News Round Up 2020

Where are these mythical places that actually show movies ... in a theater?

My local drive-in is open. They’re doing a double feature of Empire Strikes Back (1980’s version) and Black Panther along with Inside Out and Ghostbusters (1984).

Edit:

I checked and realized that there are two theaters within driving distance near me that have opened. At both places they’re only open on the weekends and tickets are $5. At one they’re doing popcorn by pre-order only. The screenings are very limited, 2 per movie per day.

One advertised renting out the auditorium for $250 for a private showing of Star Wars. The other is offering auditorium rentals for $50 an hour (2 hour minimum) so you can play video games on the silver screen. It looks like they’re spraying the seats with sanitizer.

Last edited:
My local drive-in is open. They’re doing a double feature of Empire Strikes Back (1980’s version) and Black Panther along with Inside Out and Ghostbusters (1984).

Edit:

I checked and realized that there are two theaters within driving distance near me that have opened. At both places they’re only open on the weekends and tickets are $5. At one they’re doing popcorn by pre-order only. The screenings are very limited, 2 per movie per day.

One advertised renting out the auditorium for $250 for a private showing of Star Wars. The other is offering auditorium rentals for $50 an hour (2 hour minimum) so you can play video games on the silver screen. It looks like they’re spraying the seats with sanitizer.
We have a local drive-in showing a double feature of Goonies and Gremlins.

Edit:

I was talking with my BIL about whether or not any theaters would open for rentals. I'll have to look into that. Unfortunately, the closest drive-in is about 2 hours from me, not really doable with a toddler this time of the year.

Any one have an opening weekend report? I looked at the wait times in the app, and they looked pretty high for how limited the crowds supposively were.

Our Theater In the Park that would normally do stage productions is doing instead this summer a movies in the park with a total of 9 movies social distance style with a set limit of tickets for each showing and circles painted in the grass for your party and a large projection screen that they show the movie on. The local community college is sponsoring it. Last night was Frozen II. Had a great time with some DISers there and it seemed to work quite well; seemed like a good activity to get the young kids out of the house in nature. They said though with the licensing they can't do rain checks. Other Disney company owned movies they'll be showing this summer is Muppet Christmas Carol, Moana and The Mighty Ducks.

There's at least one Drive-In in the area too that has been showing movies for several months now? Can't remember when they reopened.

Our drive-ins opened about a month ago - they have been offering a mix of newer and older movies, and it's been great! The one closest to my house had Jaws and Goonies as a double feature this weekend :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter