News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that the site "who must not be named" is reporting a rumor that the Country Bear Jamboree is to be closed. We typically do it every trip and would be appalled/disgusted if it in fact is closed. Greed wins out over a Disney Classic...shocking I know (said tongue firmly in cheek).
Given who the source is here, I’m taking this at as much face value as a bus driver rumor. If a more reputable source picks it up I’ll be concerned

Greed as this ties into a current, well used IP, that results in even more sales for merchandise whereas sales of Country Bear merchandise I'd think is pretty low.

not sure how low - it does have a pretty passionate fan base (if not huge) and how much more Toy Story Merch would they sell by spending money on this overlay vs just having more Toy Story Merch available without the overlay? Seems more like spending money to attract more people to an attraction with generally pretty low attendance - vs like an upsell or charging for something that used to be free strikes me more as "greed"

I'll premise my comments by saying, I don't have anything against the Country Bears necessarily, but that attraction was a one and done for me. While the current rumor might not be true, the fact of the matter is, if there aren't butts in the seats, at some point, Disney is going to make the call to redo, retheme, or revamp it. That is prime real estate in Magic Kingdom that isn't being used to its capacity. There's just no getting around that. It's not to slight a classic, it's just a logical change to make. It will be the same when they inevitably do something to the Carousel of Progress, which I love, but I recognize that the theater is not even half full every single time I sit through it.

I'll premise my comments by saying, I don't have anything against the Country Bears necessarily, but that attraction was a one and done for me. While the current rumor might not be true, the fact of the matter is, if there aren't butts in the seats, at some point, Disney is going to make the call to redo, retheme, or revamp it. That is prime real estate in Magic Kingdom that isn't being used to its capacity. There's just no getting around that. It's not to slight a classic, it's just a logical change to make. It will be the same when they inevitably do something to the Carousel of Progress, which I love, but I recognize that the theater is not even half full every single time I sit through it.

I do think there are some attractions that are basically historical/heritage sites at this point - with Carousel of Progress and the Tiki Room at Disneyland being key ones. The Country Bears is borderline to me for that. So I hope they stay just for historical reasons (even if not in their current location but move to more of a "museum" type setting, that is fine)

But I do agree with you that we can't be surprised if they are going to change something that doesn't get a lot of visitors - same thing with like Universe of Energy - even if some people loved it, it doesn't make sense to leave it as is if it is 1/2 empty most of the time

One day Toy Story will be a classic, old and quaint. And the world turns.

The first Toy Story is 24? years old now. It's not even current IP, its generational IP now.
With due respect please tell me how current time toys fits into Frontier land? It doesn't. You could maybe stretch it to focus on Woody's round up maybe...but fact is it simply does not fit. This rumor makes no sense at all

I do think there are some attractions that are basically historical/heritage sites at this point - with Carousel of Progress and the Tiki Room at Disneyland being key ones. The Country Bears is borderline to me for that. So I hope they stay just for historical reasons (even if not in their current location but move to more of a "museum" type setting, that is fine)

But I do agree with you that we can't be surprised if they are going to change something that doesn't get a lot of visitors - same thing with like Universe of Energy - even if some people loved it, it doesn't make sense to leave it as is if it is 1/2 empty most of the time
I would think these attractions would see a huge resurgance in popularity during the 50th anniversary celebration.

No need to replace them unless they think they replacement would draw HUGE crowds ..and I cant think of ANY show-style attraction (even a new one) that would draw huge crowds.

With due respect please tell me how current time toys fits into Frontier land? It doesn't. You could maybe stretch it to focus on Woody's round up maybe...but fact is it simply does not fit. This rumor makes no sense at all

That's the only way I can see it. But they have Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland which is in desperate need of upgrading. I get it but I don't like it. The Country Bears might be hokey or whatever but the charm and humor in that show is really what makes it. I would be pretty disappointed if this was actually true.

You can't tell me you can't see a whole show based on Woody and a cowboy theme? C'mon. It would probably be pretty cool too with some state of the art tech.

I like the Country Bears, but my wife and son absolutely refuse to go on it with me...LOL. They tried it our very first trip and now it's a no go. So they will be rejoicing if this is true. For me it's a cute attraction I remember from my childhood, but I can't go on it now so I'm impartial to this rumor.

Is that a big problem for Disney? Tomorrow Land has Stitch (it's an alien, so I guess, right?), and Buzz (blasters are from future, guys), while Future World is getting GotG.

I'd like to think they care, but I don't think they care.

I'll concede I wasn't thinking of woody's round up. That could work. I'll also concede that disney has stretched the theme in several places. I don't think a straight up toy story overlay would play well there, but a Woody/cowboy theme could certainly work as well as country bears.
However if we are going to go on the premise of under utilized real estate getting a revamp, Stitch's attraction should be well ahead on the priority list. There is certainly other low hanging fruit in the park as well(Robinson's tree house, tomorrowland speedway etc.). We've also had a theatre announced and postponed, which would have soaked up a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!