Newsies on DVD

raidermatt

Be water, my friend.
This was recently released on DVD. Here's a link to a postive review of the DVD.

Newsies DVD Review

I'm curious what the opinions here are of this film.

I saw it for the first time on cable about a month ago, then again a few days ago. Before seeing it, the only thing I knew was that it had bombed in the theatres, and had been (I thought) universally panned by the critics. (Apparently Gene Siskel was at least one exception). I had heard one song, Sieze the Day, because its on one of our Classic Disney CDs.

I first have to say that I do enjoy musicals. I have DVDs of Singin in the Rain, Anchors Aweigh, An American in Paris, South Pacific, and various others.

I did enjoy Newsies as well. I went into it thinking the story was not really fit for a film, but found the plot interesting. I thought the performances were good in general. The songs were engaging, and the dancing at least OK. The only thing that seemed to be missing was that one truly electifying performer, a la Gene Kelly, who made you say "WOW!"

But overall, I think it deserved a better fate than it got. I think one problem was just that audiences are not at all accustomed to modern musical films. Even though I watch the "oldies" periodically, it was still a bit of a shock when the characters began to sing. I got over that rather quickly, but in a commercial or trailer format, that probably wouldn't happen (and obviously didn't for most people). In other words, my guess is a lot of people who might have otherwise enjoyed it saw the trailer or a commercial and said "What the (insert favorite expletive here)?!?!?"

Any other opinions?

This movie is great. I saw it recently on HBO. My family saw it in theatres attached to Beauty and the Beast. I loved it. My family had the soundtrack and we used to listen to it on long car rides. When I was in show choir senior year we went from Chicago to Disney to perform and we sang Sieze the Day. I definitely recommend this movie. I never understood why it made about 10 dollars at the box office.

The Newsies is one of my favorite movies, I love it.

I love newsies its it my all time favorite movie and i own the DVD video CD and the sheet music!!! and I am 25 years old:D

I love the movie. A few years ago when I saw it for the first time I didn't really understand it. Now I understand and love the cute newsies too ;) .

At the risk of dissenting, I found the movie to be pretty forgetable.... I, too, am a connseur of musicals, having grown up with Camelot, Singing in the Rain, Jesus Christ Superstar, etc. in the house. Newsies (what I remember of it) seemed to lack not only a defining performer, but a character that I cared about.

Still, everything is a matter of taste & I'm glad that those who like it are able to get ahold of it.

Sarangel

I love this movie. Always wondered why in the age of Disney putting on Broadway musicals why this one isn't in the mix. It would be awesome on stage.

I used to watch at least half of that movie EVERYDAY one summer. It was the best way to start my day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter