Nexus!

Obviously you’ve been traveling through Pearson lately. LOL. What is up with that place? The Nexus lines have been almost as bad as the regular ones, thanks to all the broken kiosks.
It's not nearly as bad as the regular ones, but they really should have done a better job of maintaining those things. I say should have, because of course they're going to facial recognition instead of iris scans. Which will cause headaches of their own, but at least the machines will be new and won't break down for 18 months or so. Maybe.

There is also an irony at land border crossings too. They will switch the Nexus lane to a generic gate when it gets busy to handle more traffic overall. So, you won’t have access to Nexus speed when you want it most there either.

But generally, Nexus is faster.

There have been times the Trusted Traveller line has been slower through security due to there only being one scanner. However, Nexus has always gotten me out faster at customs. That is with confirmed times since I had to wait for my non Nexus friends. Anywhere from 5-mins to 3-mins. Plus the seemingly endless non-nexus lines when I didn’t have to wait for anyone but guess it would be 45 minutes or more.

I’m on my 3rd Nexus card.
Overall, it helps expedite .. but certainly not what it’s hyped to be.
🤷🏼‍♀️

That's awesome that you got your approval and interview done.

My approval was quick... within the 35 business days. Still need to book the interview. Waiting for my kids to co-ordinate with me as we all need to book our appointments ourselves even though they are 13 and 15. So they need to log into their dashboards as the same time as me. I won't bother to get that done before my Disney trip next week (and it takes another 10 days or so to get the card) but will do it after so we are set for next time.

My husbands application is still pending however.... He applied the same day as me.

We had a Nexus rebate with our credit cards for our applications and the kids were free so we figured why not apply.

Last edited:
I can’t wait to finally use mine for our trip to Arizona in January. We’d hoped to use them last September for our Disneyland trip but with the government shut down our applications took a while and we didn’t get advanced to the interviews until after our trip.

I can’t wait to finally use mine for our trip to Arizona in January. We’d hoped to use them last September for our Disneyland trip but with the government shut down our applications took a while and we didn’t get advanced to the interviews until after our trip.
I was hoping to use Nexus for my Sept trip too, but it took awhile with the US govt partial shutdown. Finally got approval but had to wait for a weekend appointment because of daughters work. Our interview was Dec 1, and we got our cards in under 2weeks.
Friends who have Nexus say it’s great. I don’t think we have the same problems here on the west coast as posters are reporting.

We've never had problems going through Pearson. We're on our second Nexus cards. Best $50 I ever spent. Even better that we discovered that you can use it when you return from overseas and for domestic travel. Now I'm just trying to convince my father to get one.

Last night around 11pm, terminal three arrivals at Pearson had only ONE Nexus terminal working. About a dozen terminals had “out of service” signs on them. Frustrating, but still faster than the regular line.

I was hoping to use Nexus for my Sept trip too, but it took awhile with the US govt partial shutdown. Finally got approval but had to wait for a weekend appointment because of daughters work. Our interview was Dec 1, and we got our cards in under 2weeks.
Friends who have Nexus say it’s great. I don’t think we have the same problems here on the west coast as posters are reporting.

Maybe it's just Toronto? I hate Pearson with a passion. I'm in Ottawa, and it worked great for me here. Same with in Orlando.

PS - I'm a Victoria girl originally (just moved here 6 years ago). I love the West coast.

Maybe it's just Toronto? I hate Pearson with a passion. I'm in Ottawa, and it worked great for me here. Same with in Orlando.

PS - I'm a Victoria girl originally (just moved here 6 years ago). I love the West coast.
I think so. one of the reasons I avoid Toronto. That airport is crazy. And I’ve had major delays and cancelled flights flying thru Pearson. I avoid Chicago too!
And I much rather go thru customs before I get on the flight here in YVR.
YVR is much smaller than Pearson, so less problems.

Us too!

We never had any issue with our Nexus cards at YUL or at land crossings (Champlain ou 1000 islands). Last summer we saved at least 2h of waiting (combining different crossing wait times).

I'm guessing that Toronto is getting the new machines soon, so they just aren't bothering to fix the machines.

The iris scan doesn't work with my youngest anyway, so no matter what we have to go up to the customs booth. Still faster. Unfortunately, getting the bags is still the same amount of time (long in T3. Really long in T1). They must put everything through the x-ray on the way in or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!