News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Will be interesting to see what Disney opts to have on Hulu versus Disney+ versus ESPN+. I guess Disney+ is for movies and original programming based from their movies and Hulu will continue to be just for TV shows? And ESPN+ for live sports?

While it would make more sense (and be consumer friendly) to have them all consolidated into one platform .. is Disney just going to diversify their content to try and get their customers to buy (or bundle) 3 separate subscriptions? So . .while each one (indvidually) has a good price, bundled together (to get it all) you start paying near the cable bill you cut.

Either way .. this could continue to be a Netflix killer. I don't see sticking with Netflix in the fall if Disney has a decently priced bundle. The only reason I have cable TV (AT&T Uverse) is because they keep offering me a deal to essentially get TV for free (seriously .. if I dropped TV from my internet/tv deal they gave me (after I threatened to cancel), they would charge me just as much for internet alone (if not more) than my current price (around $60/month).
Bob Iger is doing a conference as we speak. One thing he noted in this conference is that Hulu won't have the brand leverage of Disney+ but he expects things from places like FX and other Fox properties to move their way to Hulu.

Disney has announced they plan to offer a bundle for all three options.

Bob Iger is doing a conference as we speak. One thing he noted in this conference is that Hulu won't have the brand leverage of Disney+ but he expects things from places like FX and other Fox properties to move their way to Hulu.

Disney has announced they plan to offer a bundle for all three options.
Can we sign up now? :)

Wow. Will be interesting to see what Disney opts to have on Hulu versus Disney+ versus ESPN+. I guess Disney+ is for movies and original programming based from their movies and Hulu will continue to be just for TV shows? And ESPN+ for live sports?

While it would make more sense (and be consumer friendly) to have them all consolidated into one platform .. is Disney just going to diversify their content to try and get their customers to buy (or bundle) 3 separate subscriptions? So . .while each one (indvidually) has a good price, bundled together (to get it all) you start paying near the cable bill you cut.

Either way .. this could continue to be a Netflix killer. I don't see sticking with Netflix in the fall if Disney has a decently priced bundle. The only reason I have cable TV (AT&T Uverse) is because they keep offering me a deal to essentially get TV for free (seriously .. if I dropped TV from my internet/tv deal they gave me (after I threatened to cancel), they would charge me just as much for internet alone (if not more) than my current price (around $60/month).

If you can get all the Disney "proper" material on Disney + (be it movies, original programing, old TV shows, etc.) and then HULU for the more "mature" stuff and other TV shows and a lot of the FOX library and then real, legit live sports and value added content on ESPN+ and if they can sell a bundle for like $19.99 that would be pretty great

I think Iger had stated that Hulu will be home to the more mature targeted programming. It could be TV offerings like FX, but also would allow for streaming of stuff like Deadpool. Iger said with the Fox acquisition they would not water down their portfolio mature content, but that it wouldn't be on Disney+ either. Hulu is a key strategic piece of the non family friendly streaming content

News

Bob Iger has said Disney has looked into theme parks in India but nothing more to say on that.

Disney plans on getting into the eco-tourism business with National Geographic.

Iger will be at the Tokyo expansion groundbreaking this weekend.

Iger says they get a bigger return when building IP based park experiences.

Disney plans to stay away from VR and focus on real things.

Last edited:

India makes since for a theme park, at least for population density size. Though i am sure climate, logistics and overall land quality and infrastructure are major factors. I dont see Disney making any announcements on a new theme park overseas for at least another 5 years. I am sure they want Shanghai to pay itself off more before they do that sort of Investment, but financially India could make sense.

Thanks .. already done!

News

Next Star Wars trilogy will be the Benioff and Weiss series

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1128316955415457794?s=21
So I guess that means the planned Rian Johnson trilogy has been cancelled
(or at least put on hold)?

As someone (the only person in the world apparently) who hasn't watched Game of Thrones, I am not sure about their body of work, but obviously it is pretty popular. It will be good to have the same directory for an entire trilogy rather than the weird directions we got when someone else took over the reins from JJ.

So I guess that means the planned Rian Johnson trilogy has been cancelled
(or at least put on hold)?

As someone (the only person in the world apparently) who hasn't watched Game of Thrones, I am not sure about their body of work, but obviously it is pretty popular. It will be good to have the same directory for an entire trilogy rather than the weird directions we got when someone else took over the reins from JJ.
I don’t believe they have cancelled the Rian Johnson series. They never announced a start date for either until now. Benioff and Weiss are only writing these not directing.

News

Next Star Wars trilogy will be the Benioff and Weiss series

Can't say I'm happy about this. I'm not a huge fan of TLJ, but I thought Johnson would be far better suited to building and his own sandbox, especially since his "it's not just about the heroes" schtick in TLJ would make way more sense in the backwaters where it really isn't. Essentially Firefly set in the Star Wars universe just with better direction.

Benioff and Weiss I think will at best be serviceable.

Can't say I'm happy about this. I'm not a huge fan of TLJ, but I thought Johnson would be far better suited to building and his own sandbox, especially since his "it's not just about the heroes" schtick in TLJ would make way more sense in the backwaters where it really isn't. Essentially Firefly set in the Star Wars universe just with better direction.

Benioff and Weiss I think will at best be serviceable.
They are just writing not directing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!