Night of Joy 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
As horrible as it is to say, I did not enjoy NoJ and would not have done it again. The park was completely overrun with youth groups who didn't behave as if they were representing their churches. I know teens will be teens, but it was way worse than cheerleader week.

I have been searching for months. The Facebook page was deleted, the event was removed from the Disney website, and UT saying it's not returning. It all seems to add up that the event is cancelled. I'm hoping it's not permanent. I just emailed Disney yesterday. Waiting for a response. I told them that the least they can do is make a statement to all the fans who enjoyed attending year after year. This was an event me and my daughter's went to every year. I'm heart broken that they would do this. I just hope they say something and explain what happened. Universal released their dates and line up this week. I am looking into possibly attending rock the universe this year. I love disney but we mostly attended because of the event. When we return for just a vacation to Disney it will be the whole family. I have younger ones who were too young for the late nights and older ones with a disability that would upset their anxiety at the concerts so that's why we didn't all go for NOJ. I will share the response from Disney when I get one.

As horrible as it is to say, I did not enjoy NoJ and would not have done it again. The park was completely overrun with youth groups who didn't behave as if they were representing their churches. I know teens will be teens, but it was way worse than cheerleader week.
couldn't agree more. The term teens will be teens is just an excuse for parents not to take responsibility to monitor their kids.
NOJ went down hill fast especially when it moved out of MK

According to the email response I got tonight they say it is happening but no details have been released yet. I called too and again was told the same thing. They all keep saying to stay tuned and keep watching for updates. I won't hold my breath on that happening. I find it hard to believe that after 37 yrs they all of a sudden are doing things differently this year:rolleyes1

According to the email response I got tonight they say it is happening but no details have been released yet. I called too and again was told the same thing. They all keep saying to stay tuned and keep watching for updates. I won't hold my breath on that happening. I find it hard to believe that after 37 yrs they all of a sudden are doing things differently this year:rolleyes1

Thanks for the update! I guess we'll have to wait and see.

its over, just called the old night of joy line end of last week and they told me they are not having the event.

its over, just called the old night of joy line end of last week and they told me they are not having the event.

That's what I expected. It's upsetting that Disney isn't telling the truth and they are just blowing everyone off. An explanation would be nice but I'm sure we won't get it. The least they can do is just say it's been cancelled.

Were you able to get an explanation

they just said it was due to low attendance, honestly in my opinion they knew they were going to get rid of it when they moved it from MK. what did they honestly expect to happen? It will be Rock the Universe for my youth group from now on.

they just said it was due to low attendance, honestly in my opinion they knew they were going to get rid of it when they moved it from MK. what did they honestly expect to happen? It will be Rock the Universe for my youth group from now on.
Low attendance last year was because of Hurricane Irma and probably because they moved it to ESPN Wide World of Sports from MK. Last year was the first year my schedule would allow me to go and then I had to cancel due thanks to Irma. I have wanted to go for so many years and was kind of bummed that it was moved to WWoS but was going to go regardless until the weather changed my plans. I was going to go this year no matter what!! I wish we could see the attendance records from years past.

This makes me so sad. I couldn't go two years ago cause my sister n law got married, then last year the hurricane... guess I to will be looking into Rock the Universe...

After speaking to 2 CM via email one saying oh yes it will be back and to keep watching for updates and the other saying sorry but they have no confirmation to yes or no. Which doesn't surprise me after the backlash they got when they first moved it to ESPN Disney doesn't want anymore negativity so just easier to hide and avoid.

Me and my girls had been going for years. We went to it the first time it was at ESPN and we enjoyed it. Last year we missed the Saturday concert because of Irma of course. We live close by so we went up Friday spent the night and came home Saturday to get ready for the hurricane. I'm still unsure if we will go to RTU. We are looking at buying a house and I am saving for a Disney Christmas 2019 trip.

Just confirmed an hour ago ... to Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...disney-night-joy-canceled-20180503-story.html

There will be no Night of Joy event at Walt Disney World in 2018, and there are no plans for the series of Christian-music concerts to return to the resort in the future, a Disney World spokeswoman has confirmed.

“Last year was our last event,” the spokeswoman said Thursday.

The event began in 1983 at Magic Kingdom, where it remained for most of its 35-year run. There was a two-year span at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and for the past two years it had been held at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex. The second night of the 2017 event was called of because of the threat of Hurricane Irma.

Among the final performers last year were TobyMac and MercyMe. No lineup had been announced for a possible 2018 event.

Through the years, the festival — almost exclusively held in early September — has attracted big names of the Christian-music genre including Steven Curtis Chapman, Amy Grant, Jars of Clay, Newsboys, Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin, Kirk Franklin, Michael W. Smith, CeCe Winans, Stryper and Debby Boone.

It may have inspired a competitor. In 1998, Universal Studios started holding a two-night, extra-ticket event called Rock the Universe, featuring Christian artists. It will be held Sept. 7-8 this year. Among its 12 acts wil be Jesus Culture, TobyMac and Casting Crowns.

The elimination of the Night of Joy event was part of the resort’s philosophy of “continually changing our offerings,” the Disney World spokeswoman said.

Christian artists MercyMe and Tauren Wells will be in the Eat to the Beat concerts series, part of the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival this year. Both artists will appear in for six concerts over two nights in early September.

They moved it out MK for a reason I guess...to phase it out.

I have no doubt it was step one to put into play ending it.

It was a problem for Disney in the MK for multiple reasons. Moving it would have solved some of the problems, dropped attendance and then a storm ---- it all made it easier for them to discontinue.

Disney does special events to increase attendance and spending ... I doubt this event helped that at all. There are a number of events at WWoS they have stopped doing, there are parties that came and went, 24 Hour Event came and went .... you don't spend a ton of money for an event if it's not going to be profitable. Add to that all the issues NoJ brought, no surprise.

Last edited:
"there are no plans for the series of Christian-music concerts to return to the resort in the future"

Hallelujah!

(They messed up my MK plans one night and I’m still bitter.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter