News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m in WDW right now and I’m going to the DVC party at Epcot on the 20th. Was it fun?
From what I have heard (I didn't go since I need my Dad to be in FL in order to take me to these things), it was a lot of fun. I heard the special fireworks that evening are incredible. Also, supposedly there were less than 10,000 people in EPCOT which sounds insane to me.

Enjoy your trip! :)

I’m not saying they’ll necessarily make a movie or series solely based on a book but they certainly could use pieces from the books.
They should do something with like an evil empire thingee that is taking over the universe, and they have a gigantic death moon or something, but some young person on an outlying planet discovers he/she/it has hereditary magical powers, which some nice old guy/gal/thing develops, then they join with some sort of opposing force--let's call them rebels--and they miraculously manage to destroy the death moon! Also, throw in some small cute creatures/androids, but no Gungans!

From what I have heard (I didn't go since I need my Dad to be in FL in order to take me to these things), it was a lot of fun. I heard the special fireworks that evening are incredible. Also, supposedly there were less than 10,000 people in EPCOT which sounds insane to me.

Thanks for sharing, I’ve never been to a DVC event before so I’m curious what there like.

Thanks for sharing, I’ve never been to a DVC event before so I’m curious what there like.
I have only been to the Magic Kingdom party. If the EPCOT one is anything like the party at the Magic Kingdom, you will have a great time. It's like getting a Disney After Hours Event for free except for the free snacks (however we got a free quick service meal at the Magic Kingdom Party. I assume it's the same at EPCOT but not sure).

That would be very out of character for Lucasfilm to do a movie based on one of their books.

There were books covering the time period of the new trilogy, and they ignored everything in them.

As it stands now, the books are just kind of filling time in between the movies.

They could look at the books they de-canonized, but I doubt it.

Since Disney took over Lucasfilm I believe all the previous written stuff (books, comics etc) were thrown out and became the Star Wars Legends universe. They then worked on rebuilding the universe canon 're-mastering' ideas that work like Thrawn ... so Thrawn did sort of come from the new Trilogy time period but was brought back into canon before Episode 4. As far as I know Disney hasn't done any books in the Old Republic era yet? If so, then there is technically no Old Republic era to speak of yet.

I'm thinking this is where the new movies may focus. But I don't know how how good some of the Old Republic material is to adapt to new canon stories. Like many other fans, I'm not so confident in Benioff and Weiss' ability to write original material, based off how GoT has gone of the rails after passing the books' plot

I’m in WDW right now and I’m going to the DVC party at Epcot on the 20th. Was it fun?

It was fun - pretty much everything was open, relatively short lines (~15 mins for Soarin, a bit more for Test Track and Frozen) - though we opted to do more of the smaller rides (was kind of neat to ride Living with the land at night) and you got a voucher for a meal (we went to the Fish and Chips shop), were handing out Mickey bars as much as you wanted. They had characters out - not that many truly unique characters, but the Fab 5 were in various costumes - like Daisy in a Norwegian outfit. And then they did a special Fireworks show and the finale felt like they used as many fireworks in the last 30 secs as in the rest of the show combined. Also had a DJ out by the fountains doing a dance party.

I mean, considering it is free to DVC members, I think it was pretty darn good

Not sure how many people, but definitely less than a typical day but felt like more than like the paid after hours events. It wasn't *empty* but wasn't packed either. Also, people were in the table service restaurants so everyone that was there was there for the rides and characters, etc. so maybe only 10K people, but they were all doing similar things (if that makes sense - just comparing it to a standard day

So don't expect to just walk on to every ride, but definitely smaller crowds.

Also, just nice to be there late when it isn't like 95 degrees

They should do something with like an evil empire thingee that is taking over the universe, and they have a gigantic death moon or something, but some young person on an outlying planet discovers he/she/it has hereditary magical powers, which some nice old guy/gal/thing develops, then they join with some sort of opposing force--let's call them rebels--and they miraculously manage to destroy the death moon! Also, throw in some small cute creatures/androids, but no Gungans!

I like this premise ... any chance that young person be found on a desert like planet? I think that would give it a unique spin

Great news - my kids (and I) absolutely love this show!!!

Though created some interesting discussions with my kids when we watched the episode focused on Ethics. They posed the question "If there was a train that was about to kill 3 people and you could flip a switch to move it to another track where it would only kill 1 person would you do it? What if that one person was your Grandmother?"

For the DuckTales fans out there (I'm old school from the orginal series) ... Disney started rapidly burning off new episodes over the past two weeks with a new ep every day. I have it set to DVR any new eps, and all the sudden I stared seeing new episodes daily. It caught me off guard as I figured they would air weekly, but I guess in this age of binge watching they're dropping all the eps in one shot.

For the DuckTales fans out there (I'm old school from the orginal series) ... Disney started rapidly burning off new episodes over the past two weeks with a new ep every day. I have it set to DVR any new eps, and all the sudden I stared seeing new episodes daily. It caught me off guard as I figured they would air weekly, but I guess in this age of binge watching they're dropping all the eps in one shot.
Ya .. that caught me off guard as well. Even though my DVR was set .. it somehow missed the first episode of this new half-season. I was shocked to see how many new episodes I have loaded up after just a week.

Disney channel just airs things at weird times and weird schedules. (Like airing new shows during the summer or premiering them on a Sunday night (like Star Wars Resistance). I NEVER know when things are truly airing for the first time.

I think you are right .. they just know in this era of binge-watching, that unless it is an "event" show (like Game of Thrones) people aren't tuning in to watch a show LIVE. People either DVR stuff now or just watch things on Disney Now! app (which I often forget exists).

Ya .. that caught me off guard as well. Even though my DVR was set .. it somehow missed the first episode of this new half-season. I was shocked to see how many new episodes I have loaded up after just a week.

Disney channel just airs things at weird times and weird schedules. (Like airing new shows during the summer or premiering them on a Sunday night (like Star Wars Resistance). I NEVER know when things are truly airing for the first time.

I think you are right .. they just know in this era of binge-watching, that unless it is an "event" show (like Game of Thrones) people aren't tuning in to watch a show LIVE. People either DVR stuff now or just watch things on Disney Now! app (which I often forget exists).

yeah, my kids like the new Duck Tales but they basically just watch stuff on the Disney Now! app via a roku (the TV in the play room only has access to streaming stuff) - and new shows seem to get on there pretty quick relative to when on TV (sometimes seems like even earlier than television premiers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!