News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Dinoland. The coaster definitely isn't anything special but it is still a fun ride in a park lacking rides. It being closed also removed a lot of energy from that part of the park.

But it really gets under my skin that they have completely jacked up prices while taking away rides, entertainment, and experiences. It seems like they are trying the old retail death spiral technique, "we're losing customers and revenue" "well increase prices and cut corners to keep up profits" "we've lost more customers" repeat... (I'm not saying they are in a death spiral, just they are responding to loss of attendance by cutting the quality of the product.)

More to the point they are PO-ing the hardcore DIsney fan base that are the ones that will go during bad economic times.

Interesting .. those were fun when DHS opened and the "magic" of making movies was a mystery. Good for a one-time "learn how movies were made" ..but after that, both felt like a waste of space. To me .. the greatest loss was the Honey I Shrunk the Playground. Still shocked they couldn't incorporate some sort of playground with giant toys in TOY Story Land.

Does this usually mean they are expecting bigger crowds on those days?

I am curious if October will still be as packed as it has been the last few years or the "downturn" in attendance from the summer months will continue.
If DisUnplugged is to be believed the downturn will continue

One day, dh and I were trying to get from Pandora to Kilimanjaro Safari and there was some sort of musical act playing between Tusker House and Tamu Tamu. It was LOUD and the area was completely clogged with people watching. We made it through, but it was not pleasant. That is what I was talking about. Another time, either the same act or some other one was in the same place and I just wanted to use the restrooms that are in that area. I think the other side of Africa was closed (near Harambe Market) for a private event so the only place we could go was that area that was clogged up with the musical act. It was an extremely frustrating experience. I understand many people loved it (thus the reason the area was so congested), but for me all I felt was anxiety and frustration.

That area was designed to get clogged up, just like a real African market place would, by the Imagineers.

More to the point they are PO-ing the hardcore DIsney fan base that are the ones that will go during bad economic times.
We have to remember though what they've added .. during this time of price increases - a total makeover of DHS (5 new rides .. and 2 new lands) (Plus a Lightning McQueen show) .. a makeover of Fantasyland, a new land with one great ride at AK, and .. while Epcot will be a disaster for the next few years .. it will be totally new as well with tons of new attractions and experiences.

This is not to mention the special things the temporary experiences they add/remove like dance parties character meet and greets, etc.

It's not like they are just shutting down an entire land or an entire park just to save money.

WELL guess we are taking a Lyft for HS RD!
Buses should run earlier than that.
yes but with all the panic about reduced bus service do you think they will be reliable? I would think so, but you never know.

This makes me laugh... when I was skeptical of buying at Riviera because we had no idea how Disney would choose to operate syliner in practice (eg shutting down for lightning in the area etc), I said they’d have to keep some buses around — at least initially. I got so much pushback on that idea, and even being concerned about how Disney might choose to operate the gondolas factoring into any Riviera purchase at all.

I can imagine how thrilled I’d be if I purchased to find that at least for now, I’d have to take a bus for rope drop (unless this changes before resort open)!! Despite paying BIG BUCKS in transportation system maintenance fees from day one.

Hopefully this will change with time, but good grief... not having Skyliner effectively serve RD?? Eesh.

We have to remember though what they've added .. during this time of price increases - a total makeover of DHS (5 new rides .. and 2 new lands) (Plus a Lightning McQueen show) .. a makeover of Fantasyland, a new land with one great ride at AK, and .. while Epcot will be a disaster for the next few years .. it will be totally new as well with tons of new attractions and experiences.

This is not to mention the special things the temporary experiences they add/remove like dance parties character meet and greets, etc.

It's not like they are just shutting down an entire land or an entire park just to save money.
Facts schmacts — that’s no fun! ;)

I'm still torn on these.

Has anyone any experience with the photos these produce? Can they do videos (because a video of the whole exchange would be awesome) .. does it have multiple lenses (like the new iPhone) that takes multiple photos with different fields of view? Does it take a LOT of pictures (like the human photographers do) or does it just snap a few shots?

As long as some of the exchanges aren't missed .. hugs, high-fives, and the pose. I will be fine with this. If these photo boxes turn the M&Gs photos into a single posed shot .. Meh.

You figure with the sheer amount of cast members Disney had to hire for SWGE, that cuts would be made somewhere.
I tried the Tinker Bell box and got 3 photos. 1 of another family, 1 with 1 of my family members out of frame, and 1 with someone's eyes closed. I only did the M&G to check out the box and was underwhelmed. If I had waited in a SB line for a princess with a child or used up a FP+ and got photos of that caliber I would be walking right over to GRs.

WELL guess we are taking a Lyft for HS RD!

The monorails and some boats are worthless too for getting to rope drop at the time you should, as opposed to 5 minutes before the park opens:sad2:

So is it rumored/in the works to reduce/eliminate buses from those resorts to Epcot/DHS once everyone gets used to the new Skyliner service? If I recall, the monorail and Epcot resorts don't have buses to their nearby park, correct?

There are boats from the GF and Poly that sometimes run before the monorail, but no buses. However, I think the Epcot resorts have buses to at least DHS, but I could be wrong. They need to accommodate those with mobility issues, if the boats aren't running yet.

That happened though because they sat and did nothing for years. So to an extent it does feel silly to be cutting left and right

That happened though because they sat and did nothing for years. So to an extent it does feel silly to be cutting left and right
ITA. I do not expect new attractions every year by any means but you can't sit stagnant for too too long either.

I think in the discussions of cutting entertainment and adding attractions/lands are comparing apples and oranges IMO. Or at the very least it doesn't mean adding attractions has to be in lieu of other things (ex. not an either/or type thing)

ITA. I do not expect new attractions every year by any means but you can't sit stagnant for too too long either.

I think in the discussions of cutting entertainment and adding attractions/lands are comparing apples and oranges IMO. Or at the very least it doesn't mean adding attractions has to be in lieu of other things (ex. not an either/or type thing)
My point though is that they are just taking away at this point sure they added a few things but they were already at a deficit of things because they let things sit for so long. They were replacing things which means taking away attractions and then refilling them and then ALSO taking away entertainment. And some of those replacements arent even done yet!

My point though is that they are just taking away at this point sure they added a few things but they were already at a deficit of things because they let things sit for so long. They were replacing things which means taking away attractions and then refilling them and then ALSO taking away entertainment. And some of those replacements arent even done yet!
Oh I totally get you for sure :)

Oh I totally get you for sure :)
Just to add, and this isnt directed at anything you said really
The issue with this is they are keeping high prices or raising prices to not offer as much as they used to, which is no good. I shouldn't have to pay more for the ability to do less than I could before when I was paying less. So while entertainment ITSELF is not make or break, the culminating effect of paying more for less IS, especially when the cuts are things people actually enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter