Nitrous oxide for dental procedures anyone?

Alberta bound

Mouseketeer
I have to have a tooth pulled in a couple weeks. I think it's an upper molar. I've had teeth pulled in the past with just novocaine. Nitrous is being offered. I'm thinking about trying it. Maybe. Probably.

Has anyone had nitrous for procedures? How did it go? What was it like? Most importantly, will I feel nice and relaxed? I'm just not overly fond of going to the dentist in general. :rolleyes:

I have to have a tooth pulled in a couple weeks. I think it's an upper molar. I've had teeth pulled in the past with just novocaine. Nitrous is being offered. I'm thinking about trying it. Maybe. Probably.

Has anyone had nitrous for procedures? How did it go? What was it like? Most importantly, will I feel nice and relaxed? I'm just not overly fond of going to the dentist in general. :rolleyes:
Nitrous is a wonder!!! I'd never be able to go to the dentist without it.

You feel like you feel when you're just falling asleep (feet warm, and relaxed) but you're still aware of what's going on.

I had it once because I had major dental phobia after a bad experience as a child. I had my first cavity (I was maybe 30?) and I was terrified of the drill.
I hated the nitrous. It made me feel out of control, like in a bad dream you can’t wake up from. I had a panic attack. The drill was way easier in the end lol

I've had nitrous a few times, I thought it helped a lot (still had the novocaine of course.) The dentist I go to now doesn't use it but he's an awfully good dentist so it's not necessary. If you think it would help I'd suggest giving it a try.

Get the nitrous! I had not been to the dentist in years, long story and huge fear. Anyway, been going to get lots of work done. Had two teeth pulled with nitrous and novacain. Did not feel a thing! Also, the doctor gave me a “cocktail” of Advil and Tylenol to follow for 24 hours after the procedure. I did not have a moment of pain. Seriously, not a moment.

Just had one pulled with nitrous. Positive experience. I ended up laughing during the procedure because the whole thing struck me as absurd. I don't know why. LOL. Anyway, I was pretty happy. :-) I have no dental phobia and have had every procedure known to mankind in my mouth, but it sure made the whole thing easy peasy. Recovery was uneventful. I do think there's something about being relaxed and not tense that makes healing better.

As a note, not all insurance will cover the nitrous. I was told it could increase my OOP cost about $100. We'll see.

Yes, it will help you relax. Make sure you get the novocaine, as well.

I love the stuff and wouldn't see a dentist that didn't use it.

I've had several teeth pulled, bridge work, crowns, etc. They start the nitrous oxide right away and it is wonderful, it makes me so relaxed and if the dentist can't get to me right away (sometimes he goes back and forth between patients) I swear I fall asleep.

I still get the novocaine of course, and my dentist even puts a little bit of numbing gel on the spot first where he is going to give the shot. They put it on a q-tip (or something similar, not totally sure) and dab it on the spot then have you sit there with your mouth closed to keep it in place for a couple of minutes and then I don't even feel the needle when they give me the shot.

We do not have dental insurance, so we pay for everything ourselves. Our dentist does not charge extra for the nitrous oxide, so that's nice of him to do.

I even like to have the nitrous oxide when I have a cleaning and they don't mind letting me have it for that.

I think my excessive fear of the dentist started when I was in 4th grade, I had a cavity and my dentist then (thankfully he is retired!) said it was small enough that I didn't need novocaine. I was petrified he was going to hit a nerve, so I sat there clutching the arms of the chair. He did hit the nerve, twice. Kept saying "just a little bit more." So, dealing with that when I was just a child was horrible.

I love the stuff and wouldn't see a dentist that didn't use it.

I've had several teeth pulled, bridge work, crowns, etc. They start the nitrous oxide right away and it is wonderful, it makes me so relaxed and if the dentist can't get to me right away (sometimes he goes back and forth between patients) I swear I fall asleep.

I still get the novocaine of course, and my dentist even puts a little bit of numbing gel on the spot first where he is going to give the shot. They put it on a q-tip (or something similar, not totally sure) and dab it on the spot then have you sit there with your mouth closed to keep it in place for a couple of minutes and then I don't even feel the needle when they give me the shot.

We do not have dental insurance, so we pay for everything ourselves. Our dentist does not charge extra for the nitrous oxide, so that's nice of him to do.

I even like to have the nitrous oxide when I have a cleaning and they don't mind letting me have it for that.

I think my excessive fear of the dentist started when I was in 4th grade, I had a cavity and my dentist then (thankfully he is retired!) said it was small enough that I didn't need novocaine. I was petrified he was going to hit a nerve, so I sat there clutching the arms of the chair. He did hit the nerve, twice. Kept saying "just a little bit more." So, dealing with that when I was just a child was horrible.
I hear you - those children's dentists are brutal. Both my sister & I can't have any dental work done unless we're either getting nitrous or are knocked out. Traced it back to a children's dentist we both had at around age 8-10. His attitude was "if it doesn't hurt, you don't learn your lesson". I guess the lesson was take better care of our teeth, but I seriously doubt that's the way to handle it.

Last edited:
It's the only way I'll do dental procedures for my extreme phobia (right up there with spiders! ) of dentists. I would love to just be totally knocked out but that's a little over the edge I know!! :teeth:
Like you, I have an extreme phobia of dentists and spiders.

I had to have a root canal and no one around here uses it, so I ended up taking Xanax. It worked like a dream.

I've had it twice...before they figured out I was allergic to it. Horrendous experience, but very rare. I vomited for 4 days and ended up in the hospital for IV Fluids. There a quite a few doctors who aren't using it anymore due to the exposure their staff gets.

I had to have a root canal and no one around here uses it, so I ended up taking Xanax.
I'm afraid (read that as "really afraid) I'm going to have to find some other "crutch". Since my husband's retirement, we have a different dental plan. So I can't go to the dentist I've been using (he has nitrous). So far, all the dentists I've called that are in our new plan don't "do" nitrous.

I'm afraid (read that as "really afraid) I'm going to have to find some other "crutch". Since my husband's retirement, we have a different dental plan. So I can't go to the dentist I've been using (he has nitrous). So far, all the dentists I've called that are in our new plan don't "do" nitrous.
I went to my primary and told him about my phobia. And how no one around here uses Nitrous. He said that it was "an easy fix." And I walked out with a script.

It was the first time I walked into the dentist office and didn't lose my mind.

DD1 just had to get a root canal due to a broken front tooth. We insisted that she be given nitrous. The dentist was a bit leary because his adult patients don't generally request it, but we didn't want her to be scared to go to the regular dentist for the rest of her life. So, she got it, it worked great, and it helped keep her calm. She was glad it have it & seemed to get through it easily. And no lasting after effects.

As mentioned, some people can have bad reactions to nitrous. I know people who have felt nauseous and even vomited while on it. I used nitrous oxide when I had all four impacted wisdom teeth removed. I remember sitting in the chair with the mask on waiting to "feel" something and thinking to myself that the nitrous wasn't working and they were going to need to do something else. I looked at the nurse in the room about to tell her it wasn't working when I burst out laughing at her for absolutely no reason. I just remember apologizing over and over, but I couldn't stop laughing - it clearly was working well :rotfl: They could have done anything to me at that moment and I was so chill, I didn't care. I didn't feel sleepy at all, I knew what was happening and I remember everything. I would recommend it if you have the choice!

On a somewhat related note, a local hospital here has started using nitrous oxide during labor for pregnant women giving birth. That sounds amazing!

Last edited:
:wave:

If I could get nitrous for cleanings, I would. I *HATE* the dentist. It's not a phobia (I'm not scared), I just hate going. Anything more than a cleaning and give me the gas. As far as how it feels... for me, it's like almost falling asleep. I can still tell what's happening, but I don't really care. I'll bring my headphones and listen to podcasts or music and just zone out and let the dentist do his thing.

I chose my current dentist for the sole reason he offers nitrious and sedation if necessary. So far I haven't needed it for cleanings but did get it when I had a cavity and it was wonderful. Similar to someone who posted above, I had a horrible experience when I was a kid with a dentist who said my cavity was small enough to not need novocain and it was soooo painful (he hit the nerve) and I've been scared of the dentist since.

I’m a huge fan even paying $120 for it since it’s not covered. My son does not like it. He kept asking to have it turned down (I’m the opposite I keep asking for them to turn it up). I will say once I think I got a little too much for too long and did have a little anxiety/paranoia attack but as soon as they turned it down a little I was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter