News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hollywood needs to learn(remember) that a 90 minute movie is still okay. The Dumbo remake is a great example of a movie that just went on and on and on for no real reason.
The Dumbo remake is on the shorter end. Dumbo the animated version is really short. By a quick look the Dumbo remake seems to be the shortest of all the remakes so far.

Critic reviews of The Lion King aren't fantastic. Praise for the tech, not a lot for the story. Seems like critics are either unhappy that it is so shot for shot, or annoyed that where it doesn't go shot for shot they added 30 minutes that don't seem to improve on the original. Still, several critics, while being critical, expect it to make a mint regardless of their opinions.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lion-king-reviews-what-critics-are-saying-1223862

"Still, several critics, while being critical, expect it to make a mint regardless of their opinions."

and thus why they keep making these remakes

I had no interest in seeing this from the start, but I know a lot of people were really looking forward to it so I am still not happy that reviews are less than stellar ... but sometimes critics are off from what the general population feels

Hollywood needs to learn(remember) that a 90 minute movie is still okay. The Dumbo remake is a great example of a movie that just went on and on and on for no real reason.
I don't disagree but as the cost of tickets go up, some people expect more entertainment. This is part of my problem with going to movie theaters these days. They charge the same $15 ticket for 3 hours of special effects and star laden Endgame as they charge for 90 minutes of entry level rom com. Theaters are one of the last bastions where you don't actually pay for quality or quantity, you simply pay the same for all of it.

I expect dynamic pricing is only a few years out and I think I've even seen it tested at a few theaters already. It's the only way I can think of to really keep theaters viable. I fully expect within the next 5 years when you get an Endgame type movie opening, you are going to pay $50 for opening night primetime, $40 for off hours on opening night and then see it drop quickly through the first weekend. Whereas the ticket for a theater showing an opening mid-level rom com is going to be $15 and a second weekend Endgame will probably have fallen to something like $20 at primetime and $15 to fill the rest of the hours.

I don't disagree but as the cost of tickets go up, some people expect more entertainment. This is part of my problem with going to movie theaters these days. They charge the same $15 ticket for 3 hours of special effects and star laden Endgame as they charge for 90 minutes of entry level rom com. Theaters are one of the last bastions where you don't actually pay for quality or quantity, you simply pay the same for all of it.

I expect dynamic pricing is only a few years out and I think I've even seen it tested at a few theaters already. It's the only way I can think of to really keep theaters viable. I fully expect within the next 5 years when you get an Endgame type movie opening, you are going to pay $50 for opening night primetime, $40 for off hours on opening night and then see it drop quickly through the first weekend. Whereas the ticket for a theater showing an opening mid-level rom com is going to be $15 and a second weekend Endgame will probably have fallen to something like $20 at primetime and $15 to fill the rest of the hours.

I guess one angle of price difference is I would pay more for the better theater (better/bigger screen, better sound, etc.) for like an Endgame, vs a rom-com where I don't care about that ... but even with that the price difference isn't that much and one reason I am pretty selective in what I see in the theaters - if there is no benefit to seeing it on the big screen or feeling I *really* need to see it opening weekend, I am just going to wait until I can watch it at home

I guess one angle of price difference is I would pay more for the better theater (better/bigger screen, better sound, etc.) for like an Endgame, vs a rom-com where I don't care about that ... but even with that the price difference isn't that much and one reason I am pretty selective in what I see in the theaters - if there is no benefit to seeing it on the big screen or feeling I *really* need to see it opening weekend, I am just going to wait until I can watch it at home
Oh I agree. We simply don't go unless it's something I think will be best viewed on the big screen, which is almost exclusively special effects laden tentpoles. And that's why I think dynamic pricing is coming. Because theaters can't survive just on those tentpoles. If there are enough to survive, they cannibalize themselves. If there aren't, then they can't make it anyway. So the pricing has to change. And yes, I'll pay up for a reserved sofa seat, table and drink service, and top notch audio visuals to go with my special effects. Either that, or I'll wait for it to go to the cheap theater, which is only a few steps up from my living room, but only costs marginally more than renting anyway...

IIRC, after the hurricane Six Flags started moving rides out and the city got an injection against them to prevent any more ride movement. The city was then seeking damages for their failure to reopen. Does the park have any classic coasters? Out side of classic coasters Knoebels is probably more likely than ACE to save something. Unfortantly most will likely be sold for scrap.
The Mayor has tried to force Six Flags to rebuild as per the lease, but they couldn’t be forced to pay anything more than the insurance payout. And they had received less than $25 million, which wasn’t enough to essentially rebuild the entire park. Katrina hit August of 2005. They removed Batman in 2007, Bayou Blaster/ Sonic Slam dual ride in 2008, and Road Runner Express in 2009, just before they ended the lease of the park.

ACE had attempted to save some rides before, but they are all seriously damaged. And the park was closed before finishing its 6th year, so not really enough time for a ride to become a classic. Batman is really the closest thing they had to a classic, since it opened 10 years before the park before moving there from Japan’s Thrill Valley. But it was the first thing saved, since it was only lightly damaged.

Multiple companies have attempted to save Mega Zeph or reopen the park, but they all came to the conclusion that it was too far gone already.

News

Chewbacca and Kylo-Ren meet and greets in Disney’s Hollywood Studios have gone to Digital Photopass Photographers. No Cast Member taking pictures in these meet & greets.

BB-8 still has the Cast Member Photopass Photographer.
What is this???? It's been a couple of years since I was at WDW.. What is Digital Photopass Photographers??? not real people??? I do not understand. Please educate me.. and why are they undesirable? bad photos? limited to one photo?

I expect dynamic pricing is only a few years out and I think I've even seen it tested at a few theaters already.
A theater in my area started using dynamic pricing about one year ago. The less expensive matinee prices are now only offered on Monday through Thursday afternoons. Full price is charged on all shows during Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. There is a premium of $2 to $3 added to ticket prices for major holidays such as Christmas and Easter.

What is this???? It's been a couple of years since I was at WDW.. What is Digital Photopass Photographers??? not real people??? I do not understand. Please educate me.. and why are they undesirable? bad photos? limited to one photo?
It's a box with a camera inside. It takes multiple shots while you're interacting with the characters, but obviously can't capture the best angles/moments since it's just a camera in a box.

I don't know that I could see that high for tickets.

One thing that's been interesting is watching movie prices fluctuate over the years. It's gone up and then back down. People are fickle and I do agree a big hit to the theater industry is the various ways we watch things these days but theaters are still price sensitive to people.

I think in some ways the industry has been smart with higher pricing for their Premium-style stuff but even that's adjusted in pricing over time. For instance Fork&Screen used to be more expensive than a normal showing at my fav local AMC;it's the same price now as a regular showing with Cinema Suites being slightly more in cost. However the pricing on the menus for the Dine-In theaters has gone up and done over time and at one point was a flat dollar amount then they went away from that.

The movie theater industry def. has expanded what the 'normal' movie outing experience has been in the past though.

I don't know that I could see that high for tickets.

One thing that's been interesting is watching movie prices fluctuate over the years. It's gone up and then back down. People are fickle and I do agree a big hit to the theater industry is the various ways we watch things these days but theaters are still price sensitive to people.

I think in some ways the industry has been smart with higher pricing for their Premium-style stuff but even that's adjusted in pricing over time. For instance Fork&Screen used to be more expensive than a normal showing at my fav local AMC;it's the same price now as a regular showing with Cinema Suites being slightly more in cost. However the pricing on the menus for the Dine-In theaters has gone up and done over time and at one point was a flat dollar amount then they went away from that.

The movie theater industry def. has expanded what the 'normal' movie outing experience has been in the past though.
We pay $30 per ticket already now, I wouldn’t be shocked to see them rise to $40-50 over the next few years for the more desired showtimes.

We pay $30 per ticket already now, I wouldn’t be shocked to see them rise to $40-50 over the next few years for the more desired showtimes.
Outside of something like Force Awakens coming out after decades of Star Wars movie drought, I can't think of any movie I'd pay $50 to see in the theater. I'll wait and watch it in the comfort of my home on my big TV... like I do with most movies already. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!