"No Diapers in Disney"

i don't have kids but to me diapers sound easier then potty age kid cause it is on you, do you have to go? ok get in line your about get it on the ride daddy I have to go now bad, well that was wait time well spent and I think by now most men rooms have a changing table in them.

Agree with some others - we've taken both kids every year since our oldest was 1. They're now 8 and 6. Trips with diapers were WAY easier than the first trip with each potty trained!

Congratulations on the birth of your son! Fun and challenging times ahead of you for sure. I'd like to weigh in on Disney for young, young children. Yes, they won't remember it, but they will enjoy it. So they won't remember the first time they meet Mickey, but you will, and you'll have the photos to remind you how happy he was at that moment. One day, he'll see the photos, and although it won't trigger his memory of the moment, he'll recognize how happy he was.
Unless of course, you have the child who freaks out when he sees a character.

Grandma and grandpa are bonafide Disney fiends and can't wait to take us all on a trip as a family.

Congratulations on your son! As a Nana (with Papa too) taking our adult kids and 4 grandkids to WDW next May (they will be 13 months - 5 1/2 YO), I say, if the grandparents want to take you, just go! It won't be your only trip presumably. In the big scheme of things diapers are really not that big of a deal. Life is too short to put off family fun just for doing what is "convenient". Unfortunately family fun plans often get interrupted by more serious issues. So go and enjoy!

Congrats!! ....We took my DS at 4 weeks old (DL AP's)... diapers was way easier than when my son was newly trained. He was scared at the loud potty's at Disney, and that was way more stressful than dealing with diapers (he would just hold it). I am currently 12 weeks pregnant with #2, and am going to WDW in 2 weeks. We are going to upgrade to Premier passes while we are there (less than $100 to upgrade our tickets), and our DD will have her first WDW trip at 5 months next August (and plenty more DL visits at that point under her belt).

Oh, and most of the time during diaper changes, my husband would be the one to change him in the men's room. Never any lines for the diaper changing tables there. Win points with your wife and volunteer to do the changes at Disney. ;)

We've enjoyed all ages of bringing our kids. 3 months - 3 years. I think a "rule" like that is silly if you have the desire and money to go to Disney. Diaper changes are no big deal. Disney has great diaper changing areas in all bathrooms. I'd honestly would rather change either of my baby's diapers (6m and 20m) than take my 4 year old in the stall for her to go to the bathroom!

As some have said--what about future children? If you take your child when they are three--and then little brother is born, the older child needs to wait 3-4 years to go again? And I hate to say this, but what if an "oops!" baby comes along before your oldest is potty trained.

The trips I've taken with my babies and toddlers have been priceless memories. I'm taking 2 in diapers this fall.

We took our son at 23 months, and we didn't find the diapers to be difficult. I wore a backpack and barely noticed it was there. I kept diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes for him in there.
I used the baby stations at MK and nursed him at one point.
He loved the characters and enjoyed the parade.

We took DD to WDW for her 1st bday and to Disneyland at 15 months. She is 2.5 now
and (thankfully) still in diapers. I cringe at the thought of bringing a newly potty trained toddler there! I've been secretly hoping she wouldn't want to potty train before our trip. We're training when we get home. I think diapers are sooooo easy at Disney parks.

We are taking DS for his 1st bday over Labor Day week.

You should go when it feels right. I will say that when we took DD for her 1st bday, her reactions to the fireworks, parade, meeting Mickey were magical. She will not remember it but we will. We also took photos and videos that she can look back on when she's older. It was an amazing trip. And that's why we're doing it again for DS 1st bday! :) We will see how he reacts!

Last edited:
Congratulations!

My husband and I are expecting our boy in November, and we have been thinking similarly in terms of not taking him to the parks till he is at least two, although this is less about diapers and more about rides, character meals, etc. However, we still want to have some Disney magic with him as a baby, so we have booked a Disney cruise. Not sure if that's something you'd be interested in, but might be a way to compromise with grandparents! :)

I'm sure this has been covered before here or elsewhere, but I'm too impatient to search...
New dad as of yesterday, to a beautiful son. I definitely can't wait to take him on a trip to WDW, but my wife and I agreed on a "no diapers in Disney rule." We figure that by the time he is out of diapers he'll be old enough to really experience everything, plus we won't have to lug around diapers and stop and change him throughout the day.

Grandma and grandpa are bonafide Disney fiends and can't wait to take us all on a trip as a family. Of course I'd like this to happen at somepoint, but not as soon as they may want. What's the earliest some of you have taken kids down? There some credence to the guideline my wife and I came up with? Anyone else have similar plans? Or should we just go along with grandma and grandpa?
I'm sure this has been covered before here or elsewhere, but I'm too impatient to search...
New dad as of yesterday, to a beautiful son. I definitely can't wait to take him on a trip to WDW, but my wife and I agreed on a "no diapers in Disney rule." We figure that by the time he is out of diapers he'll be old enough to really experience everything, plus we won't have to lug around diapers and stop and change him throughout the day.

Grandma and grandpa are bonafide Disney fiends and can't wait to take us all on a trip as a family. Of course I'd like this to happen at somepoint, but not as soon as they may want. What's the earliest some of you have taken kids down? There some credence to the guideline my wife and I came up with? Anyone else have similar plans? Or should we just go along with grandma and grandpa?

I have a 15 month old and the one thing I've learned as a parent is that the rules I thought I'd have, I don't lol. For me, I wouldn't have taken an infant or baby to Disney - formula, nursing, multiple naps a day etc. But now that my daughter is walking, recognizing characters, interacting, eating what we eat, and down to 1 nap a day, I cannot wait to take her!!! Give yourself some time and go when it feels right for you guys. I'd much rather change a quick diaper in a stroller than change clothes from a potty accident b/c my little one was trying to hold it while waiting for a ride. There's a sweet spot in between baby days and potty training that I think you'll love to share with your son in Disney ;)

When we went in 2011, my twins were newly turned one so they stayed home but I brought my 2.5 year old daughter. And of course she was mid-potty training and was doing alright but then, she got sick and it was icky to the say the least. I say waiting to that age is fine. I won't do it before because they won't remember a lick and if you hit the toddler years, plastic bags and back up clothes are your friends. We're going this November and I'm still going to be packing back-up clothes because the newly turned 7 year olds may end up ill or who knows. :)

Also, congratulations.

I just took our 16 month old in May. We originally had the same rule, until we realized Grandma is slowing down - even though my DD won't form those memories, my Mom will cherish that time.
And she surprised us - she had an absolute BLAST! She was old enough to enjoy the slow rides and excited to see Mickey and friends. Diapers were honestly a breeze - the best changing stations of any place anywhere - solid, clean, and EVERYWHERE (even in the men's room).

Biggest Bonus: Under 2 is FREEEEEEE! :yay: Take advantage! Buffets were happy to bring our LO drinks, extra finger fruit, and anything we needed even though she wasn't technically a paying customer.

Congratulations. We have three kids, and we took both of our girls at 9 mo. Our son is only a few months old. We haven't made any plans for our next trip, but he will probably be around he same age. For us, that was a great age. The kids were old enough to interact but still not walking. I think once they start walking and potty training the trip is a lot more work. They want to run around and you have to either clean up accidents or take them potty every few hours.

I have two kids 8 and almost 6 - and we are Disneyland locals. We went a lot at almost every age, but there is one age/stage that I could not handle. When my youngest was 18ish months and refused to sit in the stroller and refused to stand still waiting in a queue. If she was the only kid it would have been fine and we could have just gone at her pace, but I had the 4ish year old too and there were things she wanted to do. It was the only time I let my pass lapse for non-financial reasons. I just couldn't handle it anymore. The diapers were generally a non-issue at Disney. The bathrooms and baby care centers make it super easy. I mean you have to change them at home too, might as well change them at Disney.

For us WDW is a big trip and we are going for the first time next summer with a 9yo and a 6yo. Since we have DL so close no way was I convincing DH to go before then!

Really depends on the person. I am always out and about daily with my kids. I brought my 8 month old and 2 year old to Disney (from Canada) and in my opinion much easier and fun than staying home in weather that was really too cold.

Yes babies are work but no more work at Disney than home in my opinion.

Congratulations on the birth of your son! I'm sure you will have many lovely Disney trips to look forward to!

I know I'm late.
Raised 3 going to Disney.
DS1 since 1 years old.
DS2 since 3 years old.
DD since 4 mos old.

First off, in diapers is WAY easier than newly trained (been there done both).
And I know with first kids you think you have to carry the whole nursery ... you don't.
Even if he is trained and all, you'll still need a stroller, and it can carry your gear.

I get that waiting solves the potty, the construction etc but .....
unless it is a once in a lifetime trip it doesn't matter the stage you are at.

I would plan two styles of trips ....

Trip one the Grandparents want to take you on.
Four adults to helping with one child is heaven at WDW.
Plenty to carry, tag team and assist in all ways.
Adults ride E tickets while adults watch and then switch.
Younger they are better they sleep in stroller and your hours to enjoy parks longer.
Grands will love it, you will love the extra hands and wee one will have fun plus great photos later.

Trip two will be the three of you, solidly potty trained, less burdened.
Time to up some rides and meals.
Also trip to do day breaks, naps, swimming and chilling.
Old enough for great conversation, exclamation, meeting characters etc.

I've been going since it opened at all ages for me and my kids.
Every trip is different and I just don't believe in waiting until a "perfect" time because there is none.
Since it sounds like you will be regulars .............. why wait?

NOTE:
I would never take an infant in summer,
too difficult to keep hydrated and covered.
My 4 mo old trip was Oct.

^^^ THIS. (more on this below)

I wouldn't want to live by that rule because we might be living by it for multiple children.

As of right now I choose to not go while pregnant or before the baby is a year old. My OBGYN is still very concerned about Zika and after the measles outbreak at Disneyland I want him to have his MMR vaccine before we go.

I don't really see the need to wait based on diaper changes. You will have to pack more, but even that depends on the child. Some babies spit up all of the time, some have frequent blowouts, some need formula, etc. Those issues create a heavier diaper bag, but some babies don't have any of those issues and you can pack pretty light. On the go diaper changes are not pleasant experiences (my son has started gator rolling), but you'll probably be pretty experienced with them by the time you would go. Like some others have said, potty training in Disney sounds a lot harder than changing diapers.

As far as the him remembering point...I'm an adult who likes Disney World. I don't understand why I have to wait until my child can remember it. It's like if someone told me they can't go to Hawaii until their child can remember it. When people have a financial reason, I understand waiting. When they're only going for their kids, I understand waiting. Not going when the adults would enjoy it simply because the baby won't remember is lost on me.

Congratulations on your son! I hope you enjoy your trip whenever you decide to go.
We just returned and did not see a single mosquito. Giant dispensers of insect repellent (free) were readily available everywhere, too. Obviously it is a personal risk assessment, but WDW seemed far more mosquito-free than many other places.

To weigh in on packing/going to the parks: we used a clear plastic stadium bag and a skip hop diaper clutch, when our YDD was tiny, she blew out frequently - so we always packed 1 extra outfit in the plastic bag. One "bonus" to taking a very young one <6 months is that if they are EBF, there is no need for bottles, formula, or snacks. I found traveling with a little infant much easier than the toddler stages!

Congratulations on the birth of your son! Fun and challenging times ahead of you for sure. I'd like to weigh in on Disney for young, young children. Yes, they won't remember it, but they will enjoy it. So they won't remember the first time they meet Mickey, but you will, and you'll have the photos to remind you how happy he was at that moment. One day, he'll see the photos, and although it won't trigger his memory of the moment, he'll recognize how happy he was.
Unless of course, you have the child who freaks out when he sees a character.

^^^ THIS, too.

To back up a little - my daughters are now 6 and 21 months. My mom just up and booked a timeshare vacation in Orlando in June 2013, when my ODD was 21 months, even though we told her that ODD was too young and wouldn't remember any of it. My mom had already been diagnosed with a particular dementia, but she was then a vibrant and active 70, and showing no real signs of her dementia (the dx happened because she was showing some signs that we thought were mini-strokes). I think she decided she wanted to enjoy WDW with her first (and at the time, only) granddaughter when *she* (my mom) could still enjoy it. ODD enjoyed it so much, even though we knew she wasn't going to remember it. My sister and her partner came along too, so we had 6 adults and 1 toddler, and it was so nice for the adults to take adult time and switch off with ODD. Everyone was young and mostly healthy and able to enjoy it. We were able to have the same group together in February 2016, plus 2 new babies, and although my mom needed considerable help getting around and eating in restaurants, she still really enjoyed being with all 3 grandkids at Disney.

We ended up going again in 2014 (right before ODD turned 3), 2015 (I had a conference in Orlando, and I was 9 weeks pregnant with YDD), and then twice in 2016 (I was on maternity leave, and one of the trips DH had a conference). We just got back from a 2-week trip. Each trip has had its challenges and its magical moments, and with ODD each trip has gotten more and more magical. I am a big fan of the 3-year birthday trip (or 2.9 yo trip), because you save so much relative to taking them at 3.1, and they are able to enjoy the same things. Character meals are relatively cheaper and they get into the parks for free. For our 2 trips, in 2016, YDD was 3 months and then 4.5 months old, and she was super easy and portable. We went to many fireworks shows where she just slept in the boba carrier with her baby headphones on, and I was able to enjoy dinner a lot more than I did this time, with a wiggly and independent toddler. Although this most recent trip, she was able to tell us which rides she enjoyed (pretty much all of them, but especially Dumbo and Navi River), and she liked meeting characters from about 3 feet away.

The trips in 2016, when YDD was an infant, were in late February and mid-April. The weather was glorious - 60s-70s in February/March, and 70s to low 80s in April. I would not have taken an infant in the summer months, because I think it's too hot. But October-April would be perfect.

We took our DS for his 1 year birthday for his first trip. Diapers, per se, aren't a big deal to me because the diaper bag was just thrown in the bottom of the stroller. Unless you are planning to wait until after the stroller days, I wouldn't base it on carrying around a diaper bag. My thought has always been "you don't know how many tomorrows you have", so I don't like to wait for family vacations. Of course, that's just my own opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter