News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
With what's about to go down in Hong Kong with the authorities about to go all Tienanmen Square on the protesters, I'd hope Disney Corporate would have a response because it's gonna look real bad on them if they stay silent when it hits the fan. I know they dumped a ton of capital into Shanghai Disneyland and have the Hong Kong DL park still going, but maybe it's time to pull out/sell off. I don't know, I'm just rambling. Hard to be morally just when we all get our stuff made in China....
Disney is already minority owner in this park. They are heavily investing currently in the product. Even if they sold off Disney would likely still have a licensing agreement similar Tokyo but I don't see that happening.

With what's about to go down in Hong Kong with the authorities about to go all Tienanmen Square on the protesters, I'd hope Disney Corporate would have a response because it's gonna look real bad on them if they stay silent when it hits the fan. I know they dumped a ton of capital into Shanghai Disneyland and have the Hong Kong DL park still going, but maybe it's time to pull out/sell off. I don't know, I'm just rambling. Hard to be morally just when we all get our stuff made in China....
There is zero chance of them pulling out or selling out. They might make a mildly condemning statement depending on what happens, but that's about it. Don't get your hopes up. China is a massive market and a country we have to find a way to get along with going forward. Yes, they have a different government system and yes we don't always like how they govern, but there is nothing new about that and we have turned blind eyes to just about every important market in the world since WWII. Disney is not going to commit market suicide in China unless there is a full blown civil war, which won't happen, or China forces their hand by nationalizing assets, which is extremely unlikely.

I really wish that Lego sets were remotely reasonably priced. This is gorgeous but at $329 - it's a pass.

There seems to be a Disney tax on this one as well since the price-per-brick aint fantastic[1], but I figure at ~3000 pieces that's probably a 12 hour build for an average person. That's about $30 an hour, which isn't *totally* nuts when compared to some forms of entertainment. At $280 this would have been a decent enough deal if Lego is your thing, and a couple of years back I'd have been all over this as a daddy/daughter project. $330 is pushing it though.

That said. It will sell. They moved the $800 Millennium Falcons, so... Just like Disney proper: we all ask "who would pay that" then watch the lines form.

[1] ignoring the fact that the average price-per-brick is already hard to justify unless their ABS contains unobtainium, and the dyes are synthesized from unicorn tears maybe HP inkjet printer ink.

LEGOs have been $0.10/brick for a couple decades at least. With a premium for electronics. So this is right in line at ~3000 pieces.

They get you by constantly making sets with smaller and smaller average piece sizes, so instead of 1 brink that’s 8 across you use 2 that are 4 across.

There seems to be a Disney tax on this one as well since the price-per-brick aint fantastic[1], but I figure at ~3000 pieces that's probably a 12 hour build for an average person. That's about $30 an hour, which isn't *totally* nuts when compared to some forms of entertainment. At $280 this would have been a decent enough deal if Lego is your thing, and a couple of years back I'd have been all over this as a daddy/daughter project. $330 is pushing it though.

That said. It will sell. They moved the $800 Millennium Falcons, so... Just like Disney proper: we all ask "who would pay that" then watch the lines form.

[1] ignoring the fact that the average price-per-brick is already hard to justify unless their ABS contains unobtainium, and the dyes are synthesized from unicorn tears maybe HP inkjet printer ink.

I think it is the Disney Tax and also the train is motorized.

I generally look at it to cost about 10 cents a piece ... So this should cost around $290 - but Disney Tax and motor gets you to $330. So probably appropriate price, but still costly

Oh. My. Gosh. I am so excited for this.

I'd like to know when they are in the other parks filming segments. I'd assume the entire day before. I'm also wondering if they will really setup at the castle or if they could somehow do it from the train station. I also just can't see them broadcasting this to the live crowd and pumping in all that noise and video.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...sort-to-kick-off-the-college-football-season/
I was surprised to not see this posted yet. I'm interested in how they'll handle this. Will crowds be let in early? Will they have the welcoming show? I don't see how they could as that's almost certainly where Gameday will have to set up. I also wonder how much more restrictive signs will be. I definitely plan to go.

Also just realizing this is D23 weekend. I wonder if they will incorporate either one into each other. Like making some sort of announcement. Maybe D+ related since it would include ESPN+.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!