NEXUS renewal - interview required?

When ours came up for renewal my husband and i both had to go back for interviews but our daughter did not. They asked both of us about a trip we had taken a couple years earlier to Dubai and the UAE (we had done a cruise on RCCL, our daughter did not go with us).

I had to apply for a renewal for my 5yo and he got picked for an interview. That was a fun use of time I'll never get back.

LOL... and what was the line of questioning? What's your favourite animal?

When ours came up for renewal my husband and i both had to go back for interviews but our daughter did not. They asked both of us about a trip we had taken a couple years earlier to Dubai and the UAE (we had done a cruise on RCCL, our daughter did not go with us).

Maybe they want to know why I went to Belgium for a day - we took the Eurostar from London to Brussels and had:
  1. Belgian Waffles for breakfast
  2. Belgian Beer
  3. Belgian Fries for lunch
  4. More Belgian Beer
  5. A proper meal for dinner
  6. A bit more Belgian Beer
  7. Belgian Chocolate for dessert
Left at about 6am London, got there at 9am local (they're an hour ahead of the UK), left at about 9pm and was back in London just after 10pm. A good day was had!

For us, we renewed our passports right before the expiry dates of our NEXUS cards, so we must renew our NEXUS cards with an interview. Our new passports are for 10 years. Let’s see if we need an interview when we renew it in 4 years.

It was really quite silly - the only they asked was his name, is this your mommy, and are you mad? you look mad. I guess kiddo has a bit of a resting b___ face. hahaha :D

Agent: What's your favourite animal?
Child: Blank resting b___ face stare
Agent: Come on, you can tell me.
Child: Dogs
Agent: Do you plan to bring one across the border as a pet without having it go into quarantine or receiving its required vaccinations?
Child: I think so?
Agent: **DENIED**

Agent: What's your favourite animal?
Child: Blank resting b___ face stare
Agent: Come on, you can tell me.
Child: Dogs
Agent: Do you plan to bring one across the border as a pet without having it go into quarantine or receiving its required vaccinations?
Child: I think so?
Agent: **DENIED**
:rotfl2:

I need to get Nexus! I’ve just been too lazy and half the time when I go to the US I get TSA pre approval anyway. I love in BC, so I’m only a 30-45 min drive from YVR. I just have to do it!!

Update: Two Nexus renewals approved, no interviews required. We did receive emails notifying us of an update to the accounts.
Now, one more to go!

Just had my interview today. Smooth sailing (though the US agent had questions about a few of the places I listed as having visited).

Well the US government shut down has affected me, I had an interview for my Nexus scheduled for last Saturday and they called me to cancel it, with no option to reschedule it. I went to the website and reschedule it myself for mid-Feb, which was the first available spot, which means I travel before that new appointment. I would have had a full four weeks between the original appointment and my travel date, lots of time to have the Nexus card in my hand before using it :(

Well the US government shut down has affected me, I had an interview for my Nexus scheduled for last Saturday and they called me to cancel it, with no option to reschedule it. I went to the website and reschedule it myself for mid-Feb, which was the first available spot, which means I travel before that new appointment. I would have had a full four weeks between the original appointment and my travel date, lots of time to have the Nexus card in my hand before using it :(

That stinks.

Remind me - is this a renewal or a first one? If renewal, your old one (even if expired) is good as long as you have the conditional acceptance (I think it is good for six months beyond the expiry date).

That stinks.

Remind me - is this a renewal or a first one? If renewal, your old one (even if expired) is good as long as you have the conditional acceptance (I think it is good for six months beyond the expiry date).
Nope, a new application. I guess I will hope for a random TSA precheck designation on my boarding pass for this next trip. You can bet I will be keeping this Nexus card valid, such a civilized way to get through airports :)

Nope, a new application. I guess I will hope for a random TSA precheck designation on my boarding pass for this next trip. You can bet I will be keeping this Nexus card valid, such a civilized way to get through airports :)

Assuming that they are using them.

I'm still bitter about my trip through JFK on Sunday :headache: There was a TSA pre-clear lane but it was the same used by any traveling business/first or with airline status and it just fed into the "normal" lanes, so everything still had to come out of my bag. I did get to keep my shoes on, which they tried to make sound special but I was in running shoes and they weren't making anyone with running shoes take them off.

Oh, I did get sent through the metal detector rather than the body scanner machine which was slightly faster, but I had to wait for people to empty their trays, so might as well have waited behind them for the body scanner (I have no issues with the machine).

Oh, and then my passport went missing (totally my fault for sticking a tray). I noticed it missing before I left the area and got it back, but the first agent I told was not helpful and I was almost in tears by the time I found the right (and very helpful person). It was my 50th flight this year and by far the most stressful security experience (admittedly, my fault). As a PSA, if you need help, look for someone with three stripes on their epaulets.

Coming in here to commiserate and complain - LOL. Since we live in Regina, I have to either drive 6.5 hours to Sweetgrass, MT or Pembina, ND.... or drive to Winnipeg (closest Canadian airport - Regina does not have US preclearance and hence no Nexus Enrollment Centre). Even more frustrating, this is a RENEWAL, so I was thrilled to be randomly selected for an interview when my husband was not. He got his new card back in December. Back in October, we planned a trip out to Victoria next weekend with a stop in Calgary on the way there, and Edmonton on the way back. So, I booked a Nexus interview in Calgary on the 19th as we have almost 3 hours there. So, now, whee.... although they haven't called, the Nexus site now says the US portion of the interview will have to be "rescheduled" and they can do the "Canadian portion". As someone who has been through the interview the first time, it takes literally 5 mins. SO frustrating... we now literally have to make a completely separate trip to Winnipeg or something for this. GRR.

We have a direct flight to Orlando from Regina in April, obviously no Nexus Enrollment in Orlando, and then on the return we come back via Toronto on a Sunday night 9pm, overnight there and leave at 9am the next day. In June we are going to Minneapolis for a wedding (Friday-Monday), but Pembina is only open for interviews Tues/Thurs. It can't be any more impossible for me without a completely separate "Nexus trip". Sigh.

I am for SURE going to be using the "6 month" loophole on my Orlando trip, but my 6 months 'expires' May 13th.... I'm going to see if my card still scans at the Canadian airports on this Victoria trip and hope that it's good for Orlando. I'll try my best to get to Winnipeg I guess but wow, I sure got screwed here too. Hopefully you live in a place where they can interview you, but that is really crappy if you can't get it before your trip.... I sympathise!!!

Since I have never applied for a Nexus card before, my interview Dec 29th was cancelled and I had to reschedule it myself, first available spot was Feb 14. And I leave for Orlando January 26. I should have had the card in hand before traveling in two weeks :(

We are renewing in less than 2 years so I will try to remember to apply for renewal early. Luckily we live 5 minutes from YUL and less than 1h from a land crossing. When we applied the first time my daughter did her interview at YUL (only one spot available) and the rest of us drove to Champlain, NY for ours to save weeks on the interview date offered. Having my daughter do her interview before us was a small issue but it worked out at the end.

Sorry to all those whose interviews (and thus trips) are affected by the partial shutdown. I ended up being really lucky - I had to interview for my renewal and I live in Europe so scheduled it for when I was home over Christmas. Luckily, I scheduled it very early in my trip and had it a couple of days before the shutdown started.

Sorry to all those whose interviews (and thus trips) are affected by the partial shutdown. I ended up being really lucky - I had to interview for my renewal and I live in Europe so scheduled it for when I was home over Christmas. Luckily, I scheduled it very early in my trip and had it a couple of days before the shutdown started.
Wow, good for you! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter