News Round Up 2020

I agree to an extent. The cuts/layoffs did not need to be this bad. Obviously Disneyland not being open doesn't help but Disney could also open some of these things if they wanted. Something like Laugh Floor could be done. An outdoor theater like BatB could also be utilized. DHS is a park that really needs it too. You have the terrible optics of Disney executives making millions as well.
So it seems like they just are re-opening the "cheapest" equity shows. Is that why Frozen was re-opened but nothing else was at DHS (which .. like you said .. desperately needs another attraction) ... Frozen has a small cast (compared to the other shows). But I agree seems like they could easily re-open BatB or even Laugh Floor (which takes what? one actor behind the scenes?).

And why isn't Laugh Floor open? The actor who does the voices is equity I guess? But I would think that theater is large enough to have a socially distant crowd with no issues.

But .. I guess until WDW has more crowds, they have no reason to pay actors and re-open these shows :(.

Any idea if they actually own the land or if it is leased? That land is probably worth a fortune, and IIRC that wasn't really a booming park even in normal times.
They purchased the land last year for $150 Million.

They are busy enough in the parks. They just can’t justify the cost of staying onsite to enough people or attract enough people that need a hotel.
They are for values though. AoA opens in days and then All-Star Movies in February. That should be telling in how much people are looking to spend right now too. Disney isn't skimping on ads right now either. I see one commercial a day at least.

Any idea if they actually own the land or if it is leased? That land is probably worth a fortune, and IIRC that wasn't really a booming park even in normal times.

Got to be worth a ton. I only went once when I lived in SF/SJ and it was for a fundraiser. It would have been fall 98 or 00 and one of the fraternities that my sorority did events with was working there for the day as a fundraiser and needed more people so a few of us went. I don't remember what the others did, but none was in food service and I'm pretty sure it was other rides. But I got to operate the scrambler I think it was. Make sure all the bars were locked and push the button. It still doesn't seem real or safe. We did get to go on whatever the big coaster at the time was when we were done but that's the only ride I remember doing.

I liked the Santa Cruz boardwalk more but that's because of the wooden coaster they have.

And why isn't Laugh Floor open? The actor who does the voices is equity I guess? But I would think that theater is large enough to have a socially distant crowd with no issues.

The only thing with Laugh Floor that could be an issue is a cast member has to hold a microphone to an audience member so they can speak, so they'd have to find a social distancing way around it

Plexiglass does not make it safe to have people closer together. I can’t believe they’re doing this. If I had known they were going to create unsafe situations I would have cancelled my pass.
How does this not make it safer to have more people on the ride? That plexiglass along with masks would block any droplets whatsoever. This is in no way any more unsafe than being at Disney during COVID to begin with.

The only thing with Laugh Floor that could be an issue is a cast member has to hold a microphone to an audience member so they can speak, so they'd have to find a social distancing way around it
There are attachments for microphones that look like long selfie-sticks. You see them used quite a lot during news interviews.

I think the major factor for the Equity layoffs (including the talent at Laugh Floor) is $$$. That show is one of my favorites, and I hope it returns at some point.

There are attachments for microphones that look like long selfie-sticks. You see them used quite a lot during news interviews.

I think the major factor for the Equity layoffs (including the talent at Laugh Floor) is $$$. That show is one of my favorites, and I hope it returns at some point.
While I'm not disagreeing with the long stick attachments for the mic, I would think it would be the mic itself that would be a problem. I'm sure news stations using those mics for interviews are having to sanitize the mic between each interview, something that would be a challenge to do at WDW.

Ya .. I said the same thing in another thread. Until Disney NEEDS the entertainment (to spread the crowds) .. why pay higher paid actors to do a show (that will be lightly attended) when they have cheaper employees to just run rides. It's a shame .. but it is a reality. No sense paying people for a job that isn't needed.

It's a shame for AK.. that park now has what? 9 ride/show attractions now? 8 if you don't count the train to PlanetWatch.

Ya .. I said the same thing in another thread. Until Disney NEEDS the entertainment (to spread the crowds) .. why pay higher paid actors to do a show (that will be lightly attended) when they have cheaper employees to just run rides. It's a shame .. but it is a reality. No sense paying people for a job that isn't needed.

It's a shame for AK.. that park now has what? 9 ride/show attractions now? 8 if you don't count the train to PlanetWatch.

Animal Kingdom though is still prob the most expensive Park to run with diminished crowds because of the Animal Care Costs, I wonder how many tickets daily need to be sold for that park to break even on care costs.

Animal Kingdom though is still prob the most expensive Park to run with diminished crowds because of the Animal Care Costs, I wonder how many tickets daily need to be sold for that park to break even on care costs.

though I think they would have a lot of those animal care costs even if they don't open the gates to the parks - unless they just shutter the park and get rid of the animals

The costs to run AK must be staggering. The Birmingham Zoo, here in town, estimated it costs $30K a day in fixed costs. It's a fraction of AK in terms of animals and exhibits and infrastructure. I would not have a hard time believing that just the animal care, feeding, and environmental controls at AK run more than $100K a day in fixed costs.

Birmingham Zoo number quoted here: https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...o-offset-an-elephant-sized-plunge-in-revenues

How does this not make it safer to have more people on the ride? That plexiglass along with masks would block any droplets whatsoever. This is in no way any more unsafe than being at Disney during COVID to begin with.

Air flow can circulate exhaled breaths any direction, including up and over. Distance is the safest thing. I really doubt that Disney has studied the airflow in each location to ensure that airflow isn’t spreading exhaled breaths beyond the plexiglass.

Air flow can circulate exhaled breaths any direction, including up and over. Distance is the safest thing. I really doubt that Disney has studied the airflow in each location to ensure that airflow isn’t spreading exhaled breaths beyond the plexiglass.

Air yes. Moisture droplets in air not so much. I work in air conditioning, one of the ways to get moisture out of air is just making it do a 90 degree turn upward. Covid can be aerosolized, but it's much more commonly in droplets.

Well by this logic we would need plexiglass shoved 6 feet in the ground and 100ft high, which is a ridiculous notion. Literally, for decades we have trusted sneeze guards on buffets, now all a sudden plexiglass is not good enough? I think anyone expecting Disney to make the parks a completely sterilized environment with every touch point sanitized with zero risk to anyone is just an unrealistic expectation.

Again, I think Disney is doing what it can to accommodate as many guests as safely as they can. They have to balance guest safety with guests expectations and satisfaction.

If you do not agree with Disney's choices, nobody is forcing you to go to any of the parks. However, suggesting it is any LESS safe with the additional plexiglass I believe is a bit disingenuous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter