News Round Up 2020

I'm wondering how it will work for NBA players who are Canadian if they came back to Canada. Will they be able to cross the border to play with their teams?

There are still flights between the two countries
The NHL has been in talks about how it'll work so I'm sure the raptors have beem as well. I think more of the issue would be players needing to get to canada, which seems to be more of the nhls concern with their looking at playing games in edmonton than with players going to the us.

Plus teams have their own planes so can more easilyy control everything. I can't see it being an issue or toronto would have voted no along with pdx. I also think given what it'll mean to habe the teams playing and the revenue it'll bring, at least for hockey, along with the safety measures the leagues are doing along with the bubbles, that they won't be kept from crossing. In the grand scheme it's not that many people and I think would cauae much more anger for blocking the travel than it may cause by letting them in or out and not regular travel.

Absolutely fascinating that June 6th date. For all of you who are trying to read tea leaves as to when the new reservation system will be ready.
I’d like to think so, but from what we’ve been hearing from Remy and others, they’re having quite a lot of difficulties with the IT on the new system, so I don’t think they’re only a couple days away from releasing the new system

There are still flights between the two countries
The NHL has been in talks about how it'll work so I'm sure the raptors have beem as well. I think more of the issue would be players needing to get to canada, which seems to be more of the nhls concern with their looking at playing games in edmonton than with players going to the us.

Plus teams have their own planes so can more easilyy control everything. I can't see it being an issue or toronto would have voted no along with pdx. I also think given what it'll mean to habe the teams playing and the revenue it'll bring, at least for hockey, along with the safety measures the leagues are doing along with the bubbles, that they won't be kept from crossing. In the grand scheme it's not that many people and I think would cauae much more anger for blocking the travel than it may cause by letting them in or out and not regular travel.

I was just reading a TSN article that explained the US-resident Raptors were likely to report directly to Orlando, and the Canadian-resident players and staff would join them there for the training camp. Because of the 14 day quarantines in effect, they wouldn’t be bothering to bring anyone to Toronto just to turn around and go back the States.

I also read on TSN a while back that the Jays might use Dunedin as their “home” field since it’s familiar ground for them.

As the only Canadian teams in their leagues, this makes the most sense. Sucks for Canadian sports fans, but logistically it works better for the teams.

The big problem is going to be the NHL. There’s more Canadian teams and players than in the other pro sports. And, sadly, our dapper but fearful leader Justin seemingly isn’t a sports fan (nor is the Toronto mayor) so although Canada (and Toronto) is set up really really well for hockey tournaments of a format similar to what the NBA is doing, we are unlikely to be one of the hub cities. Our politicians have stated they won’t be making exceptions to any of the health restrictions and quarantines and such, not even to try to attract the spending a tournament of this nature would bring. Our teams will likely have to relocate to the States and not return until after the season was over. Boo. I miss hockey almost as much as I miss Disney.

I was just reading a TSN article that explained the US-resident Raptors were likely to report directly to Orlando, and the Canadian-resident players and staff would join them there for the training camp. Because of the 14 day quarantines in effect, they wouldn’t be bothering to bring anyone to Toronto just to turn around and go back the States.

I also read on TSN a while back that the Jays might use Dunedin as their “home” field since it’s familiar ground for them.

As the only Canadian teams in their leagues, this makes the most sense. Sucks for Canadian sports fans, but logistically it works better for the teams.

The big problem is going to be the NHL. There’s more Canadian teams and players than in the other pro sports. And, sadly, our dapper but fearful leader Justin seemingly isn’t a sports fan (nor is the Toronto mayor) so although Canada (and Toronto) is set up really really well for hockey tournaments of a format similar to what the NBA is doing, we are unlikely to be one of the hub cities. Our politicians have stated they won’t be making exceptions to any of the health restrictions and quarantines and such, not even to try to attract the spending a tournament of this nature would bring. Our teams will likely have to relocate to the States and not return until after the season was over. Boo. I miss hockey almost as much as I miss Disney.

At this point there isn't going to be an MLB season so it doesn't much matter, and not all teams were looking to use their home stadium anyway. I know the Mariners were looking to use their spring training facility and it's where they've been having individual work outs.

I'd thought the NHL was trying to use Edmonton because Alberta had been hit less hard and that the province and/or city was receptive to it.

Since no fans will be attending any sports events any time soon, them playing at all should be beneficial. No one in Toronto would have been going to games anyway. If we get baseball that'l be what I want, I don't care if they are playing here or elsewhere as long as I can watch the games on tv.

No suprise that they are having issues with the reservation system since Disney got rid of most of there true in house IT and outsourced most of it to Tata Consultancy after the my disney exeperience and magic band was all done. I am sure alot of the original code knowledge is lost right now and are having to be rediscovered.

At this point there isn't going to be an MLB season so it doesn't much matter, and not all teams were looking to use their home stadium anyway. I know the Mariners were looking to use their spring training facility and it's where they've been having individual work outs.

I'd thought the NHL was trying to use Edmonton because Alberta had been hit less hard and that the province and/or city was receptive to it.

Since no fans will be attending any sports events any time soon, them playing at all should be beneficial. No one in Toronto would have been going to games anyway. If we get baseball that'l be what I want, I don't care if they are playing here or elsewhere as long as I can watch the games on tv.

I hadn’t been following recent MLB updates, so I wasn’t aware they were cancelling. Is that official now?

Alberta can want hockey all they like, but if Justin won’t let teams in without the 14 day quarantine then the NHL isn’t likely to choose Edmonton. Sadly.

I realize games are no-fans, but having the teams here would bring revenue in to the hotels, dining, etc. within the bubble. Likely the reason Disney has wooed the NBA and MLS to WWoS. They’d try for the NHL too, if they had rinks. LOL. It’s a safe way to boost revenue. Local businesses in all areas can use the income, especially restaurants (Even if they just cater meals en masse) and hotels.

A question the spirts talk just brought to mind.

Canada has had in place since mid-March, a mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone who enters the country. Is the US doing anything similar or, are people free to move about as soon as they arrive in the US?

I hadn’t been following recent MLB updates, so I wasn’t aware they were cancelling. Is that official now?

No but the league turned down the players unions last proposal and didn't counter with anything so it's looking bleak. And their regular CBA is up very soon so it's all bad.

I wasn't aware there was a quarantine period in Canada. The only ones I'm aware of are in Hawaii and then the one in Florida. I haven't heard of WA having one and we share a border. I'm guessing as it's open for essential stuff that the quarantine doesn't affect truck drivers that need to cross the border to deliver otherwise nothing would get up there except by ship or maybe train since you could make them both stay on since there's restrooms and stuff on board.

Essential services workers can cross without quarantining but everyone else has to.

IF the border is open and we choose to take our Disney trip, there is a high possibility we will need to quarantine for 14 days when we return. It plays into many Canadians travel plans for sure!!

Quick update for people wondering about status of some new rides and if they will be open when parks open. (and by "parks" I mean "Busch Gardens and Sea World", and by "if they will be open" I mean "no")

SeaWorld has suggested they might be holding back on opening some of their 2020 coasters until 2021. Although SeaWorld Orlando has already begun receiving parts for their 2021 rumored B&M Surf coaster.

Interesting article about how the NBA plan came together:

I didn't realize Bob Iger and Chris Paul (head of the players association) had an existing mentoring relationship

Also this quote from Iger "It's just sort of coincidental. I've got this relationship with Chris, I have this relationship with Adam, and I happen to have run the Walt Disney Company for a while. So it all kind of comes together in trying to figure out how we get the NBA back."

I like how he says "I happen to have run the Walt Disney Company for a while" like I would say "I happen to have some extra glue sticks"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter