NEXUS questions

Yep. Directly from the application site...

PROOF OF IDENTITY

If you do not have a passport, you can get still a NEXUS Card, though it is not recommended because you will only be able to use it for driving across the border, not flying. The most common proof of identity that is not a passport is a Driver’s License.
https://nexuscardapplication.com/how-do-i-apply-for-a-nexus-card/

That site is misleading (it's not an official site), as you CAN use it for flying into the US without a passport, just depends on the airport.

From www.cpb.gov re: AIR entry:

All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from Canada. Please be advised that if arriving in the United States on a flight not pre-cleared by the CBP in Canada, Global entry kiosks cannot be used by passengers only holding a NEXUS card, and the regular inspection lanes have to be used.

Travel by Air: All Canadian Citizens entering the United States (U.S.) by AIR are required to present a valid passport. However, if entering the U.S., as a participant in the NEXUS program from a designated CBP Pre-Clearance location, a NEXUS card may be used in lieu of a passport.

The NEXUS card will be recognized by the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations only. When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations.

From speaking to CPB: you can fly into the US with Nexus only. If the flight is precleared, you can use the Global Entry kiosk. If the flight is not precleared, you have to go through regular inspection lanes. Not all employees however may be aware of this, and this seems to be where it gets iffy (where employees ask for passport instead of Nexus card). They say to check with your airline/airport.

NEXUS (US Pre-Clearance) is offered at the following airports:

• Halifax Robert L. Stanfield International Airport
  • Montréal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
  • Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport
  • Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
  • Calgary International Airport
  • Edmonton International Airport
  • Vancouver International Airport

Re: LAND entry:

- A Nexus card can be used at all ports of entry in lieu of a passport. If the port has a Nexus lane, then obviously you can use that. If they don't, you just show the border guard you Nexus card like you would your passport.

Nexus renewals seem to be happening quicker now. I applied for my renewal June 25th and had card in hand July 22nd. My daughter applied for her renewal July 30 and received her approval yesterday (August 5th). She should have her card in hand sometime next week.

Seems like the backlog has been cleared up.

My children are apply to receive their card. They go into the Cdn nexus site and says $50 US but when they apply it kicks them to the American Nexus site it says it’s $125 service fee plus the $50. Is this new now? I only paid the $50 a few years back

The site says kids under 18 are free. Adults are $50. If you're getting charged a service fee you might be on a 3rd party site. My mom nearly fell for this until I got her to do her application at cbp.gov

I haven't read the whole thread but nexus was the BEST thing we ever did for our family. We've used it countless times going to MCO/FLL for our cruises and WDW trips. With young kids it is the BEST time saver. Having to wait in long security lines and customs lines with a (then) 3 year old was not on my high priority list. Being able to basically walk right through with minimal wait was worth the time to apply, go for interviews etc. I used my nexus for the first time at a land crossing last weekend and it was fantastic. I filled out the declaration form after shopping and handed it in to the agent at the window and voila it was done.

I was looking at the declaration cards you can print off on-line. Do you need to fill these out when crossing the border back into Canada by land, and if so, do you need one for each member of the family (including minors), or do you just declare verbally?

I was looking at the declaration cards you can print off on-line. Do you need to fill these out when crossing the border back into Canada by land, and if so, do you need one for each member of the family (including minors), or do you just declare verbally?

I have some printed in my car but have only used this once.

There is a one lane bridge to the USA near Niagara Falls that is for Nexus (or other pre-cleared) travellers only. It has only a single customs agent in a booth with no other infrastructure. (I wonder if they may not even be there 24-hours in which case it is completely self declared).

I was over my import allowance and they can’t take payments for anything. I dropped the form in a slot and then told the border agent. My credit card was billed a few days later.

I don’t use this form if I cross at a larger border crossing even if I use the Nexus lane. I just verbally declare my items and then take instructions if I need to pull over and pay any duties.

We applied for Nexus July 14, checked Nexus site, still under review message.
I had hopes I’d have it for Sept 16 Universal trip but doesn’t look like I will.
MCO security queues are horrendous.
Does anyone know how long initial application takes?
Also do you get an email notification or do you have to keep checking Nexus site?

I applied Aug 7... obviously haven't heard back yet. they are saying the current processing time is 25 business days, so 5 weeks. I was under the impression that you get an email though it was frustrating that I needed a separate email for each member of my family.

I had hopes I’d have it for Sept 16 Universal trip but doesn’t look like I will.
Also do you get an email notification or do you have to keep checking Nexus site?

I applied in early May when you could still do it via snail mail, so I couldn't check the website. I did not hear back from them after 2 months so I called and was told we were pre-approved. Had our interviews a couple of weeks later and received our cards after 6 business days, just in time for our recent trip to Disneyland. We crossed the border by land and it was amazing. It was the biggest line-up I have seen yet, despite the fact that it was evening on a Sunday, and there was nobody in the NEXUS line. That alone was worth $50 right there. TSA pre-check at the airport was awesome as well.

I would keep checking the website if you are in rush to get it. I was glad I called because they said they would not have notified me.

I did not get notification via email. I just kept checking the site every week. I think they might still be a little backed up from the shutdown in January.

We did our initial application in 2014 and it took 2 months for approval and then we couldn't get an interview for 3 months (we wanted it at Pearson which is busier). We just did renewals late last year and unfortunately got caught in the US government shut-down so ours was delayed. Once the government re-opened, it seemed reasonably quick. Mine was just approved and they sent me a new card, but DH had to go for an interview. Once again, we went to Pearson but he was able to get one about 3 weeks out so it seems like it may be faster now. I have to say that the place where we went in Pearson is about 5 times the size it was originally so there may be far more openings. Once he had the interview (can you call 3 minutes an interview?) he got the card in less than 2 weeks.

For renewals at least, they specifically tell you that you won't be e-mailed and you just have to check so I assume that's probably the case for all applications now.

The site says kids under 18 are free. Adults are $50. If you're getting charged a service fee you might be on a 3rd party site. My mom nearly fell for this until I got her to do her application at cbp.gov
[/QUOT

Hopefully you've already received yours, but yes, they do email you status change. I applied August 29, got an email October 17th, and booked my "interview" for October 21 (really they didn't ask me anything other than my address and where I work and phone number). Was approved immediately. Just waiting for the physical card now.

We did our initial application in 2014 and it took 2 months for approval and then we couldn't get an interview for 3 months (we wanted it at Pearson which is busier). We just did renewals late last year and unfortunately got caught in the US government shut-down so ours was delayed. Once the government re-opened, it seemed reasonably quick. Mine was just approved and they sent me a new card, but DH had to go for an interview. Once again, we went to Pearson but he was able to get one about 3 weeks out so it seems like it may be faster now. I have to say that the place where we went in Pearson is about 5 times the size it was originally so there may be far more openings. Once he had the interview (can you call 3 minutes an interview?) he got the card in less than 2 weeks.

For renewals at least, they specifically tell you that you won't be e-mailed and you just have to check so I assume that's probably the case for all applications now.
I finally got my appt, in Dec.

I finally got my appt, in Dec.

I live in Ottawa. When I got the conditional approval on October 17, the next Ottawa appointment was December 11, but I was able to book one at the 1000 Islands border crossing for October 21 - so I did that. Just drove the hour and a bit and it was super easy.

Nexus renewals seem to be happening quicker now. I applied for my renewal June 25th and had card in hand July 22nd. My daughter applied for her renewal July 30 and received her approval yesterday (August 5th). She should have her card in hand sometime next week.

Seems like the backlog has been cleared up.

do you need another interview to renew? Just wondering as a current card holder.

I don't recall any literature definitively saying yes you will or no you won't. So I guess... maybe?

FWIW I was not required to re-interview when I renewed this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!