Nitrous oxide for dental procedures anyone?

Have you ever had it before? Although it is very unlikely, if you have a bad reaction to it you will be in extreme trouble. The dentist won't have the necessary resuscitation equipment if you stop breathing. My dentist refuses to use nitrous. Again, this is a very rare occurrence but possible. I had it 30+ years ago and though it was fine just like everyone above. But no more.

edit
Don't let the nickname "laughing gas" fool you. Not too long ago it was one of the main anesthetic gases administered by nurse anesthetists and anesthesiologists in ORs for surgery until better and safer drugs became available. The dentist is hardly trained to administer and not likely trained to handle problems. Anyone being given a general anesthetic should be monitored with a heart monitor and pulse oxcimeter.

Last edited:
As mentioned, some people can have bad reactions to nitrous. I know people who have felt nauseous and even vomited while on it. I used nitrous oxide when I had all four impacted wisdom teeth removed. I remember sitting in the chair with the mask on waiting to "feel" something and thinking to myself that the nitrous wasn't working and they were going to need to do something else. I looked at the nurse in the room about to tell her it wasn't working when I burst out laughing at her for absolutely no reason. I just remember apologizing over and over, but I couldn't stop laughing - it clearly was working well :rotfl: They could have done anything to me at that moment and I was so chill, I didn't care. I didn't feel sleepy at all, I knew what was happening and I remember everything. I would recommend it if you have the choice!

On a somewhat related note, a local hospital here has started using nitrous oxide during labor for pregnant women giving birth. That sounds amazing!
I don't seem to have any reaction to it. That's why I'd prefer nitrous to taking some pill or other. With the nitrous, once the procedure is done, and they turn up the oxygen, it clears your system. I can drive myself to and from my appointment.

With the pill sedation, you need some one to drive you home.

I only use a dentist if they do the nitrous

I have always had a fear with dentistry and do not sit in a chair without it

Yes even for just a check up I get the nitrous

It depends on how your body does with mood altering drugs. For me, they are horrible. It makes me sick and I can not stand the feeling of being loopy and out of control. Just numb me up and I can handle it, it's really not a big deal to get worked on if you are numb.

OP here. Thank you everyone for your replies. It has given me alot of food for thought. I'm still leaning pretty heavily towards having it, along with novocaine. I still have time to reconsider my decision but I usually do quite well with anesthetics, etc.

It depends on how your body does with mood altering drugs. For me, they are horrible. It makes me sick and I can not stand the feeling of being loopy and out of control. Just numb me up and I can handle it, it's really not a big deal to get worked on if you are numb.
Unfortunately, it is that big a deal, if you're absolutely terrified of going to the dentist. Just being numb doesn't solve the problem.

If I could remove my brain from the process of going to the dentist, I'd be fine with whatever they do. Nitrous accomplishes that, with little to no after effects for me. But, of course, no one knows how they're going to handle whatever chemicals they want to use, until such time as they actually use them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter