd out a party with no notice at all, and Disney world have no way to stop it anymore.

As someone who does share streaming services with my parents (but I’m the one paying!), why don’t they just do like Netflix and bill in tiers by number of devices? That way, it doesn’t matter if you share as long as you don’t go over your device limit.
That would be ideal. I truly despise the restrictions that Hulu added if you want Live TV, all it did was ensure I cancelled the Live TV after 15 minutes. Really hope that Disney doesn’t try to expand that nonsense, because no content is worth dealing with that. Stream limits, gives them control from it getting out of hand and keeps customers happy.

Netflix explicitly allows this for this reason. They charge by the stream.

If Disney wants to do something different that’s their prerogative; they are pricing D+ at barely half of what Netflix costs.

Is anyone worried about this new Halloween party ticket making the crowding thing even worse? Reports in the last year or two indicated parties were getting too crowded for the extra cost.

Won't this make that uncontrollably worse? If locals have passes, they could crowd out a party with no notice at all, and Disney world have no way to stop it anymore.
While it’s an option for people to purchase this, I really can’t see enough people doing it and all going the same night to really make a difference in crowd levels. I believe the number of tickets Disney is selling for each party is a far bigger contributor to the overcrowded parties.

While it’s an option for people to purchase this, I really can’t see enough people doing it and all going the same night to really make a difference in crowd levels. I believe the number of tickets Disney is selling for each party is a far bigger contributor to the overcrowded parties.

Could be, but I've heard this concern elsewhere with this new ticket offering. Added to the criticism of crowding at parties, I just wondered what folks here thought.

Maybe they're just trying to fill up those early season parties. I just don't see how they control it down the line.

I think technically it is against Netflix TOS to share outside of the household. They just don't actually care.

Could be, but I've heard this concern elsewhere with this new ticket offering. Added to the criticism of crowding at parties, I just wondered what folks here thought.

Maybe they're just trying to fill up those early season parties. I just don't see how they control it down the line.

my thinking is they want as many people in the parties as possible, ticket sales so far have been slower than they want and this is another way to get people there - so not that this will make them that much *more* crowded, just that it will increase likleihood that they are at least as crowded as they were last year

Appears that the rooms at the Contemporary Resort may be updated to include an Incredibles theme. I certainly hope this does not happen. :crazy2:

https://blogmickey.com/2019/08/incr...-rooms-pop-up-at-disneys-contemporary-resort/

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think the photos in the link actually look great!
CR needs a bit of a refresh and I think mid-century mod Incredibles is a good fit if they don't go over the top like All Star and just keep it subtle like it looks in the pics. :)

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think the photos in the link actually look great!
CR needs a bit of a refresh and I think mid-century mod Incredibles is a good fit if they don't go over the top like All Star and just keep it subtle like it looks in the pics. :)
I just don’t want the entire building to get an Incredibles look. Rooms are one thing but the entire resort would be detrimental IMO.

I just don’t want the entire building to get an Incredibles look. Rooms are one thing but the entire resort would be detrimental IMO.

Well, if they use just the artwork like in the photo, with the mid-century mod decor (carpets, wall design, colors), I think it would look really good.
Now if they change every corner to have some kind of Incredible something or other, then I agree, too much.
Subtle would be key for sure. I would think it being a deluxe they would not go a "loud" as the values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter